First & Last performance mods

EncoreJoe

Scooter
I just snagged some used TORS off e-bay! I already have a Uni-filter installed and a polaris bellmouth is waiting to be installed.

120 main jets are on order along with needle shims.

Then I'll be finished, I promise! No big bore kit, no cams, no full Thunderbike exhaust. None of that will be needed! Really.....:ride:

(What are my chances?)

Joe

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Congrats on the TORS. They sound great on the Scrambler!

I don't like your chances of stopping the performance mods there.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Congrats...

But your chances of being done are about the same as the check being in the mail, and well you know...

EncoreJoe

Scooter
Even going up to the next size jet with air filter made a difference. I think you guys may be right. I like it!

I'm riding out to Big Bend National Park this month in current configuration and when I get back I'll need to check the valves and will begin the power hunt. :)

drlapo

Hooligan
suspension mods are next
the shocks are marginal and the forks are inadequate: Hagon and Race Tech emulators maybe + springs

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
suspension mods are next
the shocks are marginal and the forks are inadequate: Hagon and Race Tech emulators maybe + springs

+1

Don't under estimate how much upgrading the suspension will improve your ride. Brakes too! They count as performance mods, right?

EncoreJoe

Scooter
I did the Hyperpro progressive fork springs earlier and they made a great difference.

I also put on Progressive 412 rear shocks last month. They are better than stock for sure!

Joe

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
thanks wise, reminds me I gotta get to it and install those EBC HH's ....

I just put HH pads on the rear brake last week because of an oil filter mishap. I've had them on the front with the floating rotor for over a year now. The HH pads feel great on pavement! I'm very pleased. Haven't tried them on gravel roads yet but I imagine I'll have to be a little more tender with the rear brake now. No big deal.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I just put HH pads on the rear brake last week because of an oil filter mishap. I've had them on the front with the floating rotor for over a year now. The HH pads feel great on pavement! I'm very pleased. Haven't tried them on gravel roads yet but I imagine I'll have to be a little more tender with the rear brake now. No big deal.

Yeah, the HH's will be a big improvement in the front. I'm not sure I feel a need to change the rears, as that brake feels pretty good to me (until I have a similar oil filter mishap - :) ) I may also replace the front rotor with a floater. Which one did you install?

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Yeah, the HH's will be a big improvement in the front. I'm not sure I feel a need to change the rears, as that brake feels pretty good to me (until I have a similar oil filter mishap - :) ) I may also replace the front rotor with a floater. Which one did you install?

Ryder,

I used the EBC pro lite rotor.

EncoreJoe

Scooter
Not so fast

It seems all is not well in Scrambler land.

I've been having intermittent ignition problems with my right cylinder dropping out for a couple of months.

I have replaced both coils and plugs, and also the sensor under the alternator cover with proper air gap.

After about 400 miles trouble free including a 200 mile day I was all packed to ride out to Big Bend National park today for a long weekend getaway.

I made it about a mile and the right cylinder dropped out again!

I've been riding only about 7 years but have done almost 100k miles on 3 other bikes. Only the Scrambler has left me stranded.

Do the computers retain fault codes so dealers can see what happened? The problem is so intermittent that I'll be surprised if it happens when it is in the shop.

I'm taking it in Saturday and may well trade it in if another bike catches my eye. I don't feel I can trust the Scrambler any more.

You can color me frustrated and possibly gone!

Joe

simpson

TT Racer
Is your Scrambler still under warranty? You may want to call your dealer (or Triumph NA) and find out.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Joe...especially with it stealing an opportunity to ride from you!

-simpson

EncoreJoe

Scooter
Thanks, Simpson. The bike is out of warranty but I'll be taking it to the dealer to sort things out.

So help me, I'm seriously considering a Wee Strom! (Really...)

I'm sure it will work out, and it did have the consideration to break down 2 miles from home instead of in the middle of west Texas.

That's something...

Take care.

Joe

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
You are lucky that happened so close to home. Sorry to hear about your ignition problems. Only ignition problems I've heard of are moisture related and cured with a generous application of dielectric grease on the coil connections. Have you tried that?

EncoreJoe

Scooter
Grease

Yes, I dabbed some grease on when I changed the coils, and I wiggled things around yesterday too.

While it was hot it was running on only the one cylinder even after sitting for 15 minutes.

After I returned with a trailer and started it to drive it up it ran normally again.

I'll be curious to see what the dealer finds, if anything.

I didn't feel lucky yesterday, but I really was.

Thanks!

Joe