Barking Dogs

slowgator

750cc
Had a new neighbor move in several months ago with 3 large dogs. We can't go out of our door without them charging the fence. We have a mellow black lab that is intimidated by their presence. The worst part is the incessant barking, especially at night. I called the owner twice in the middle of the night when they were keeping us up and got her answering machine. She returned my call and left a message advising not to call her again as she considers my calls "harassment". On my second call I advised her it was my last courtesy call and the next one would be to animal control, which I did. They were at her door several hours later and she responded after they left by shooting her guns around the property.

That was several weeks ago but the barking persists. I called animal control again but have not seen them recently.

Any ideas of how to quiet the barking? She says "dogs bark and it is music to my ears". When I complained about her dogs dumping in my yard she said "don't worry they all have shots". When I told her she didn't understand and I did not want her dogs shitting in my yard she looked at me like I was from another planet.

I went on a barking dog forum and one of the suggestions was antifreeze. I don't want to kill her dogs; I just want them to shut up.

Any ideas? It does no good talking to her.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Make her drink the antifreeze. That is a seriously sucky situation, but don't kill her dogs. If you have seen Shooter you know what happens to people who kill someone's dog when said person has lots of guns... Good time to buy that secluded dream house? What a fucking bitch... sorry man, wish I could help.

Oil Burner

Scooter
F' with them till they move. Seriously.

But... When we moved into an apartment from a house, I knew that I'd have to quiet my pooch down. He's not a barker, but goes nuts when I get home from work. Knew that wouldn't fly long with the neighbors. I ended up with an indoor ultrasonic device that makes a sound that dogs hate when it senses barking. Worked like a charm for my dog. When I went to Petco or Petsmart (don't remember which it was), the girl said she used an outdoor one to stop her neighbors dogs from barking all the time. Not what I needed, but they're out there, and according to her, they work. Something like this (but shop around): http://www.petco.com/product/104027/PetSafe-Outdoor-Bark-Control.aspx

jphickory

Banned
Is there not a local ordinance that addresses habitual dog barking? Where I live there is such an ordinance. If the county finds a dog to be habitually barking there is a $50 fine for the first violation, $100 for the second and $200 for third and any future violations.

If there is no such ordinance and you have tried to reasonably discuss with neighbor to no avail - I'd start thinking creatively on how you can make her life hell until she changes her ignorant behavior.

slowgator

750cc
F' with them till they move. Seriously.

But... When we moved into an apartment from a house, I knew that I'd have to quiet my pooch down. He's not a barker, but goes nuts when I get home from work. Knew that wouldn't fly long with the neighbors. I ended up with an indoor ultrasonic device that makes a sound that dogs hate when it senses barking. Worked like a charm for my dog. When I went to Petco or Petsmart (don't remember which it was), the girl said she used an outdoor one to stop her neighbors dogs from barking all the time. Not what I needed, but they're out there, and according to her, they work. Something like this (but shop around): http://www.petco.com/product/104027/PetSafe-Outdoor-Bark-Control.aspx

Thanks for the tip; I will check out Petsmart. I have read reviews on these devices that said they were useless but it sounds like it worked for you so it's worth a shot.

AceT100

Rocker
Check the local ordnance, here in our city its qs mentioned above, they log the hours of barking for a week, and if it exceeds a certain amount (and its not a very high number) they start fining them.

The Ultrasonic anti bark things work to an extent, but the cheap ones don't...

slowgator

750cc
Is there not a local ordinance that addresses habitual dog barking? Where I live there is such an ordinance. If the county finds a dog to be habitually barking there is a $50 fine for the first violation, $100 for the second and $200 for third and any future violations.

If there is no such ordinance and you have tried to reasonably discuss with neighbor to no avail - I'd start thinking creatively on how you can make her life hell until she changes her ignorant behavior.

There IS a local ordinance that limits any noise to 60 decibels (I bought a meter to measure)... but my understanding is that it will take an attorney for me to bring an action against her with plenty of bureaucratic hoops to jump through. I will continue to call animal control but was hoping for a more practical effective solution.

As far as making her life hell, I have a problem dealing with people who deal with their own anger issues with guns. I ignore her and her dogs as much as possible, but the incessant barking is beyond my control, at least so far.

Appreciate the feedback.

T-boy

Rocker
Are there other neighbors that are bothered by the pooch's barking that you could band together with? There's strength in numbers. Maybe you could set up a stereo system outside and give her a blast of Black Sabbath when the dogs are barking at night. If she likes Sabbath, give her a dose of Justin Bieber.

koifarm

Hooligan
Go with one of the ultrasonic, I had a neighbor with a Rottie who would charge the fence (wood fence) absolutely every time either my wife or I walked out our back door, in addition there was a little yap yap dog that would accompany the Rottie as he barked.....
Got one of those ultrasonic bark alarms and placed it on the shop roof next to them and it worked....took a few days but they eventually stopped barking....the alarm is still up on the roof....if it weren't raining I'd go get it to get the brand name for you but most any of them are effective.....
You can get a model that will stop your wife from bitching....the Ronco Bitch o matic......well.....

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I'd try the ultra sonic deal first. If that does not work I'd see if you have a friend that's a lawyer that can send her a certified letter on his letterhead that you are notifying her that you will be taking legal action if she does not follow the law. Typically a note like this will get people pointed in the right direction as they don't want to deal with the hassle of court.

slowgator

750cc
I'd try the ultra sonic deal first. If that does not work I'd see if you have a friend that's a lawyer that can send her a certified letter on his letterhead that you are notifying her that you will be taking legal action if she does not follow the law. Typically a note like this will get people pointed in the right direction as they don't want to deal with the hassle of court.

I will try the ultrasonic although most reviews say they don't work...

Of course I realize it's the owner and not the dogs, as is always the case. This woman is obviously mentally unstable; talks to her dogs all day long like they are people. Unfortunately I got off to a bad start with her when I confronted her about her dogs interrupting our sleep; I'm afraid she is a "man-hater" as she is a hard-core bull dyke lesbian, dresses and looks like a man, drives a pick-up truck and does carpentry. Not that there's anything wrong with that; we would have no problem if it wasn't for her lack of control over her dogs. Since she lives alone with her dogs (and a noisy rooster that wakes us at sunrise), I think she likes having the dogs outside at night to ward off intruders. She has told us about suspicious people she has seen roaming the property at night...she is paranoid! We have never had a security issue in 33 years here!

And yes I have looked up the local laws and will continue to call animal control but am advised that although they can cite and fine her, I will ultimately have to hire an attorney and take her to court to force her to control her dogs. The police refer dog issues to animal control...the typical bureaucratic runaround.

Appreciate your feedback!

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Another thought at least while you're outside if the dogs are attacking the fence would be a water gun. Most dogs do not like it, but if it does you can get some stuff from Petsmart or another pet store that should help.

slowgator

750cc
Another thought at least while you're outside if the dogs are attacking the fence would be a water gun. Most dogs do not like it, but if it does you can get some stuff from Petsmart or another pet store that should help.

Thanks RR, good idea! Maybe load it up with a home-made dog repellant I found of water and cayenne pepper! :fight3:

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Thanks RR, good idea! Maybe load it up with a home-made dog repellant I found of water and cayenne pepper! :fight3:

Just be careful, because if it's just harmless water a pet owner can be over protective, and it sounds like she's itching for an excuse to kick your ass :D

slowgator

750cc
Just be careful, because if it's just harmless water a pet owner can be over protective, and it sounds like she's itching for an excuse to kick your ass :D

LOL!... and she could probably do it too! She's got a kick-bag hanging from her carport...although I've never seen her use it. She IS bigger and uglier than me though!:fight:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Dude you have my utmost sympathy. I have a similar problem. Its terrible. I have read that people videotape the barking dogs and put it on youtube. Then you just e-mail a link to the dog control officer and he watches 30 minutes of crazy barking dogs. Include a note saying you are making a complaint.

Its a sign of the times man , 30 years ago if your neighbor called -you apologized and brought your dog in the house. Today people are selfish and so self justifying. When I very nicely asked my neighbor to please keep her dog quiet she threatened to file some type of false report against me in retaliation. Eventually other neighbors got after her and she quieted her dog down a bit.

You could put up a more sunstantial fence so her dogs can't see you. Also, talking to the dog in soft reassuring tones and telling them they are good dogs can help. For that matter, give the dogs a hamburger through the fence. A good one, not a bad one... to make friends. Animals can be conditioned. If you give them hamburger they may love you and wag their tails.

slowgator

750cc
Dude you have my utmost sympathy. I have a similar problem. Its terrible. I have read that people videotape the barking dogs and put it on youtube. Then you just e-mail a link to the dog control officer and he watches 30 minutes of crazy barking dogs. Include a note saying you are making a complaint.

Its a sign of the times man , 30 years ago if your neighbor called -you apologized and brought your dog in the house. Today people are selfish and so self justifying. When I very nicely asked my neighbor to please keep her dog quiet she threatened to file some type of false report against me in retaliation. Eventually other neighbors got after her and she quieted her dog down a bit.

You could put up a more sunstantial fence so her dogs can't see you. Also, talking to the dog in soft reassuring tones and telling them they are good dogs can help. For that matter, give the dogs a hamburger through the fence. A good one, not a bad one... to make friends. Animals can be conditioned. If you give them hamburger they may love you and wag their tails.

Thanks Sal, good idea about the vid.

Actually, she is putting up a privacy fence (put it right in front of my satellite dish) so that should help with them charging the fence whenever we go out or park our cars in the carport. And we won't have to look at her ugly ass or all the junk she's accumulating in her yard. But it doesn't help with the barking at night which disturbs me the most. I can ignore a lot of things, but a dog barking incessantly can be maddening.

Since I was not raised with dogs, I have never been a big fan but this is making things much worse. Surely there must be a lesson. One thing that strikes me with dog owners: they all seem to think their right to own a dog trumps the rights of those that wish to live in a dog-free environment. If she would only control them as any responsible dog owner would, there would be no problem.

Thanks again for your feedback.

AceT100

Rocker
My right to own a dog does not trump anyones rights to live dog free. I am a responsible dog owner. My dogs are trained to alert us to intruders and bark on command and also STOP.

The person next door to us has an unruly dog that barks constantly. We called the local PD and animal control. They sorted it out fast.