Barking Dogs

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Throw some Prestone in a six pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon and throw it into the yard...the dogs should be just fine.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
We sometimes have barking dog issues where I live. Fortunately they don't go on long enough for me to have to call someone. But when it's late at night I really do want to shoot the dog - or the owner. Just as well we don't have guns here! :)

I think there should be stronger laws about the size of dog you are allowed to own on a small block of land. It's just not fair on the animals. They usually bark because they are going crazy without enough attention or room to run.

We had some noisy neighbours, only in their case it was doof-doof music in the very early hours. So being a guitarist who dabbles in amp building I went into the room closest to their bedrooms one morning at around 9.00, opened the window and tested one of my amps to see how it performed at full volume. It performed really well, except that I forgot to tune the guitar properly. Oh well. What can you do?

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
We had some noisy neighbours, only in their case it was doof-doof music in the very early hours. So being a guitarist who dabbles in amp building I went into the room closest to their bedrooms one morning at around 9.00, opened the window and tested one of my amps to see how it performed at full volume. It performed really well, except that I forgot to tune the guitar properly. Oh well. What can you do?

Early , loud, and out of tune. Nice!

koifarm

Hooligan
Same here with neighbors playing that base baboom baboom all hours of the night, even around midnight one day...
I have a kick ass stereo system in my pole barn, 4 good speakers and fired it off in the wee hours of Sunday morning.....max volume shakes the roof on the barn and was maxed out, this only 60 feet or so from their house....
Seemed to be effective....they don't play it any more....left the stereo on from midnight to eleven oclock am....finally about ten or so, I spotted them wandering around their yard, getting in trucks and leaving...happens again I'll catch up a skunk and toss it into the guys truck....that works for me....hell, might even toss it in the house.....;-)

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I live way out in Bumfuck, an unincorporated county property. For an update, I took the excellent advice from a previous poster to "bark at the sheriff more than her dogs bark at you" and it has worked. Animal Control and the Sheriff have visited and I think she has finally seen the light. Thanks for all the feedback guys; I am enjoying the peace and quiet I had previously enjoyed for 30+ years. Here's one for the Sheriff! :pd2:

I followed your path slowgator. I think my neighbor is really pissed. My dog barked for 3 seconds today when I came home and she yelled over the fence " I'm calling the cops!"

I feel truly awful calling the police on a neighbor. I know they will hate me now. But I had 5 years of this friggin dog barking .Talked to the husband at least 5 times. It barks when I'm sitting in my yard, when I'm weeding my garden, when I'm working on my car, when I am eating dinner. Sometimes its out barking at 11 pm. The final straw was when my wife walked our dog the other day and their dog lunged and barked right at the property line at my peaceful dog. My dog jumped and broke my wife's finger. Had to take her to emergency for that. Then last night I came home as usual to a barking dog, and it kept it up intermittently for 4 hours. So I called animal control, which in my town is the police.

I feel terrible about it. And no - I would never harm a dog. I take the high road. I did nothing wrong.

slowgator

750cc
I feel terrible about it. And no - I would never harm a dog. I take the high road. I did nothing wrong.

Dude! You have absolutely nothing to feel terrible about; you stood up for your right to peace and quiet in your own home! What's bad about that? You tried talking to them to no avail, so you took the next option as I did.

Just an update, psycho-bitch and her ugly, snarling, barking dogs have moved out! We can enjoy the yard again with our mellow black lab without an ugly confrontation... there IS justice in the universe! An ex-Marine with a Great Dane and a motorcycle moved in... just right!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Thanks man. It felt very wrong, but hopefully it will be quiet around here. This is a small close knit town. They know everyone I know. It ain't over yet.

So glad your bad neighbor is gone and someone cool moved in. So then this word to the wise (I have a buddy who was in the marines 20 years ago) seems they don't like the term " ex-marine" .

Last edited:

slowgator

750cc
So then this word to the wise (I have a buddy who was in the marines 20 years ago) seems they don't like the term " ex-marine" .

Thanks for the heads-up; I'll be sure not to call him that since he's bigger than me! Actually, as a squid I ain't no stranger to messin' with jarheads!

Good luck in the neighborhood; these things seem to have a way of working out...

strokerlmt

Sal you have nothing to be sorry about. Your neighbor should be a "good neighbor" and if they refuse to be one don't let them intimidate you into no action just because you are a good guy. You did the right thing...call the man.....your taxes pay him a wonderful salary and better benefits than we get. Keep calling until it stops.....oh BTW your neighbor will think the same of you now or later...its in their blood ;-))))

LMT

whyme

TT Racer
Responsible people own responsible dogs....Im sure they are lazy shits that shouldn't have be owning a dog. Our neighbors...10 feet away, just got a pound dog...it barks but they are training it and I'm sure it will be a great dog when they are done. They are responsible citizens.
Don't feel bad....fuck them. The idea of personal responsibility is unfortunately slowly leaving our society.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Thank you guys, believe it or not reading this makes me feel better. I'm a Buddhist and christian ( not a contradiction) and it is way hard for me to do stuff like this but I was pretty miserable. All the guys on here who have dealt with barking dogs know - at first it doesn't bother you but after a while you really get stressed. This dog is huge and loud! I get home from working hard, fighting traffic etc and I need peace and quiet. My wife says I'm too sensitive but I would come home from work, hear that dog barking and then kick my own dog! Not good. That's when I knew I had to call. They yelled over the fence at me, but if/when we do talk I will be calm.

slowgator

750cc
That freaking barking dog next door was relentless... almost like Chinese water torture. Makes you wonder why anyone would want a critter like that and just let them bark and bark endlessly. The neighbor said she didn't appreciate the sheriff coming around so I told her it was very simple: keep her dogs inside and the sheriff would stop coming. She also said the barking was "music to her ears" and "dogs bark,get over it." That was the mindset I was trying to rationalize with and why the sheriff was the answer. Don't feel bad Sal; it's too bad some of us have to deal with inconsiderate neighbors but I think you are going about it the right way!

JimmyR

Street Tracker
With dogs it's the unpredictability of their bark. There is little rhythm to it. And it can be relentless. It is truly one of life's most annoying and stressful sounds. I suspect it is almost always caused by dogs being too big for their environment and not getting enough exercise. I have never been a "dog person" so just don't get how someone can put up with it. I was "attacked" by an over-friendly labrador as a 4-yr old so have always felt uncomfortable around dogs. Plus I don't like the smell!

No-one should have to endure constant dog barking. Where I live the house blocks are small and so many people have big dogs. Very few get the exercise they need. I think it's plain cruel.

Maybe the OP should hire a wolf pack to visit the dog woman. Call it getting back to her roots.