why protection is good

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Thought I would share a learned and valuable lesson today as it all went down about an hr ago. I suspect some of you will chide me for being dumb.

Dont clean your tires with off the shelf Tire Cleaner (of the AmorAll sort). It makes for a slippery and ineffective contact patch for your tires. Even if it was only put on the tire walls, it spreads. LAST TIME - I'll ever do that....thankfully the damage to the bike is minor.

It slipped out from under me 3 blocks from my house as I pulled out of an intersection. A weird sensation, let me tell you. Managed to bop my chin off the pavement and even with leathers (and jeans) I managed to get some very minor road rash.

Other than a few scraps to the clutch case and pipes and bent-to-shit gear control, its all good.

Parting thought -I almost always wear an open face, just felt like putting on the Arai today for no particular reason, kinda strange. My Davida and Bell wont be on this lid for a while...

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 0
  • arai.jpg
    arai.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

T-boy

Rocker
Glad to hear your okay. Michigan just repealed it's helmet law. I now see 50% of riders going helmet less. I wouldn't think about taking off without one. I am, however guilty when it comes to riding without a jacket.

strokerlmt

Hey Bud......glad you are ok.......I might have some bits that would fix up the ride. Let me know what you need. Pictures if you can.
LMT

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
sorry man, that sucks.. Dumb.. maybe. I mean we all are sometimes.. ..I'll never put Armor all or tire protector on now that I read this---Thanks for the heads up.

I ride with a guy and whenever we go across to CT he rides with no helmet. I yell at him to put his lid on and when he asks me why I say - very slow and seriously - " because I don't want to explain to your wife why you weren't wearing one."

That usually gets him.
It creeps me out to ride without a helmet. Glad you are okay.

Trebo

Scooter
Fuck. You don't know how timely this is - I was just looking at the new Pirellis thinking they needed cleaned up, and about to do the same thing. Glad you're OK.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Fuck. You don't know how timely this is - I was just looking at the new Pirellis thinking they needed cleaned up, and about to do the same thing. Glad you're OK.

This is the perfect reason to share some of our shit with each other on this forum. I am glad you are all right...scrapes heel faster than pride and fortunately you will ride another day with more experience and knowledge under your belt

Demar

Two Stroke
I bought my T100 last June 28th and at the end of July I rode it to my good friends house for him to check it out for the first time. I've known my buddy since 1st grade.... 45 years ago. He was so excited to see it and immediately grabbed the Armor All Tire and put it on my front tire sidewalls. I didn't think too much about it.

Two weeks later I took it in for the 500 mile service and the service department called me about the tire dressing, telling me to never put that on, that it will spread to the tread.

I paid them $20 to clean it off.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
40% of head impacts are to the chin and lower jaw. No lecture from me but when it's too late there is no "do over" and the effects of a facial impact are NOT nice.

You got lucky-don't get lazy later on.

It was in the high 80's today,I was riding in my son's Forester,while at a stop light I saw two twenty somethings ride by on there rice rockets SHIRTLESS ! After seeing that WTF moment we headed toward syracuse and I saw a guy who was older (and should have know better) riding a Kawaski dual purpose in shorts.I kept thinking back to this post and the proper gear.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
The past few days were just beautiful here. There were mad speeding groups of bikes all over. Most of the riders I saw speeding were wearing wife beaters, skid lids, no gloves.

Meanwhile I am wondering how my Joe Rocket mesh motorcycle jacket will hold up.

DandyDoug

750cc
I guess we all make mistakes at times, you got away lucky !
Glad you are not hurt worse than you are.

When i lived in FL. ( a no helmet required state) I decided one day to ride helmet less up to the gas station to fill up. I got so spooked I called my wife and had her drive over in her car with my helmet so I could get back home.

I admit that at times when it is hot I do wear a 3/4 with a face shield, but I have not put it on this year so far. A well fitted flip front is my choice now, and when it comes time to replace it I will probably go to a full faced solid type.

Motley

750cc
Jeebus!

Good to hear you're not too badly banged up. With this nice weather we've been having I have been wearing a 3/4 Bell, I think I'm going to wear the full helmet today.

BTW, to shine up the sidewalls of your tires, buff 'em with a stiff bristled brush.

LA_Geezer

Scooter
I have a mesh jacket like Sal, but I admit that as hot as it gets here in Louisiana I don't wear it very often. Usually it's just boots, jeans, t-shirt, gloves and 3/4 helmet.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Overall it was fairly minor as I wasnt even 1/2 way through the intersection. My neighbour who was behind me on his H-D said it was weird to watch as it happened so fast and didnt make sense at all. I hadnt revved the bike or leaned over anything out of the ordinary. When we put it to the side of the road and ran our fingers down the tread there was a slippery/oily film from the tire cleaner. I dont know for certian if that was what caused the bike to slip out but its the only thing that makes any sense as it didnt look like there was anything on the road (sand, oil, etc).

I think I would be looking at gear a bit different right now. The pisser is my Arai is only a year old but I guess that's what it was meant for - protecting the egg.

Left shoulder is a bit tender and the right wrist is slightly sprained but I'm on the mend. My wife, who I thought would freak when I told her what happened was actually pretty good about it and says that now my helmet looks "legit", whatver the the hell that means.

Once I get a new gear pedal - i'll be back at it...

cheers

Beachfinn

Scooter
Personally i prefer washing off sweat, over skin graphs :)
Sidi full lenght boots, draggin liners, Dainese knee/shin protectors, Kevlar reinforced bike jeans, A*s Bionic chest/back protector, perforated leather jacket with elbow/shoulder protectors, Triumph reinforced gloves and Icon full face. Yes, i do wear it all everyday commuting rain or shine, even in Florida august :)

And full leather for spirited stuffs.