Valve shims

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I need to check clearances and possibly change some shims on my 865 motor. Any special tools or tricks would be helpful to know. Also a source for shims would be good as well. I'd just like to save the 350-400 bucks they want for the 24k service

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
You can get the shims from Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki (and probably Suzuki, although I don't have a 'zuki garage near me). IIRR, the shims are 25mm, although if you just walk into the shop with one of your removed shims and the sizes you want, they'll be able to sort you out. From memory, Honda were cheapest, Triumph a little bit more and Kawasaki were a rip off, although the guy that runs that shop is an asshole.

Oh and get a Haynes!

Cheers
bob

sanjuro

Two Stroke
As far as special tools, you'll need a torx bit (not sure what size) to remove the cams and a torque wrench for reassembly. Don't forget to insert some kind of pin in the cam backlash gear or you'll have a hell of a time restoring the tension and putting it all back together properly. If you have any friends with Bonnies, you may be able to save on buying new shims by doing the valve job at the same time...you can often just swap shims around to get back in spec. If not, my understanding is most shops will sell you a handful of shims for just a few bucks.

I would strongly recommend a shop manual and finding a local friend that has some experience to give a hand...ThruxTonUp was a life saver in my case.

nohawk

Rocker
I just removed the backlash gears from both cams last time and haven't had any problems. It is a little noisier but not bad

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Well I don't know any triumph affecionados in town to come help. I reckon I'll wait till after the next track day and take it in to get done while I'm waiting for my f3 wheels to get powdercoated.

At least check the clearances yourself. You might find that you don't need to pay anyone to do anything, especially if they were done at 12,000 miles, as they should have been.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
At least check the clearances yourself. You might find that you don't need to pay anyone to do anything, especially if they were done at 12,000 miles, as they should have been.

They were done at 12 thousand, but I'm sitting at 24 thousand right now, so it is time to do it again. Anyone got 790 cams I can swap to while I'm in there? ;)

You can do this...Take pictures of everything so that way if you forgot where said part goes, just look back and you will know. Take your time. With the OEM service manual, forum how-to's, the Haynes manuel, you relaly can't go wrong. Plus, if you run into something and can't fix it, ask here and we'll be happy to help

Texas94fs

Hooligan
You can do this...Take pictures of everything so that way if you forgot where said part goes, just look back and you will know. Take your time. With the OEM service manual, forum how-to's, the Haynes manuel, you relaly can't go wrong. Plus, if you run into something and can't fix it, ask here and we'll be happy to help

I know I can do it, its just time sensitive, I have to be ready to go to the track on the 24th and I've been workin 6 day weeks so my day off is usually catching up on sleep and beer, Plus if I do it and am already gonna be in there I'll wait till I can source some 790 cams cheap and drop those in :woot:.

I know I can do it, its just time sensitive, I have to be ready to go to the track on the 24th and I've been workin 6 day weeks so my day off is usually catching up on sleep and beer, Plus if I do it and am already gonna be in there I'll wait till I can source some 790 cams cheap and drop those in :woot:.

Speaking of trackdays, I'll be doing a trackday this Sunday at a brand new track that just opened. Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

wait until after your track day.

+1!!!

derby boy

Two Stroke
When I adjusted mine I made a little tool to hold the backlash gears in place. Take some 1/8" copper tubing and a 4mm bolt that is long enough to go thru both gears. Cut the copper tube just long enough to go thru the bigger hole. You'll have to grind the O.D. of the tube just a little to fit. Then put the bolt thru the tube and thru the gears. Then I put a nut on the bolt and snugged it. This held everything together nicely while removing the cams. The one thing to be careful of is "DON'T DROP THE NUT". I suggest always stuff shop rags in chain opening when doing this kind of job.
Honda CB750, 900 & 1000 all use 25mm shims. $6.00 each at the dealer. If your going to swap cams wait till after track day because you'll have to pull the old cams, take a guess on what shims to install on new cams. Install the new cams, check all the clearances and calculate what shims you need to do it proper. This will take time and running to go get shims if needed.