Eeek Guns!

DandyDoug

750cc
Air rifles ??

I have a problem with some yard pests, and am considering some type of an air rifle.
I have never owned one before so who has, what kind do you recommend, and lets keep the cost reasonable please, less than $100.00 if possible.

Suggestions ??

Thanks, Doug

koifarm

Hooligan
I have a problem with some yard pests, and am considering some type of an air rifle.
I have never owned one before so who has, what kind do you recommend, and lets keep the cost reasonable please, less than $100.00 if possible.

Suggestions ??

Thanks, Doug

Wally world has some decent "cock" pellet guns .177 cal, you don't have to buy CO2 for them and pellets are inexpensive. Good for short range, squirrels, rats, mice, neighbors, they are very quiet and quite accurate.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ruger-Blackhawk-Combo-4x32-Combo-.177-Pellet/15137012

Gretsch

Rocker

Suggestions ??

Thanks, Doug

Deer or rabbits? For rabbits a pump or CO2 air rifle is fine. For deer I'd recommend land mines or claymores.

Shorty

Two Stroke
I have an old Sheridan in .20 Cal with a rifled brass barrell that's bad-ass. I think they can still be bought for around $100 - $125. Also check out Benjamin's which I believe are identical (I think both companies merged a while back). One pump is sufficient in most cases. At the max 7 pumps the muzzle velocity is over 600 feet per sec.

PS: I just did some research, those damn things are now at $175 for the plain jane version at Cabellas. I know I've seen them for less at gun shows though.

Last edited:

DandyDoug

750cc
I understand how a co2 powered rifle would work, but since I won't be using it all that often I think a pump type might be better for my purposes.
How does that pump type hold air and how do you pump it up ?
Is it possible to have a pump type that is multiple shot ?

I'm not sure my aim is up to what it used to be at my age so a single shot is not what I want. :worthy:
Back in the day I could knock the nickers off a knat at 4400 meters with an M60 Tank:)

henrys

Street Tracker
New firearm. Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded model with alloy frame and night sights. It shoots real nice and for a 1911 it was very affordable.

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Shorty

Two Stroke
Dandy...they use an air reservoir usually in the stock. On some like the Sheridan and Crossman one pumps the forearm on the stock which is attached to a piston of the reservoir. On others (especially European Mfg) the barrell pivots on the stock like a lever to pump up a reservoir. Those are usually single pumps with pretty high velocity. Sheridan and Crossman in most cases are multi pump (more pumps = higher pressure = higher muzzle velocity). A single shot releases all the pressure at once therefore follow up shots require more pumping.

Bob80220

Scooter
New firearm. Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded model with alloy frame and night sights. It shoots real nice and for a 1911 it was very affordable.

Nice Springer henrys...I really like Springfields especially 1911's...I have been at the range these past 2 weeks breaking in my loaded micro 45 and the EMP 9 mm. A few feeding issues in the beginning but they are working themselves in quite nicely...back to the range this afternoon...be safe.

Bob

Bob80220

Scooter
was your new Springfield built in Brazil?

This is a big topic of discussion drlapo...My micro 45 says made in Brazil but my EMP 9 mm does not. My understanding is that the parts are manufactured there but the assembly takes place in the USA regardless...from all I have read, it doesn't seem to make a beans worth of difference. My micro 45 stamped made in Brazil looks and functions just as sweet as my EMP 9 mm that does not...

Bob

Bob80220

Scooter
Yes henrys...that is how I understand it as well. As I said, mine function well regardless if it says made in Brazil or US...Springfield make really sweet 1911's.

Bob

drlapo

Hooligan
I can't find Springfield Brazil on the map
I can find Hartford CT
this is not a comment on quality, just an observation
my son's Springfield XDM is made in Croatia

henrys

Street Tracker
Yep, there's a reason its under $1000. I'd love to have a wilson or kimber but I ain't that rich yet.

Supposedly springfield's upper end TRP line is all US made. They are quite a bit more though. I for one would rather have a whole US made gun and I tend to buy US made when possible... but you can't have everything you want all the time. :)

Bob80220

Scooter
I can't find Springfield Brazil on the map
I can find Hartford CT
this is not a comment on quality, just an observation
my son's Springfield XDM is made in Croatia

Springfield Armory is in Geneseo, Illinois....My loaded micro 1911 45 acp was made in Brazil by Imbel...They fabricate the frames and the handgun is assembled in Geneseo...US manufacturers of handguns have parts made in Brazil, Croatia and other countries, but assemble in the US. Certainly doesn't mean the quality is effected regardless of where some parts are made...

Bob

ssjones

750cc
A good pump air gun was a lot of fun when I was teen. You can even shoot them in your basement with the proper backdrop and pellet trap. 10-15 pumps usually yielded a satisfactory shot with a Crossman (back in the 70's, haven't fired a modern pump gun). We used .17 caliber pellets, but they would also fire standar BB's. Of course we felt compelled to go for 25-30 pumps for maximum velocity. Sheridan used to make a very high quality (and expensive) air rifle with quality peep-sights, etc.
I understand how a co2 powered rifle would work, but since I won't be using it all that often I think a pump type might be better for my purposes.
How does that pump type hold air and how do you pump it up ?
Is it possible to have a pump type that is multiple shot ?

I'm not sure my aim is up to what it used to be at my age so a single shot is not what I want. :worthy:
Back in the day I could knock the nickers off a knat at 4400 meters with an M60 Tank:)

dscott3509

Two Stroke
Took my basic gun safety class yesterday. Was impressed with the course, both classroom and range work went quickly, but covered a lot of ground. Not too much ground, but enough to make it interesting and not boring, yet not overloading you with information.

I shot a Glock 17, and at first, my shots were terrible. I was anticipating the recoil, and was not smooth at all on the trigger. We did exercises of 1 shot, 2 shots, 3, 4, and then 5 consecutive shots before going back to the retracted ready position. We were about 5 yards out on the 5 shots, and my hits were all within about a dinner plate size, but many were still outside the targets we were using. By the time we finished this exercise, I was fatigued, anxious, and just everything was off. I needed a break, which we took, thankfully.

Came back and moved to a silhouette target, and things improved. I was shooting just about an inch low and to the left using the Glock. I had a tough time with the sights for the entire course. I never found that nice balance to get those sights to work properly. We started shooting 3 consecutive shots each turn, and from 3, 5, 7, and 10 yards. Most of my shots were in the A zone on the target. A few that I pulled low, but they were all in a vertical line, not pulling left or right.

Next we did the same 3 shots, at those distances, but with a timer. After the first 3 yard attempt where I only got off 2 shots, I relaxed a ton. My shots were better, but consistently low and left by about an inch. (A friend told me that's a Glock issue, due to pull weight. I prefer to blame me, because I'm new and had zero experience shooting before yesterday. My biggest complaint was trying to get my focus on the sight quickly.)

For the test, we did the same as the drill, and we did 4 attempts at it. Runs 1 and 2, I got all shots in the A zone, which means I passed the class and can take the next course, if I decide to move on. The other two tests I put two bullets in the C zone one next to the line, just to the left a bit, and one down low, I jerked that shot and knew it when I did it.

Now I need to decide what I want to do with this new knowledge. Continue by getting a gun and practicing, or just call it good and know that I can walk up to any gun and not make it go off on accident? If I continue to shoot, do I want to do it more recreationally, or do I continue and look at more courses to refine skills and stay safe?

A great class overall, and very happy I took it. Thanks to all for the words of encouragement and gun recommendations.