header wrap....smokinnnnnn

strokerlmt

Hey......need some imput......I purchased some stainless steel headers never used no blue. I wrapped them in 2 inch header wrap and put two coats of the inclosed heat paint. Let dry for 16 hours and took for a shot run today.
......Amazing how cool teh wrap is
......The wrap was SMOKIN when I got home ....HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN ?????
Thx
LMT

More pics of rainy day in "projects"

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

Thx Sweatm.........appreciate the input re smokin.......guess you don't like wrap..........
I must say I am impressed.....after a hard run.....I could put my hand on the header.......
LMT

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I am a fan of the wrap. Can you post a picture of the whole bike? Where did you find the new headers?

I noticed those headers have no crossover. What headers are they? From a Bonnie/Thrux? What mufflers are you running? You'll lose some power without the crossover with stock headers.

Dave

Street Tracker
How does the crossover pipe benefit the 360 degree motors? If both cylinders fire at once, what good does the crossover do? I'm only asking because I have a 270, so there I could see a difference, but with the 360? Does anyone have a dyno to prove this theory?

strokerlmt

Sweatmachine......I was running stock headers ceramic coated with crossover and DOMINATORS.
I purchased a pair of stainless headers no cross over.......and a pair of sport PREDATORS used. I wrapped the headers and have the preds on now.
I ran today......lots of power in all ranges.
LMT

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
...360 degree motors? If both cylinders fire at once, what good does the crossover do?

They don't both fire at once. They fire 360 degrees apart. The pistons rise and fall in unison, but one goes bang while the other goes suck. And after the bang, that one goes blow while the other goes squeeze.

The crossover gives more room for the exhaust on each side to escape, reducing backpressure, which should result in a cleaner combustion chamber to be filled with fresh air.

I would expect the wrap to have zero impact on performance.

strokerlmt

Bluej.......nice explanation.....
The used stainless headers have NO cross over and there seems to be no difference in power all ranges.
I have also heard that that with the Predators or Dominators that there is so much flow through you eliminate what the crossover is designed to do ???LMT

Dave

Street Tracker
They don't both fire at once. They fire 360 degrees apart. The pistons rise and fall in unison, but one goes bang while the other goes suck. And after the bang, that one goes blow while the other goes squeeze.

The crossover gives more room for the exhaust on each side to escape, reducing backpressure, which should result in a cleaner combustion chamber to be filled with fresh air.

I would expect the wrap to have zero impact on performance.

Right on, thanks! I guess I thought since they rise and fall in unison they fired that way too.

Now that I've learnded sumthin today, I can go back to sleep:huh:

strokerlmt

So went for a good long ride today. Warmed everything up. The wrap stopped smokinnnnn. The headers with NO cross over into the predators had zero effect on performance. Lots of power thru all power bands. Got on the HWY for a few miles and wound up to red and just over 100mph and I was really pleased. I have to say the difference between the stock front caliper and the beringer 6 pot is like night day black white 1968 VW 911 Porche. Found I was really using the front brake way more. Also notice the stock rear brake pads seem rough now......ha

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
...with the Predators or Dominators that there is so much flow through you eliminate what the crossover is designed to do??

That makes a lot of sense. The individual mufflers are open enough that you can get a good blow out through one header pipe. Nice observation!

And, I don't remember who it was on this forum (or maybe it was RN), but I'd never heard the description of the 4-stroke cycle before, and I really like it. :) For those gearhead newbies, here it is:

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow. Repeat.

Cheers!

strokerlmt

dr....it stopped smokin.....Tuning is "black magic" to me sometimes....

stock ceramic headers with cross over + ceramic dominators = lots of power all ranges but a slight "popping" during down shifts..........
stainless headers no cross over with wrap + predators = what seems to be more power mid to high range and NO "popping" during down shifts......

So why is the popping gone? why the slight increase in power? is it the very HOT exhaust running thru the wrapped headers faster ? does this exhaust system allow for less pressure = no 'popping"

Black magic......LMT

drlapo

Hooligan
dr....it stopped smokin.....Tuning is "black magic" to me sometimes....

stock ceramic headers with cross over + ceramic dominators = lots of power all ranges but a slight "popping" during down shifts..........
stainless headers no cross over with wrap + predators = what seems to be more power mid to high range and NO "popping" during down shifts......

So why is the popping gone? why the slight increase in power? is it the very HOT exhaust running thru the wrapped headers faster ? does this exhaust system allow for less pressure = no 'popping"

Black magic......LMT

OW, you're making my head hurt

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
You're changing more than one variable and trying to attribute all the difference to just one. You've changed the header geometry (with and without the crossover), the flow out of the exhaust (dominators vs. preds), and *maybe* the temperature of the exhaust (the wrap).

Remeber, all the wrap is really doing is insulating the manifold pipe. Under that wrap the pipe is still hot as fuck. Unlikely that there's much of an actual exhaust temp difference with and without.

But:

"Popping" is generally an indication of a lean condition, which you can get by jamming more air thru the system without changing the amount of fuel. Note that you get the popping with the crossover+dominators. Makes sense to me - if the mufflers were the same, you'd get more flow out with the crossover than without for reasons I already mentioned. So your result tells me that the dominators are certainly no more restrictive than the predators, and it tells me that you're running just ever so slightly lean (rejetted lately?)....