Anyone ever want to just leave?

rodburner

Rocker
Arctic,everybody here will give you words of advice.Mine is not advice as much as the cold slap of reality.Do what you feel you need to,even if for just a short time. I never felt like I needed to get away from the world,so the world got torn away from me. Now I'm left standing here with nowhere to go and all day to get there. It sucks.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Articsea, as some of the guys would know, I was diagnosed with an aggressive, high grade cancer of the prostate in March last year. Untreated, the Doc gave me 4, maybe 5 years. I had 6 months of hormone injections followed by 8 weeks of daily radiation therapy.
Every time I lay on that table being nuked, I said to myself, "when this is over, I'm gonna go on a trip somewhere!" Won't know for another 6 months or so if the treatment worked or not until after they take a series of blood tests and compare the results.
The bottom line....I was determined that I was not gonna let it play on my mind and get me down.
Solution? My wife and I fly out of Sydney next Sunday heading to Canada & USA for a 5 week journey of adventure (well it is for us anyway).
But, it's not about where one goes on one's trip. Across the world or across the county/state. It's the planning and the journey, not so much the destination.
Keep your chin up mate and don't let the "turkeys" get you down.
Cheers,
"wobbly" Rod

Kirkus51

Hooligan
After reading Wobbly's post I have to tell a story about my own family. My Uncle got prostate cancer in the early 90s or so. He did the conventional treatment at the time, surgery, chemo & radiation. After that he took some shot or pill once a month that was expensive.

With all that he & his wife had a sort of wake up call and began to do all the things they had ever talked about doing. They took trips etc., visited their Kids & Grandkids. In short they lived life to the fullest.

Now my Uncle passed away six years after his treatment and his wife died a year later, but at least they were able to go places, do things, they would have not done had they not gotten that wake up call. That's way better than sitting around watching your world shrink which is what my folks did and I felt for them.

So the whippersnappers out there, go on an adventure once in a while. For us Old Farts, keep defying gravity as long as you can.:rockon:

rmiles

Scooter
Just leave

Funny how this topic just pop-up!Here I`m looking at fifty,on furlough from a job I`ve been doing for almost thrity years.Yep I,m ready to pack up and spilt,but family makes it all better!

geolpilot

Street Tracker
We spent most of our lives doing just that. After I earned a Ph.D. in geology, I tried teaching for a year, but most of the students didn't really want to learn and I was bored to death. My new girlfriend and I had just sailed my old 46 ft. engineless sailboat from St. Petersburg Florida to N.J. and back the previous summer. Sailed through the eye of a near hurricane force tropical storm 200 miles offshore. That was a peak experience. If you want to read about that adventure, you can download it here.

http://texascoastgeology.com/viking.pdf

Well, we said screw it and that December, 1976 we sailed from Florida back to a little town on the Texas coast. We arrived with no car, less than $500 and no jobs. I started working for a friend in a boat shop, doing things like painting boat bottoms, fixing outboards and doing wood and fiberglass work. That with a Ph.D. Don't ever complain to me that you can't find a suitable job. Any job is a suitable job. Well, I started delivering shrimp boats as a navigator (celestial) and got enough time documented to get a 100 ton Captain's license. Then I intermittently did geology consulting, delivered big fishing boats on up to 5000 mile trips and ran offshore oilfield boats. Part of our adventure involved living on our boats in Honduras about 1/2 time for about 17 years. Bought investment real estate, never paid interest for anything and invested at least 1/2 of every cent we made. We had loads of adventure for about 20 years and LIVED. So, if you are young, get with it. The only thing that you have on this earth is your time. Spend your time well. If you want to travel, do a lot of it while you are young enough and strong enough to do it well. I have seen loads of old people retire and buy that cruising boat to travel the world. Few do, they are really to old to take it. So, find someone compatible, or not and do what your heart wants. Above all, don't take on debt, because it is worse than a prison. Your lender owns your ass. We drove junkers for years, lived on funky boats with no running water and the old sailboat without even electricity. We owned rental houses, but they were for the future, not for us to live in then. We lived and lived well and have the photos and memories to prove it. SO, DON'T PUT YOUR LIFE OFF UNTIL YOUR OLD, LIVE IT NOW!

strokerlmt

Geo......I did alot of sailing in The Caribbean, Northern SA and Central A. I spent some time In Roatan and Binaca. Mostly late 70's and 80's....PM me at [email protected] if you feel like it....name of your boat....we may have crossed paths.
LMT

speedtrip

Scooter
I done a lot of traveling when I was late teens early twentys , no rules went where I wanted, done what pleased me and my mother asked me to come back to Florida which I did , settled down bought a house and I have been in the same place for 20 years now and she asked me one day not long a go if I could go back and change my youth would I and my reply to her was I would change not a moment of it , It made me a better person , I like who I am and what I have become and I have a new respect for life .
Not to deep was it ?
Would I do it over again?
In a fucking heartbeat and the time is coming very soon.
There are still a lot of people I have not pissed of yet and its time that I pay them a visit

Skeeter

Rocker
good thread!!!!!

im about to turn 26 and i still wet behind the ears and a novice in this world but ive learned a few things from elders and from doin things wrong. as we speak im workin on leavin all i know and movin to arizonia to try and start a life out there, if it doesnt work then ill worry about what to do next. but im too young to hate the cold and i cant afford a place here in the northern philly area. i lvoe takin trips and seein new stuff and doin it on a motorcycle and with your best friend is the best. i once took a 3 week trip in a 23ft motorhome with my parents, best 3 weeks of my life...

DandyDoug

750cc
Geo has given some of the absolute best advice anyone ever could. He has the chops to do it.

When I lived in FL. I would see these older folks buy some big assed cruising boat ,sail or power, spend the next two years fitting them out with every gadget known and do an occasional weekend trip. Then one of them would either die, get sick, or the other half would fess up and say it's not for me, you go do it. That's why there are so many big boats for sale in FL.

I knew a young couple who after graduating from college and starting work careers, decided they wanted more out of life. Their families went nuts over the whole deal, but they bought a motor home and took off for a few years. Finding what ever work was available , seeing the country and enjoying life. They came back, settled down to a mortgage and family.
There is always time for that later in life.

bonnaz

Scooter
Excellent thread...
I did the get up and go back in 88.
packed everything in my beat up Subaru, (shipped my 750 Seca down), said good-bye to the mountains of Utah and moved to the desert of Arizona.
Had to get away from the environment (bad influences, too much partying, etc..)
so one day just left.
best thing I ever did.
sure it was hard, a lot of second guessing my move, moving to someplace I knew no one, no job, totally out of my norm for me.

I really think the hardest part is being away from those damn mountains.
but, I get to go have my "fix" every summer.

anyway, some times you just have to do it.
and sometimes it even works out.
but if you never do it, you'll never know, will you?

aleonet100

Two Stroke
A few quotes from John Updike’s Rabbit Run if I may:

“The problem knits in front of him and he is sickened by its intricacy.”

“If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price.”

Speaking as a married father of 4 with a high-pressure career, these are thoughts I chew on every day.

When I first started working full-time, 19 years old, there was an executive assistant to the CEO who had worked at the company for about 30 years. The company threw her a lavish retirement party. She had saved up and was finally going to take her dream vacation to Australia. She died of a heart attack a week later before she ever packed her bags. And now at 44 I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t think of that woman and try to shape my life, working within the responsibilities that I have, to not end up like her.

And with all this advice flying around, one last quote:

“Everybody who tells you how to act has whisky on their breath.”

That’s enough sharing. Over to Babes on Bike.

dschief

750cc
That story strikes a chord for me.
My Mom always wanted to go to Hawaii, she planned on doing just that when she retired. In 1987, one year before retirement, she was diagnosed with colon cancer. She lost her fight with cancer the following year. She never made her trip to the Islands, and I think about that every day.
Tomorrow may not be there for us. If you want something, just do it!