Wives And Motorcycles

T-boy

Rocker
My wife enjoys 20 - 25 minute 2-up rides in the country on warm, sunny days. She doesn't hassle me one bit about my riding, and always makes a point to say "be careful" when she sees me putting on my gear. I think I'll keep her!

koifarm

Hooligan
My wife actually suggested I get the Bonnie, we were in the dealers "just looking" and she said "I saw the look on your face when you got on that green one, let's go buy it!"
So we did. She likes to ride every now and then, and loves the sidecar, probably rides about 30% of the times I go....trying to figure out how she and the dog can get into the car.....
Guess I'll keep her and the dog.....

DandyDoug

750cc
When my wife and I first met ( a very long time ago) I showed up with bikes, and plan to go out with them if at all possible. She used to ride pillion everywhere I went, but that has sort of gone away . She still enjoys the occasional ride and she is comfortable with my skill level.

strokerlmt

My wife doesn't like to ride. BUT she supports my hobby and passion. She just makes sure the ins policy is paid in full every year.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
My wife went from not having anything to do with it to riding her own Bonnie! It's just great when she gets home and says "It's perfect-let's fire 'em up!"

She went thru the MSF class and we started her on a 250-which was/is the right thing to do. Worked her way up to a Bonnie and seh's good for 250 miles or so per day. I'll get here there yet!

My ex was never keen on bikes and still cringes when I collect my daughter for the weekend with the Bon. Have just got used to ignoring any comments she makes on subject. Now my new partner is totally the opposite and is just as comfortable as a pillon or as a rider. Much to the dismay of my ex, the daughter is hassling me to get her a little postie bike (Honda CT110) of her own. When I take her to Thailand wth me She rides the similar models they have there all day. I can safely say my daughter has the same passion for bikes as myself.

Shamus

Scooter
My wife was dead against the bike in the beginning, probably due to my clumsy nature. 10+ con cussions and 10 orthopedic surgeries. She now realizes that the bike is the greatest stress relief ever made and thinks I should have had one years ago. She loves to ride, but the stock pillion and her back make her too uncomfortable after 30 min. She has said she wants to get one of those bikes with the "lazy boy wife seat" when the kids are all on their own. Hopefully someone will make aftermarket stuff like that for Triumphs one day so I dont have to go the HD or Goldwing route.

Rick

pepper

Street Tracker
"It's perfect-let's fire 'em up!"

+10, when she says lets go, everything stops and we're off

07black&red

Two Stroke
The 10 mile I-70 commute to and from work keeps me smilin'. She says I am a much easier person to be around when I get to ride so its worth the risk. Besides, she and our two-year old will be millionaires if and when I finally manage to kill myself so WTF??!!
In the words of the inimitable Bon Scott, "Ride On"
1 Year of cycle Insurance: $181.00
1.5 million life insurance policy: $26.32 a month
My sanity in an uber fucked up world: Priceless

Mlw

MLW loves to ride pillion. She's good for 6 to 8 hours with the occaisional break to stretch/gas/refresh. Every once in a while she indicates she will get her licence but is to busy with work and school to do it now.

I suspect she will continue to ride pillion as she indicates she really likes it. I've put saddlebags and sissybar pack on the bonneville and we've taken off for weekends when she has the time. I'm pleasently suprised how the Bonny handles two-up touring.

Think I'll keep her.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I have bought my wife several bikes over the years.( I never take passangers) She always likes them a lot a first and then she never rides them. I usually end up riding the bikes.
I learned to buy her bikes that I like.
Recently, I sold her buell and did not replace it, again because all the miles on it where from me.
Now she has bought two horses. Once again, she never rides the horses. I wish I could sell the horses because no one rides them! And these things cost money even when they are parked!!!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
+10, when she says lets go, everything stops and we're off-Pepper

Same here with my wifey. But she still doesn't use her motorcycle.......

Texas94fs

Hooligan
MY GF has been on a few rides, she likes it but is a fair weather rider for sure. Go her a pair of gloves and she uses my helmet, going to get her a jacket this weekend and her own helmet soon. She'll do the short 30 or so minute rides for a beer or grub but not much more than that without her arse hurting. . .the stock seat isn't really pillion friendly on the thrux

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
My girlfriend rides her own Bonnie. She rocks! You can find here here on the forum as our own Bonnielass. :)

zmilin

Street Tracker
Karen (gf) called me up one day from work telling me she wanted to get endorsed. Being from So Cal I didnt know what the meant BUT as soon as I did it was a done deal.
The end result.....
3028170063_7e7ee2b477_b.jpg

:cheers:

slowgator

750cc
How Things Change

Many years ago, before the kids came along, the wife enjoyed joining me on my rides. I guess time changes us all, and while my passion for riding has grown into midlife, her interest in riding has waned, but she is happy that I have something that makes me so happy. While she has accepted Bonny as the "other woman" in my life, as with most of our significant others, her main concern is with my safety and her worst nightmare is me buying the farm while out riding.

I assure her of my careful riding style, and to be honest, I prefer riding solo. While looking at a Nightster at the HD dealer during Bike Week, noticing the solo seat I asked the salesman where the wife would sit. "Same place as my wife, in the living room" was the reply as the zen moment sunk in.

D9

Vendor
... her main concern is with my safety and her worst nightmare is me buying the farm while out riding.

+1

That's my concern as well... so ATTGATT... no alcohol... no night riding... well considered routes... plenty of insurance. Still and alll... finding myself less interested in street riding lately.

Really interesting thread.

Never have given my wife even a short ride on mine... paranoia
over the possibility of a mishap... one of us needs to survive for the kids.

Last edited: