Wives And Motorcycles

Milo B

Scooter

Here's a topic for you. Anyone out there who have a partner / wife who won't keep you from getting a motorcycle, but doesn't necessarily like the idea of you riding one... the danger aspect?

I'm sure it's not just me so fess up.

Milo:flag:

loxpump

Rocker
Mine was my wife's suggestion. Besides both my daughters and her ride horses, and me too. Not exactly the safest past time either. :rock:

Last edited:

Uncle Fat

Scooter
Mine has no problem with me riding... she just has no desire to ride (even as a passenger). Pretty much just the way I like it.

ssjones

750cc
I bought the bike (America w/backrest) so the wife and I could spend some time together. She rode, but with a lot less enthusiasm than myself. Than, my oldest daughter got a bike and rode for two years. Last summer, she went down. Broke a bone in each foot and some skin abrasions. Of course, my wife had to nursemaid her back to health. After dealing with her injuries, my wife decided riding wasn't for her. I was and still am disappointed and it's definitely cut down on my riding. I travel a lot and when I'm home, try to to spend most of my time with her. But, I don't see her getting back on any time soon.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Mine has her own Bonneville ...

barber_012007.jpg

adrianwhipp

Two Stroke
mine took the MSF course with me, she was better than most of the boys, although I think the bonny's a little heavy for her cos she's tiny.

get your wife on the course, they go through so much safety stuff, and she just might surprise you.

Grayscale

Scooter
My wife was definitely concerned from a safety aspect. She was a little on the nervous-side the first couple of weeks. Kind of freaking out a bit when I would ride further than I said I would or the first time I rode at night etc.

She knows how many years I agonized over buying a bike before pulling the trigger, so after a few weeks of preparing her for the purchase, she was relatively OK with it. And I do mean relatively.

It's been a month-and-a-half so far without killing myself, so she's chilling out more as time goes on.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I was engaged to a gal and I was told to sell my bike or else. It really confused me cuz we basically dated for bout a year and half the dates were on my bike. I've been a happy batchelor ever since then.

But as every rider knows it's an extremely rare thing that you don't have an accident at one time or another. Better Halves find this most distressing.

Last edited:

Beaman

Two Stroke
My wife bought me my Bonnie for our Anniversary and I bought her a little UM cruiser for the next one! I am lucky on so many levels. Thinking about that keeps me going on those occasional 14 hour work days...

Beaman

Two Stroke
I was engaged to a gal and I was told to sell my bike or else. It really confused me cuz we basically dated for bout a year and half the dates were on my bike. I've been a happy batchelor ever since then.

Good for you from one Kirk to another. Truth be told, it would've been something else, if it hadn't been the cycle.

simpson

TT Racer
my GF likes to ride pillion, but not too far from home.

+2 here.

My girl was excited about me having a bike, said she LOVED to ride.
I guess the Thruxton's seat is a little uncomfortable for her.

Good news is: she's already mentioned me getting "another" bike when I get employed...you know, for us.
...i think i love her.

-simpson

Skeeter

Rocker
i got my thrux from a guy whos wife made him sell it.
m young and relized i need to find a girl to marry thats ok with bikes, guns and tattoos. i look around and see alot of guys changin thier ways and bein mad cause thier wives/gf willnt allow somehting... thats doesnt seem like any fun

niftee

Scooter
My wife has been riding for nearly as long as I have. We both ride to work each day, rain or shine. She has her own bike and gets pissed off when anyone assumes she rides pillion.

We even buy our bikes at the same time, I traded my old bike in on my bonnie in May, she then got rid of her old bike and bought a new Kwaka ER6n just after.

She also likes camping, bushwalking and shooting. All the things I like, although I love a good homebrew but she won't touch it. That's ok, more for me.

fishonline

Scooter
Mine told me to buy the Speedmaster because she was sick of me dragging her to the dealer to show her the bike. She then told me that if she was going to riae any distance with me she wanted a more comfortable seat.....We now have a Goldwing as well as a Speedmaster....

pepper

Street Tracker
My wife rides her own as well. When the kids were young we'd put one on each bike with us and ride all over AZ and NM. It's great fun and lifetime memories when everybody get's involved.

Bonneville035.jpg

Girlfriend was sick of hearing me talk about wanting one, so she told me to just go get it. I did and sinice then she's been fine with me riding, but has only been a passenger around the neighborhood in 2nd gear.

We're getting married on Saturday. holy shit.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
My wife is okay with me riding. But we have a deal that I will be careful, not ride into the city (very often) not go too fast, stay safe. I wear full gear and try and keep alert. When I went up to Indian Lake last summer she asked me to stay off the superslab and even though it meant an extra 1.5 hours each way, I agreed. I respect her feelings.

Anyway, a few months after I got the Bonneville she started window shopping for bikes and actually picked out some 800 cc Harley clone thing from some woman in town and as part of the deal she got invited to hang around at some picnics and rides with the "Iron Riders" , a local HD pirate club here. So, of course I nixxed all that, essentially because the bike was 12 years old, needed carb work and was 4 grand (!), and the whole pirate thing. I mocked the club and my wife blabbed about it to someone and its a small town so one day at a town event someone I barely knew asked me why I always make fun of the Iron Riders! Ooops!! Hey - they are nice people but I'm not wearing a doo rag and a leather vest with a patch and neither is my wife.

So after dashing her dreams of Harley riding I found a really nice GS250 for her and tried to teach her to ride, I took her to get her permit and I registered the bike and I suffered long and hard as she tried to learn the basics. She used to ride dirt bikes with me a long time ago so she had the basic reflexes. But she was really a novice level rider and she only improved slightly. She was really limited to back roads and short cruises.

After a year of riding she lost interest .The bike, registered and insured, just sits there. She keeps telling me she is going to ride it, so I have been taking it for short "mercy" rides. I just put new tires and GS450 forks on it. That little bike handles! Anyway, her permit expired, now she says she will renew it in the spring. I am thinking of getting her a Buell Blast like Mrs. Pepper has in the hope that the nicer bike and Harley connection will interest her.

A friend of mine bought a nearly new Dyna Sport and then his wife bought the Dyna Lowrider.. I think it was the worst thing that ever happened to him. She TOTALLY RULES his life and he can't go riding without her, when she wants and with who. So he has a nearly new DYNA and has put on 1000 miles in 2 years. Poor bastard. His first job at every stop is to take her jacket for her and get her purse out of his saddle bags.. I haven't seen him since I had a minor disagreement with his wife about me riding ahead and she banned me. He isn't allowed to ride with me because I am a "total a--hole". Translation: I don't bow down to her and let her rule my rides and my days off so she hates me.

So, its complicated.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
wives AND motorcycles?
ex wives tolorated the bikes (but did not tolerate me)
first wife: DT100 Yamaha and TS100 Suzuki, she rode enduros
2nd wife: back of my RD400 and T140
3rd wife: built her a B25 BSA, didn't like it,
built a XS 650 Yamaha, didn't like it
DT50 Yamaha, too small
125 Honda, no thanks
now she farts around on a Suzuki Savage (no class at all)
glad to be rid of her

Last edited: