Building up a Thruxton.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Dam! This stuff makes my mind spin. Noticed on one of his donor motors the front stay snapped off like mine. This must be a common occurance in front collisions.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Starting pulling the head off, Triumph really believes in fastener retention. Broke two T 30 bits getting the cams out, and using every trick 47 years of wrenching has taught me, still only have three of the head nuts off. I don`t want to round out the silly putty grade nuts and running out of options quick.

The old trick of welding another nut on top might not work due to access and drilling top off is out too. I do have left hand drills to try next, although if it runs down to the stud without releasing nut, my problem will grow larger while my swearing vocabulary evolves into tool launching.

Anybody run across this scene before?

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
So,gave it a day to rattle around in my head and while riding out to the coast for lunch it came to me. Shorten the hex wrench and put a standard socket around it to stabilize the wrench while transfering the torque to the flange. Now head is off and bare,off to welder tomorrow.

Attachments

• Thruxton rebuild 10 1 2012 cylinder head 012.jpg
    Thruxton rebuild 10 1 2012 cylinder head 012.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Head repaired, good thing as new bare head from Triumph is 1400 bucks! I will not complain about Harley parts prices anymore, top end gasket set is $250.00...:eeek:

Attachments

• Thruxton head repair 001.jpg
    Thruxton head repair 001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0

Motley

750cc
Head repaired, good thing as new bare head from Triumph is 1400 bucks! I will not complain about Harley parts prices anymore, top end gasket set is $250.00...:eeek:

I hope I'm not pointing out the obvious, but you'll wanna make sure that rocker cover sealing face hasn't been warped from the welding heat.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
I hope I'm not pointing out the obvious, but you'll wanna make sure that rocker cover sealing face hasn't been warped from the welding heat.

Excellent call. I did run a straight edge over it I brought it home with no daylight showing ,the picture gives an impression of a downward cant.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Spent 200 bucks at local dealer, of course not one part in stock...in a week they tell me. Picked up a cheap Harbour Freight C-clamp to butcher into a valve spring compressor. That is all.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Got all head parts in last week, had to get new valve lapping compound so figured new prussian blue and hand lapper would come in handy for another project later. Hope to get head back together tomorrow.

Attachments

• valve lapping set 002.jpg
    valve lapping set 002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Fabbed up a valve spring retainer tool from an old Hazet Mercedes D309 transit bus tool. Weather is still very nice day here,so lapped/installed and cleaned up head for install.

Seeing the frame thread makes me get the sawzall out and remove the rear pass pegs/mounts, that really cleans up the back of these.

Attachments

• thruxton head rebuild 001.jpg
    thruxton head rebuild 001.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0

Motley

750cc
Fabbed up a valve spring retainer tool from an old Hazet Mercedes D309 transit bus tool. Weather is still very nice day here,so lapped/installed and cleaned up head for install.

Seeing the frame thread makes me get the sawzall out and remove the rear pass pegs/mounts, that really cleans up the back of these.

Let's see the frame.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Let's see the frame.

Before and after. It just open up the back so much better. I will probably go with TT pipes anyway so they would be just riding around back there.

Attachments

• frame chop thruxton 001.jpg
    frame chop thruxton 001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
  • frame chop thruxton 002.jpg
    frame chop thruxton 002.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0

Motley

750cc
Before and after. It just open up the back so much better. I will probably go with TT pipes anyway so they would be just riding around back there.

Wow. It does really clean up the back end. Do you intend to paint the frame a different colour?

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Still kicking color around. If I go with wrinkle black motor, frame will be differemt color. The cam covers on these just bug me and need something to liven it up.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Heard of anyone widening the swing arms on these? To match the Trophy 1200 front end I would slip the bigger rear wheel in but it needs about 3/4 " more to make disc work.

Motley

750cc
I know wider rear tyres have been installed but I don't recall reading of anyone using or fabricating a wider swing-arm.

dschief

750cc
There is, or was, a company in the UK that was making aluminum swing arms for Bonnevilles. You could spec the width as I remember. I can't find the link right now, but probably wouldn't be allowed to post it anyway owing to forum regulations. They seemed reasonably priced, considering that they are a custom order item. Try doing a websearch for Triumph Bonneville aluminum swing arms if that sounds like something you want.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Its not the tire size so much as fitting the Trophy 1200 180/50/17 tire/wheel combo in. It will slide in swingarm and not touch any part of it but is too tight at the axle and fitting the disc brake caliper won`t work.

I know better when doing a project build,but still tossed the trophy swing arm which would have given me the exact dimenision needed. I will look into the aftermarket ones while I scheme on how to widen this one. In the old days (oh here we go again) the round tubing was no problem to do this stuff.

Kinda looking at other options makes me think the Speedmaster or America model has a wider swing arm? Believe they run a wider wheel.

Last edited: