Does Anyone Carry When Riding?

tezza

Street Tracker
hey bo6tang, lets change the subject and talk about something interesting like guitars. i have a takamine accoustic, a fender squire (early jap model), a fender presision bass, a dobro steel and a mandolin ,my wife reckons i just collect instruments i cant play but hell i have trying keep on rockin. Tezza

sportyone

Street Tracker
hey bo6tang, lets change the subject and talk about something interesting like guitars. i have a takamine accoustic, a fender squire (early jap model), a fender presision bass, a dobro steel and a mandolin ,my wife reckons i just collect instruments i cant play but hell i have trying keep on rockin. Tezza

yeah, you gun happy dudes guys should come live in the land of oz, no need for damn guns here, we're all friendly and you can ride from state to state without border checks or worries ? in fact the only attention you'll get is from the tanned up ladies and people wanting to chat and comment on your great machine !

ride on us aussies, yeah ! :)

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I can handle that Tezza; here is my arsenal...ranked in order of how like them/play them.

#1. 1985 Gibson Les Paul Custom with PAF pick ups...simply an amazing guitar. Like stated in Spinal Tap, you can hear the sustain when it isn't even getting played!

#2 2002 Gibson SG Standard
#3 2000 Fender American Strat
#4 1997 G&L ASAT...I wish I would of bought this guitar before the strat because G&L's are made how Fenders should be made. I find it ironic how many people that love Fenders do not know the G&L story.
#5 Epihone Les Paul Custom...gutted the pick ups out and put some seymour duncans in them. The dimebag darrell signature pick up in the bridge and the seymour duncan jazz pick up in the neck. From raunchy to buttery smooth in one nano second!!
#6 Ibanez RG270...yes, in case you were wondering, to play the hair band metal tunes that I still like!
#7 Austin strat copy...my $75 Chinese strat that got me started and yes...I still love this guitar.

Acoustic:

#1 Simon and Patrick...handmade Canadian guitar that has a strong and bright/crisp sound...awesome bang for the buck.
#2 Ramirez classical nylon string...too scared to mention what I paid for this guitar. I took four years of classical guitar and bought this guitar through my instructor to play at recitals.
#3 Baby Taylor...great little guitar that fits in the overhead on a jet. Save my sanity on many deployments.
#4 Dumpster classical guitar...found it in the dumpster and brought it back to life with a little TLC. This one sits next to my desk at work now and provides a great sanity break for 10-15 minutes at a clip.
#5 Ovation turtle back...waiting for the right opportunity to smash this one in a million pieces. Perhaps at a big BBQ with friends when I get back to the states and we play out. I can do an acoustic number, maybe Pinball Wizard and then smash the shit out of it Townsend style.

I would still love to get the classic of all acoustic guitars...a Martin D-28. Not flashy but an unbelieveable tone with a comfort that allows you to play hours upon hours until you die of dehydration...what a fabulous guitar the D-28 is!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
yeah i know it in your constatution, the right to bear arms or was that arm bears, i always get that mixed up.

yeah, you gun happy dudes guys should come live in the land of oz, no need for damn guns here, we're all friendly and you can ride from state to state without border checks or worries ? in fact the only attention you'll get is from the tanned up ladies and people wanting to chat and comment on your great machine !

For what its worth and to let you know; I am going to do this not because people bother me this much but because of the wildlife situation that exists in America, especially in the Pacific Northwest. I went on a camping trip several years back in the PNW and was awaken by a cougar mommie that lost sight of her cubs. Pretty scary fucking moment and my only saving grace was the guy camping a few hundred feet away that heard me yelling and hollaring at the cougar. He came over and fired a round off about three feet over her head and put the bullet in the hillside. The kitty kat found her cubs and scampered off with everyone unharmed. So with that said, I will never be in that situation again especially when my boy is with me.

I realize I could go the locked box route but we will still be on a motorcycle. Last thing I need is this getting lifted while my son and I are having a cheeseburger and a coke at some cafe. I'm still reporting a stolen firearm that is registered in my name regardless if it is in a locked box or not. I will have close to 24 years of military service when I come back home and retire which means I have had three investigations done on me for my security clearances, I will still have a valid security clearance, I am finger printed and DNA sampled for the federal goverment because of what I do, and I have been well trained and qualified on two different types of firearms while in the military. I consider myself very responsible and securing this firearm will be best done by keeping it on my person. This is why I asked the question and will go through the legal channels that I need to go through even though the level of government red tape to do this is ridiculous but oh well...I can't change that and I have made my choice so I will fillout and process paperwork upon paperwork so this is done right.

I actually like people; one of the things I really like about having a Trumpet is that people approach me a lot to talk about my bike. I have shared many beers and coffees with people that started off with a hand shake and a smile because of the type of motorcycle I ride and I hope that this will also happen when my son and I travel across a country that I spent the last 24 years of my life serving to. I am by no means a fear monger and people are always the biggest aspect that makes any place special...no matter what part of the world I have been in. Hell, I even had a great time with you Aussie folk when we had a friendly volleyball game against each other my last time in Kuwait. We won because I believe our aggression level was higher...unlike the Aussie forces, we weren't allowed to drink beer during our deployment. So we were spiking the hell out of the ball while our opponents were slamming down pints of Fosters and giggling around:lol3: It was a great time.

Hedge

American Infidel

My only point is you Aussies had the privilidge of owning guns and you just let your Government walk right into your homes and take them all away from you; thus leaving you unable to defend yourselves from those that have guns and should't!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Thomas Jefferson Quoting Cesare Beccaria)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

koifarm

Hooligan
Hey Matt,
After looking at the posts and thinking about what you wanted in a firearm and what you were going to use it for, and considering you are on a bike.
If I were you, I'd just get a nice airweight .357 Mag. five shot with some nice standard hollow points. Even more likely just a .38 spl with some +P rounds. With an airweight it's gonna buck a bit especially with the .357's but in a situation with an animal you're gonna be right close in all probability. Although the .357 would be marginal against an adult Griz or Black bear it would certainly stop a charge in short order especially if you are able to do a head shot. Awful difficult to keep your cool in an attack situation especially if you are in a tent but having the weapon right at hand, under your pillow so to speak, would likely be the best scenario.
If you're wiggling like a fishin worm on a hook in the jaws of a nasty old Griz, any rounds you can get in him are gonna change the situation but it ain't gonna be fun.
The airweights are nice, small, light weight and perfect for a CC on a bike.
More food for thought!
B

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Hey Matt,
After looking at the posts and thinking about what you wanted in a firearm and what you were going to use it for, and considering you are on a bike.
If I were you, I'd just get a nice airweight .357 Mag. five shot with some nice standard hollow points. Even more likely just a .38 spl with some +P rounds. With an airweight it's gonna buck a bit especially with the .357's but in a situation with an animal you're gonna be right close in all probability. Although the .357 would be marginal against an adult Griz or Black bear it would certainly stop a charge in short order especially if you are able to do a head shot. Awful difficult to keep your cool in an attack situation especially if you are in a tent but having the weapon right at hand, under your pillow so to speak, would likely be the best scenario.
If you're wiggling like a fishin worm on a hook in the jaws of a nasty old Griz, any rounds you can get in him are gonna change the situation but it ain't gonna be fun.
The airweights are nice, small, light weight and perfect for a CC on a bike.
More food for thought!
B

This reminds me of that grizzly bear joke:

http://www.outdooroddities.com/2008/07/23/grizzly-bear-warning-sign/

loxpump

Rocker
My only point is you Aussies had the privilidge of owning guns and you just let your Government walk right into your homes and take them all away from you; thus leaving you unable to defend yourselves from those that have guns and should't!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Thomas Jefferson Quoting Cesare Beccaria)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Couldn't have said it better Hedge!

Skeeter

Rocker
. I will have close to 24 years of military service when I come back home and retire which means I have had three investigations done on me for my security clearances,.

thanks for your service. carry that gun. youre a smart man. have a blast with your son. im sure itll be an awesome trip and even better bonding experience for you two. what will he be riding?

tezza

Street Tracker
hey bo6tang you have some sweet guitars i used to play in a band with a guitarist who had a g&l asat nice sound. both guitarists had les pauls one had a hammer it screamed great for heavy stuff rock on !

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
thanks for your service. carry that gun. youre a smart man. have a blast with your son. im sure itll be an awesome trip and even better bonding experience for you two. what will he be riding?

Thank you for that Skeeter. My son will almost be 11 when we do this trip so he will be riding on the back with me obviously. This trip is a big deal for all of us; no phones, televisions, video games, ipods, and whatever else. Just my son and I seeing the country from one coast to the other and back. I have family spread throughout the country as well as good friends that I have served with to stop and visit. I can tell that my boy is excited as we pull out our maps as he asks me about routes and what we will be able to get to see when we are at a certain place. My hope is that my boy gets something from this trip together that he can always keep with him after it is finished. This is part of the reason why it will start and end at Lady Liberty. I think there is a value to discuss with my son why this monument exists, what does it mean, and what does it really entail. To be able to say to him, "lady liberty is a symbol that we strive for so that we live in a democracy where people are free and are considered equal" and then to take that and cover the country all the way to Seattle and back. This is a great opportunity not only to ride a motorcycle through some unbelievable country but to also give my boy something that will open his eyes and hopefully make him think about things.

I will also be getting a different bike when I get bike to the states. I have done some pretty good touring on my Bonnie and it is perfect for the job when I am by myself but I want something else to go two up on. I have been looking over a lot of cruisers but I think I am just going to pick up a Speedmaster when I get back. These are great engines and they are more than capable to tour on plus its a really nice cruiser that doesn't break the bank. Of course I will keep the Creamsicle, there will just be another Trumpet keeping her company in the shed :D

Pete R

Banned
I can handle that Tezza; here is my arsenal...ranked in order of how like them/play them.

#1. 1985 Gibson Les Paul Custom with PAF pick ups...simply an amazing guitar. Like stated in Spinal Tap, you can hear the sustain when it isn't even getting played!

#2 2002 Gibson SG Standard
#3 2000 Fender American Strat
#4 1997 G&L ASAT...I wish I would of bought this guitar before the strat because G&L's are made how Fenders should be made. I find it ironic how many people that love Fenders do not know the G&L story.
#5 Epihone Les Paul Custom...gutted the pick ups out and put some seymour duncans in them. The dimebag darrell signature pick up in the bridge and the seymour duncan jazz pick up in the neck. From raunchy to buttery smooth in one nano second!!
#6 Ibanez RG270...yes, in case you were wondering, to play the hair band metal tunes that I still like!
#7 Austin strat copy...my $75 Chinese strat that got me started and yes...I still love this guitar.

Now all's you need is a nice amp to let rip with those geets :D This is what I build when I'm not riding the Trumpy...and they call it "work"...good thing I like my day job aye? :headbang2:

goldampfront.jpg

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
That is a nice looking amp; do you make tube amps? I was able to hunt down a 1982 Fender Music Champ that I am really happy with the tone. You can't beat the tube amps with the point to point wiring.

Pete R

Banned
Yeah mate I build guitar amps. The website is here -

www.reynolds-valveart.com.au

All point to point, the good old way. Amps got to be built the same way bikes should be built - that why I've got a New Bonneville! (well...Thruxton)

Hedge said -

But you forget that we're bad buggers. Convicts mate. No guns for us :D

My Grandad (several "greats") was a bit of a crook but my Nanna (his missus and just as many "greats") was a real piece of work apparently :eeek: A wonder she wasn't necked back in Pommieland.

So enjoy yer guns boyz :c I don't want one because I'm a loon (got me old nanna's genes ;) :D ) And if I'm a loon then I figure the next bloke I pass in the street could be a loon too - and I wouldn't really want him to have a gun either.

Not that I'm against guns - my Dad's got trophies from the all over the joint including the Queens shoot at Malabar, I can still remember the Anzac Rifle Range as a little tacker. More recently my Mum was only a couple of points off qualifying for the Atlanta Olympics in Air Pistol. She's cool my Mum. She and Dad would ride to the shoot at Malabar on the 500 Matchless - Lee Enfield .303 slung across Mum's shoulders (and she's 5 foot nothing)

Live and let live and ride on!

Last edited:

Motley

750cc
yeah yeah yeah,

but we don't have kids shooting up schools and killing their friends 'cose they got the sh.t's with a girlfriend or a teacher, do we eh ? :shh:

This isn't the thread for that argument. If you wanna lose an argument about gun ownership in the U.S. start yer own thread!

Motley

750cc
Hey Matt,....................................If you're wiggling like a fishin worm on a hook in the jaws of a nasty old Griz, any rounds you can get in him are gonna change the situation but it ain't gonna be fun...............More food for thought!
B

Food for thought, or food for Grizzly...........you're gonna put him off his trip. :eeek:

Pete R

Banned
Yeah but dude Lindy was innocent - proven when Azaria's chewed up little jumpsuit turned up years later.

Need to scrub her off yer list :)