On Your Bike

14/02/2011

Introduced by Wayne Gardiner, former motorcycle world champion

This week's program charts the adventures of an octogenarian motor bike rider who's suddenly become the centre of a social networking phenomenon.

When Doug Sunderland succumbed to the blues after losing his wife and being diagnosed with cancer, his GP told him to 'get back on his bike'.

He did... and it 'saved his life', so much so, that he decided to ride around Australia solo, surviving on tinned food and sleeping by the road.

Then, unexpectedly, the 85 year old was befriended by young bike rider Kris Growcott who started a Facebook page to rally support for the veteran.

Suddenly fans were joining up in their hundreds and, for Doug Sunderland, everything changed in the most delightful way...

To watch this program go to the link below and click on "On Your Bike (Watch Full Program)" on the upper right of the screen.

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/

The video will probably only be available for a week so grab a look while you can, it's well worth your time. The story runs for half an hour.

I had a non motorcycling friend drop in today and he was telling me about that program, was sorry that I'd missed it. Aussie, thanks for the link, very enjoyable to watch. I do know a few old blokes of that ilk and look up to them, we all have to keep on keeping on or turn into dust.

Well, at 57 I was starting to think of myself as old - for a motorcyclist - but he has changed my way of thinking. Absolutely inspirational.

Even when I "rough it" on a ride I take a swag - he just rolls himself up in a tarp - makes me feel like a woose.

He's a tough old bugger by any standards but at age 85 he just blows me away.

mark66

TT Racer
Thanks for posting the link....I'm 62 now and its guys like Doug that are inspirational and make me want to get out and keep riding.