Remember you’re invisible.

aleonet100

Two Stroke
As the winter finally releases its death grip and we’re all hitting the road more, just a friendly reminder to be as alert for stupid drivers now as you were at the end of last summer.

Apparently when you start your bike it gives you the super-power of invisibility. Yesterday as I crossed the top line of a “T” intersection an SUV was pulling up to the stop on the bottom line of the “T”. Like an idiot I assumed she was going to stop. Next thing I know she’s in my lane right next to my left shoulder, pushing me towards the side of the road. She finally saw me just in time and swerved away.

She cruised past the stop and never, ever saw me.

Assume nothing and always be aware of the fact that you’re invisible.

(Sorry for sounding like the nagging parent that I am but stupid crap like that can just ruin your day.)

Norvel

Two Stroke
Very good reminder...

Around here when Spring hits it seems like these cagers are even more "Lost in Space" than usual....

Just driving around for work this week I saw two people just "RUN" the Red Light.

One on a Left turn and one going across the intersection.

And I mean they just ran it - didn't slow down a bit.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Well I "try" to remain invisible year 'round, no matter what I'm driving.

Focus on being as alert as I'd be on me motorbike, even if I'm not. :drive:

drlapo

Hooligan
a middle aged bitch in a Toyota SUV turned left in front of me and gave me the finger as she did it
and we get in trouble if we shoot them, go figure

koifarm

Hooligan
Wednesday I was in the cage sitting 8th in line at a red light. Watching the mirror and seeing a dipshit female kid coming up behind me on a cell phone texting and actually tapped my back bumper hard enough to bounce me a foot forward with the brakes on non the less.
Had I been on my rig, it would have resulted in major damage and possibly me off the bike.
I got out, checked to find no damage(fortunately for her) and threw up my arms in a "WHY" attitude....
I did notice, however, that my trailer hitch had punched a hole in her grille! Fortunately she didn't get stuck on that.
My diatribe was cut short by the light change but if i'd had the time I would have spoken to her, shredded her cell and given her a dose of "unhappy Bill" to munch on.
Here is an interesting bit of info.
"Get Horizontal"

by B. Jan Hoffman

43% of all motorcycle accidents occur as a result of an oncoming vehicle turning across the path of a rider. Drivers simply fail to recognize the motorcyclist's right of way. Their typical lament is "I just didn't see him". You might lament "How the hell is that possible, you were looking right at me, you zoned-out space cadet!"

Some motorcyclists may feel that drivers deliberately choose not to see us. They feel that drivers resent us because of our agility, acceleration, or designer leathers. Others suspect that some car drivers must be anally retentive psychopaths who compensate for their fear of flying by driving to kill.

In the urban rain forests of LA or New York, that may be true. But elsewhere, most drivers really don't see motorcycles. Well yes, their eyes see us, but the image doesn't register in the brain. Why is that?

Some intelligent doctor types have postulated that the brain is an organ which rejects, rather than gathers information. They believe that if all the information collected by the senses were to register, the brain would experience sensory overload and blow its fuses.

For example, all the billboards, signs and other visual messages along the road can't possibly register in the brains of car drivers. That would cause sensory overload. To prevent that, the brain tends to organize the world into systems; those which are important to the activity at hand, and those which aren't. The car driver's brain has learned to exclude the non-essentials, and to focus only on those objects which are a threat to survival. On the road, those objects are predominantly other cars. Because cars are much wider than they are tall, the brain systematizes threats as objects characterized by horizontal lines.

Things characterized by vertical lines are eliminated from consciousness as non-threatening, extraneous information. Trees, lamp standards, sign posts, bridge abutments, buildings; none of these vertical objects are liable to jump out in front of the driver to threaten his existence.

Along comes a motorcycle. The driver's eyes give it a quick visual scan and the brain determines that this too is a vertical object. No threat. No further focus required. Zone out. Continue replay of last nights debauchery.
The next thing you know, the driver turns left across your lane even though you can see him looking right at you!

In my early days of riding, an experienced rider hammered at me ceaselessly with the message that "You are invisible out there!" All I heard him say was "Be careful". I didn't understand at the time that he was saying "To most car drivers, you are literally invisible."

Anyone with experience on a bike knows that he was right. Many a novice rider has departed the corporal world because he rode his bike the way he drove his car; as if he could actually be seen.

My advice is, if you don't want to be horizontal, look horizontal. How do we do that? One way is to use running lights. Many Japanese bikes have orange running lights up front integrated into the signal light housing. That gives some sense of horizontal perspective to car drivers. Some Harleys have a pair of white driving lights alongside of the headlight. That's more effective due to the increased candlepower.

I've often lamented the lack of stock running lights on unfaired airheads. A single headlight does not give a sense of perspective, and therefore tends to disappear into the background. I replaced the stock signal lights on the front of my Roadster with 4" round signal/running lights. They immediately and dramatically improved the etiquette of the other users of the road. Some Airheads have disparaged the aesthetics of my "police" lights. I find the impromptu installation of a Buick grill even less attractive.

I've also converted the rear signal lights to signal/running lights. As with the additional front lights, they made an immediate improvement in the etiquette of other road users.

I realized the importance of rear running lights when I was following a friend home from Barley Therapy one dark evening. To my surprise, rather than focusing on his GS tail light and spacing myself accordingly, I soon found myself gauging my distance from the rear end of the car ahead of him.
His pathetic little taillight simply dissolved into the brighter lights of the car, and his bike effectively disappeared.

If this can happen to me, you can be sure it will happen to car drivers, who are not attuned to motorcycles.

So, get horizontal. Convert your signal lights into signal/running lights. If you are going to apply reflective tape to your bike, jacket or helmet, make horizontal or diagonal lines rather than vertical ones.

Most of all, negotiate our streets and highways as if you are invisible.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/moto...ar-drivers-dont-see-bikers.html#ixzz0jyIJjGZx

strokerlmt

Thx ...its good advice....the only close calls I have had have come from asshole drivers who don't see me because they are assholes not blind.
I really dislike highway driving...but I do ride a HW I usually always drive faster than anyone in the rt lane. My biggest close call was an asshole soccer mom in a SUV the size of Rhode Island. I was doing 70mph in the rt lane not looking at my mirrors when my mirrors went white. Her white SUV was a couple of feet from me. I took off...looked over my shoulder....yakking on teh F-----g cell phone.:fight2:
LMT

Kframe

Street Tracker
For those 'blind' drivers I'd love to get this, and then a bumper sticker that says
"Horn broken, watch for muzzle flash!"

bazooka_vespa.jpg

:rocket:
-K

Kirkus51

Hooligan
If we could just shoot little "stupid" flags at stupid drivers an have them stick on the side of their vehicles then you would see the flags and know how stupid the driver is by counting the flags.

Since that is impossible, my personal method is I try to envision a safety bubble around me and try to keep other vehicles out of it. It works about half the time. The other half is trying to be on my toes and hoping that I won't have a brain fart.

Nick Morey

Rocker
... my personal method is I try to envision a safety bubble around me and try to keep other vehicles out of it. It works about half the time. The other half is trying to be on my toes and hoping that I won't have a brain fart.

yep, that's just about all you can do.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Kirkus thats actually a great idea. Little magnetic ribbons that say "I don't see motorcycles' on them.

or just "IDIOT" Stands for "Identified Driver in Overload Trance".

See - its a safety thing... should be legal..

DandyDoug

750cc
Got out for the first all day ride in a while yesterday. At one point I was considering going home and hiding in the garage for a while. I have never seen more cases of bad driving as what I saw yesterday.

Too many to describe them all, but the two worst were a merge point on three roads that looked like a buster keaton movie scene, and later was the hot chick in the suv waving at the riders out of her sunroof as she ran off the road and got up on two wheels in the center ditch. How she did not roll over is a mystery to me.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Wednesday I was in the cage sitting 8th in line at a red light. Watching the mirror and seeing a dipshit female kid coming up behind me on a cell phone texting and actually tapped my back bumper hard enough to bounce me a foot forward with the brakes on non the less.
Had I been on my rig, it would have resulted in major damage and possibly me off the bike

Due to all the distractions, we have a new law regarding cell phones etc. Anyone caught talking on a phone, or other handheld device, it's $155 fine.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
every car in front of or to the side of you is nothing but an empty cardboard box able to to jump into your lane at anytime...think like that and try to make yourself seen (or heard) is how I try to ride everytime I go out.