Home Protection...what do you use?

AceT100

Rocker
I have 2 dogs, security lighting & big locks...what do you guys use?

I'm thinking a Mossberg 500 J.I.C CRUISER

Last edited:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The Judge. Plus my two dogs put up a racket.... they might nip a thief's ankles ... a bit.

Attachments

• judge gun.JPG
    judge gun.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Dog on guard.jpg
    Dog on guard.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
I install ADT security systems for a living. I don't have one in my current rental place, but my new house is getting hooked up when I move in. Full 9 yards, monitored smoke detectors, glass break sensors, motion detectors in every room, etc. Why? Because I can. The monitored smoke detectors will save me (and lots of other people) 15% off my homeowner's insurance.

Besides that, 2 crazy dogs, some firearms, and a good insurance policy will round out the package.

By the way, unless your dogs are trained attack dogs, they're pretty much worthless for home protection. They might let you know someone is at the door, but they won't stop someone from stealing your shit.

Guns are great, but only work if you're there, awake, and pointing it at the bad dude.

And security lighting, while a good idea, won't do a whole lot either. Most break-ins happen during the day while you're at work, not at night. Most times the thief will be in your house less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Well, let's see, four infra red sensors bracketing my property (1 1/2 acres) with two receivers one in the front room and one in the bedroom, the receivers have a distinct tone for each outdoor sensor, 3 spotlights with movement sensors mounted at various places covering the front, back and separate shop area, one really great dawg who will alert at the slightest disturbance outside with a low throaty growl, she sleeps next to the bed at night.
A Taurus Millenium Pro .45 on the bedside stand, a 20 ga. shotgun loaded with 00 buck behind the door to the BR, a 12 ga with the same loads hanging over the front living room french doors (horizontal and just above the top of the door frame) A 9mm Star next to my favorite chair in front of the TV, another sawed off 20 ga. behind the office door located adjacent to the back door to the porch, a .410 loaded with slugs in a small alcove to the right of the outside back door, another 12 ga. over the workshop door with a .22 semi auto leaning up against the door frame as well.
When out and about the Taurus goes in a CC IWB Crossbreed holster at the 4 o'clock position, also wear that whenever I step outside in the yard or work in the pole barn or the shop.
In the truck, behind the seats in the extended cab on a gun rack a .22 Browning semi auto as well as .45 and .22 ammo in the door pocket. In the back, inside a toolbox beside the tailgate (topper over it) another 9mm Hi Point cheapie.
I think that about covers it. About the only times I've ever had to think about using one was on the interstate, flat tire, pulled over to change it and two guys in a car pulled in behind me and were politely asked to stay in their vehicle and that I didn't need any help. they left.
Prolly a good idea to call before you come to visit.

slowgator

750cc
Well, let's see, four infra red sensors bracketing my property (1 1/2 acres) with two receivers one in the front room and one in the bedroom, the receivers have a distinct tone for each outdoor sensor, 3 spotlights with movement sensors mounted at various places covering the front, back and separate shop area, one really great dawg who will alert at the slightest disturbance outside with a low throaty growl, she sleeps next to the bed at night.
A Taurus Millenium Pro .45 on the bedside stand, a 20 ga. shotgun loaded with 00 buck behind the door to the BR, a 12 ga with the same loads hanging over the front living room french doors (horizontal and just above the top of the door frame) A 9mm Star next to my favorite chair in front of the TV, another sawed off 20 ga. behind the office door located adjacent to the back door to the porch, a .410 loaded with slugs in a small alcove to the right of the outside back door, another 12 ga. over the workshop door with a .22 semi auto leaning up against the door frame as well.
When out and about the Taurus goes in a CC IWB Crossbreed holster at the 4 o'clock position, also wear that whenever I step outside in the yard or work in the pole barn or the shop.
In the truck, behind the seats in the extended cab on a gun rack a .22 Browning semi auto as well as .45 and .22 ammo in the door pocket. In the back, inside a toolbox beside the tailgate (topper over it) another 9mm Hi Point cheapie.
I think that about covers it. About the only times I've ever had to think about using one was on the interstate, flat tire, pulled over to change it and two guys in a car pulled in behind me and were politely asked to stay in their vehicle and that I didn't need any help. they left.
Prolly a good idea to call before you come to visit.
DANG dude, didn't know you lived in the ghetto!

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
By the way, unless your dogs are trained attack dogs, they're pretty much worthless for home protection. They might let you know someone is at the door, but they won't stop someone from stealing your shit.

That depends on the breed. I guarantee you our German Shepard will ruin your day if you step inside our house unannounced. He's no attack dog, just extremely protective and territorial by nature. BTW, your whole post sounds like a commercial for ADT.

jphickory

Banned
Koi - one thing that concerns me about leaving easily accessible firearms in the house, especially loaded ones, is that they could be used against you by a previously unarmed intruder that has entered your home during your absence. I'm sure you have thought of this, what are your thoughts? Do you lock 'em all up every time you leave?

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Two boxers and 8 security forces personnel on duty 24/7 which they house an M9 on each hip and two M16's in each gate entry. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIRLY safe for the most part...

That depends on the breed. I guarantee you our German Shepard will ruin your day if you step inside our house unannounced. He's no attack dog, just extremely protective and territorial by nature. BTW, your whole post sounds like a commercial for ADT.

I'm not saying that a security system is the only or even best option. There is no perfect solution, and many of the common measures people take aren't very effective.

Example: I have 2 dogs that bark at any noise. I have a nosy neighbor that is always looking out her window, and while I was home, sober, awake, etc my brother's car was broken into in my driveway. The dogs didn't bark, my neighbor didn't see/hear anything, and neither did I. No one knew his window had been broken out until hours after it had happened.

I'm pretty sure my dog cracked open a beer for the guy that robbed me last year. Middle of the day in a decent neighborhood, and one of the neighbors told me a few days later that she "saw a guy on the porch looking in your window but I didn't want to say anything". She probably shouldn't have said anything to me either.

When I hear house alarms in the neighborhood I make a point to go check it out. Neighbors watching out for the whole 'hood is what I think is the most effective thing. I do keep a Browning Hi-Power and a .20 ga with buckshot for the unlikely event that Mr. Bad Guy enters the house while I'm there.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
I'm pretty sure my dog cracked open a beer for the guy that robbed me last year. Middle of the day in a decent neighborhood, and one of the neighbors told me a few days later that she "saw a guy on the porch looking in your window but I didn't want to say anything". She probably shouldn't have said anything to me either.

When I hear house alarms in the neighborhood I make a point to go check it out. Neighbors watching out for the whole 'hood is what I think is the most effective thing. I do keep a Browning Hi-Power and a .20 ga with buckshot for the unlikely event that Mr. Bad Guy enters the house while I'm there.

Dang man... what kind of dog do you own? Cracking open a beer is a pretty cool trick, but if it comes to intruders in my house I'd rather hear bones crack.

I agree about the neighborhood watch idea. When we bought our current house nearly twenty years ago, one reason we liked the area was because a lot of the neighbors were older, retired folk. They really kept an eye out and were keen to notice any suspicious activity. There's a still a few of them left, but for the most part now it's a few of the new neighbors we gotta watch.

koifarm

Hooligan
DANG dude, didn't know you lived in the ghetto!

Not the 'ghetto so much but out in the country, on a dead end road and at the end of the road a four wheeler trail into the swamp so we get lots of big ugly mudders coming and going on the main road in front of the house, often turning around in the drive.
Plus the usual gawkers and lost souls trying to find some other road. I just got tired of people driving up to the house asking directions, selling fish and steaks out of a pickup truck, looking for lost dogs and such like.
Couple weeks back we had some kids in a pickup driving down the road shooting mailboxes and anything that moves, ended up being arrested for that.
We've had renters next door that shot cats, dogs and horses before they were politely asked to relocate, at the point of a sawed off shotgun.
Been rather quiet lately though, prolly too damn hot for the boys. More happens around hunting seasons in the fall and spring.
Always exciting in the country.....lol

koifarm

Hooligan
Koi - one thing that concerns me about leaving easily accessible firearms in the house, especially loaded ones, is that they could be used against you by a previously unarmed intruder that has entered your home during your absence. I'm sure you have thought of this, what are your thoughts? Do you lock 'em all up every time you leave?

For sure, both doors to the house are steel reinforced and deadbolted. If I'm away from the place for a tiime, there's a walk in gun safe hidden behind a large closet and they all go in there. Nice heavy steel door on that as well. In addition to that, there's a nice big gate on the property usually chained down when I leave and a full fence around the place. The way the acre is oriented, there is a long drive and visibility is clear all the way past the house and barn and both sides are exposed for viewing. The silent alarm system will broadcast a tone within 100 yards away as I approach if the system has been set off..
I know it works because a pissed off ex wife tried to break in a few years back, she was inside the place having smashed a window when the Sheriff boys showed up with me, her car was sitting in the drive, trunk open and half loaded when they arrested her. She doesn't come around much any more....

hankmarx

750cc
3 blue heelers for early warning, a baseball bat for having a look, the .45 if I am really suspicious, and the 12 gauge for the back up. The wife does not like the .45, so the shot gun is for when I am out of town.
I had an sks for when SHTF but i traded it and a lot of ammo for a paint job on my Norton's gas tank and side covers.

loxpump

Rocker
I'm hoping this works.
Photo0734_001.jpg

Photo0735.jpg