Jumper' s knee

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Patella Tendonitis. I've got it for the past month. Previously I was fine.

Been resting it. straightening the knee, taking Ibuprophen.Fuggin knee hurts when I ride more than a half hour.

WTF can I do about this? !!! anyone?

Nick Morey

Rocker
I'm having similar problem with my wrists, carpal tunnel syndrome I believe. Webmd.com says take Ibuprofen if bad enough see a doctor. Friends and family say Doc will probably prescribe Celebrex or operate.

I have been taking Ibuprofen but notice I need more and more to stop pain and wrists are still swelling, so guess I'll be going to see doctor soon. I usually avoid the doctor like the plague, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Don't see any way around it, it is impairing my work capability.

You may be in a similar situation. Have you been to the doc's office yet?

Last edited:

Nick Morey

Rocker
Patellar Tendonitis Treatment

There are different kinds of treatment for patellar tendonitis, and these are either the conservative approach and the surgery. The conservative treatment is non-evasive and is often employed when the damage is minimal. However, there are some patients who have severe cases of patellar tendonitis that they will be required to undergo surgery.
Conservative treatment approach is aimed to lessen the strain and to gradually improve tendons. The doctor may require the injured person to take it easy for a while and rest, while giving him or her activities that will limit the use of the affected area. For athletes, the conservative treatment will also help them adjust the mechanics of their bodies by distributing the force they exert during workouts and physical activities. This method also includes exercises that will stretch and strengthen the previously inflexible and strained muscles and tendons. A massage is also included in the treatment, where stimulating the thigh and the calf muscles can greatly help and encourage the damaged tendons to heal.
Despite whatever form or process chosen, treatment and recovery will take some time, especially for those who will undergo surgery. The doctor will often suggest conservative treatment for pain relief and tendon improvement. To manage and alleviate the pain, the patient will be given medications to assist in the physical therapy treatments.

This is from itendonitis.com, the good news is it doesn't seem to be chronic if treated.

menzies

Scooter
Knee's

I have an appointment with the doc today at 14:30 hours and I know it will be a partial replacement prognosis but I will try to put it off till this fall so I can ride this spring. As Dandy Doug states getting old is not for woosies.

I think you are better off going to the doc and heading off anything that might get worse if you put if off. He might prescribe some physical therapy which can work wonders as it did on my shoulder, joints are like engines they need lubricant and exercise.

fender

Street Tracker
joints are like engines they need lubricant and exercise.

Your right about that. I've had both my knee and shoulder worked on and as long as I do strength and range of motion exercises the joints feel good. When I slack off is when the joints start to act up.

Every now and then I get Patella Tendonitis and it pretty much sucks constant pain ect. The only thing that seems to make a difference is rest, ice and anti-inflammatory meds. The ice feels the best as it numbs the joint down. A good home made ice pack that I've used is zip lock bags partially filled with crushed ice and rubbing alcohol, put in the freezer and it won't freeze solid but will be a pliable slush mix.

koifarm

Hooligan
I can sympathize with y'all on that stuff.
Just had an appt. with the ortho first of the week and what I thought was a rotator cuff problem was actually a bone spur from arthritis in the right shoulder. Doc said it was too early for a replacement shoulder and would treat it with cortisone to see how that works. The needle is six inches long and he punched into my shoulder joint, no anesthetic, and pumped the joint full. Right now the shoulder is just sore from the needle stick but less painful.
While there, we discussed my left thumb, I fell a while back and jammed it. Turns out I have "Gamekeepers Thumb" or ulnar collateral ligament injury.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamekeeper's_thumb
So now I'm scheduled with the "hand" guy in the practice to schedule a reconstruction surgery for that problem.
But, before that....heh...heh...heh...I go and see the surgeon about going back in on my left temple to get the rest of a basal cell carcinoma that the dermatologist did not get all of when he excised the initial growth. With luck I may get to keep my ear and eye on that side......
I'm just glad to know I can help all these docs pay off their fancy houses and cars.
I've got the surgeries scheduled for the last of April cuz I'm headed out for a two week canoe trip down the Suwannee river on the 12th. That way I can spend some time recovering while remembering my canoe trip....
Getting old sucks!

strokerlmt

Sal....hang in....
When my knees ache at nite no amount of over the counter will take away the pain. I won't take RX's.....so I usually just get up and make some coffee.
Its hell getting old.....
LMT

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Ice Ice baby...

Your right about that. I've had both my knee and shoulder worked on and as long as I do strength and range of motion exercises the joints feel good. When I slack off is when the joints start to act up.

Every now and then I get Patella Tendonitis and it pretty much sucks constant pain ect. The only thing that seems to make a difference is rest, ice and anti-inflammatory meds. The ice feels the best as it numbs the joint down. A good home made ice pack that I've used is zip lock bags partially filled with crushed ice and rubbing alcohol, put in the freezer and it won't freeze solid but will be a pliable slush mix.

Thanks, I did the Ibuprophen and ice packs with my leg straight and elevated and it really helped. My knee felt great. I overdid a bit today and the knee is hurting me. Back to ice packs tonight.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Would maybe highway pegs help?
I saw a bike at Mid-Ohio last year that had a homemade set.
Hmm, hang on a sec...

Yep, I found the picture here you go.

IMG_1454b.jpg

Not the greatest looking, but not bad either, and if it's functional (i.e. helps the knees) it's worth it.

Every once in a while I get a weird cramp in my left hip, only while on the Bonneville, and only when I've been doing 100-200 mile days. I damn near have to pull over, or stand straight up on the pegs it hurts so bad.

Oh, and with joint problems (and every organ system in the body) being well hydrated goes a loooooong way in keeping you healthy and helping you heal.
:)beer: Nope, sorry, that doesn't count. You have to drink two glasses of water to make up for one alcohol drink. ((Guess I'll be drinking A LOT of water!)) )
-K

T-boy

Rocker
Getting old is definitely not for the faint of heart. Sometimes it hurts just getting out of bed in the morning. I can ride for about 35 - 40 minutes before my fingers start to tingle and hurt--carpal tunnel or poor circulation, one of the two. Yesterday two of my younger co-workers were playing catch at lunch. "give me the ball, I'll show you some heat!", I said. Now...I quit playing ball about 9 years ago at age 50, and haven't even picked up a ball since, but I threw a high hard one from about 90 feet away. My shoulder hurts real bad today. Getting old does suck! Hope all you guys start feeling better soon.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Getting old is definitely not for the faint of heart. Sometimes it hurts just getting out of bed in the morning. I can ride for about 35 - 40 minutes before my fingers start to tingle and hurt--carpal tunnel or poor circulation, one of the two. Yesterday two of my younger co-workers were playing catch at lunch. "give me the ball, I'll show you some heat!", I said. Now...I quit playing ball about 9 years ago at age 50, and haven't even picked up a ball since, but I threw a high hard one from about 90 feet away. My shoulder hurts real bad today. Getting old does suck! Hope all you guys start feeling better soon.

Yep, chucking a ball or a disc without warming up is hell.
It got nice here in MN and I got out on the disc golf course first time this year.
The next day I swear I could feel every tendon and sinew in my right arm.
Creek...

-K

Kirkus51

Hooligan
As long as my joints don't pop and grind too much, I figure I'm doing OK. I had planters faciatus for quite a few years and finally got a cortizone shot. It worked really well. The thing I really don't like about this age thing is the recovery time. If I do anything physical for a while, I pay for it the next two days or so.

rodburner

Rocker
Ohh,me too,me too. This is the pain in the ass I've been saddled with for the past couple months.Lucky for me that it only hurts when I clench or grasp anything or when I don't clench or grasp anything. Now if I was just retired,I could jump onto Jeri's 2 month supply [lifetime supply for me] of morphine that she left behind...not really.I'm a Motrin kinda guy.
http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=45

strokerlmt

Rod....I have this thing with my knuckles. This mucus gland behind the cuticle. First knuck swells up and it is tough to grasp.
Shit I hate this...
LMT

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
ok, just for the record , I 'm not getting old, ha!! But man I have to lose some weight - that should help my knees... ice is helping a lot.

Texas94fs

Hooligan

Sheeeeit getting old? I'm the ripe old age of 22 and I can barely get out of bed some mornings because of the back. Doesn't bode well for me as i get older.

Sal I have some knee problems as well, the trick I use is this stuff called Bigleoil. Go into your nearest feed store or tack supply and ask them about it, or find a vet. Its essentially horse strength Icy hot. Rub some on the knee and take ibuprophen and ice after the effect wears off. Works like a charm, its what I use after days at the track and feel like a walking broken bone.

northcountry

Two Stroke
relief

Best topical I've used yet is CryoDerm. Has msm, arnica, boswella, ilex, etc.. Also take supplements- pectin, ginger, quercetin (with bromelain), formula 303 (with valerian, mag, etc.), rutin etc.. Doc wanted to give me steroids for my shoulders, and went for the natural anti-inflammatories instead, and has worked for me.