Why did you buy a Bonneville/T100?

wilderness

Scooter
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and was curious what prompted the rest of you to buy a standard Bonneville or Bonneville T100? I know for myself, I wanted something that wouldn't go out of style in 2-3 years and I really liked the classic looks. I didn't want a harley because it seems now days that everyone is buying them and I didn't want a japanese bike because they don't really make anything that fits my style. I really wanted a British bike. This is my second Triumph (2008 T100). I had a Thruxton and loved it but now as I slip into middle age, I need something a little more comfortable. Anyway, I'm happy to be here. Thanks, Bob

Last edited:

Iceseven

750cc
I came from the old Triumphs, 1974 Trident which I rode for close to twenty years when the new ones came back I bought a 95 T-Bird and then a 04 Bonnie Black and now a Scrambler, just can't imaging going without a Triumph, just very special bikes.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Bonne

Had a 65 in 68. Loved it till the Jap bikes came out (305 Scrambler) & the old Brit looked well OLD! Now the new Jap bikes as yousay dont fit my likes & I am old- so the Bonne is back & better than ever!! Mine is more reliable etc than any jap bike (almost) I have had! The looks are timeless as well. Besides its a piece of history! Anyone over 40 will have something to say .I got 04 - real Brit & the new ones are straying from the real classic bike . Cant replace mine. Bonne's werent bulit to have EFI. Govt makes it a must but I got my carbs & its all metal the whole bike!

drlapo

Hooligan
slip into middle age! never!!!
I'm 60 and ride my Thruxton everywhere
it's going to Bennington this year
but I do have my T140 and BMW R80 for "relaxin"

Personally, I had ridden Jap stuff since 1978 and was looking for something different. I had test ridden Buells when they first came out around 1995, and had also tried Triumph's Thunderbird around the same time, and really liked them. I ran into a deal at a bike shop, this guy had bought an 01 Bonneville and put TORS, a grab rail and some chrome bits on it, rode it 1000 miles and decided it didn't have enough power and consequently traded it in. I bought it on a whim and haven't looked back. I'll ride it until I or it doesn't move anymore. Admittedly, I doubt I'd buy a new one cause of all the plastic bits that used to be steel and the fact of the Thailand assembly point. The way mine has gone so far, 32,000 miles, it may very well outlive me!!!

I have always loved the Bon and tho ridden many triumphs over the years. I could only ever afford Kwaki Z series Lookalikes. My Bon is just the best all round bike I have owned and I never tire of it. Mine is the 02 model 790cc and I also agree that I like the steel bits that are now coming out in plastic but dont really think that Thailand assembly is a disadvantage at all. I still buy lots of bits when I visit there for my VW's as the quality and craftsmanship is just as good as the original German stuff and far better than the brazilian stuff now being made. I also get bits made for my bike to. Thai tourist stuff may be shite but if you ever go there and see some of the old bikes and cars that are restored to perfection you may change your views re thai manufacturing.

cynr1023

TT Racer
'cause I thought it was the coolest fucking motorcycle in the world when I first saw it!!

incidentally I still do.

Mahart

Two Stroke
For some reason I waited until my mid 30's to learn to ride. This bike spoke/speaks to me. I've ridden several other since getting my M and I always enjoy the Bonneville. She's not the fastest or best handling, but she's always a great ride.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I got mine because..... well it's a long story. I got it because I wanted to get one for BonnieLass, who rode for years (yes, she really had a CB500 and boy is she peeved that she doesn't still have it), but hadn't ridden in ages. I thought to myself, what a great birthday gift, and I knew because I'm a good listener that the only bike she'd consider owning was a Bonnie.

So there I am admiring her birthday present, thinking, she's gonna love this - and I have a backroad commute and she rides metro, so I can ride it to work and she can ride it on weekends and... wait. Now I'll never see her again. Crap.

*sigh*

Well, at the time (this was 2 years ago), the last time *I* had been on a bike was in 1979... had a Kaw 350 for a summer. But I thought, clearly I need to get TWO bikes, one for me, one for her. So I went and did a little shopping, sat on some cruiser (don't even remember which one), reached to the bars, and thought damn this would be uncomfortable as hell. And I thought, well, BonnieLass has stated the only bike she'd own is a Bonnie, I *do* like the way they look, and I *had* been having the devil of a time trying to decide whether to get her a Black or a Green (that's what they had in stock). So I went back and got them both (I'd actually put a deposit on both already to hold them while I made up my mind on the color)!!!

After her birthday, I took the MSF course, got my license, and now I ride every chance I get. 11,000 miles in two years.

So the short answer is "I got a Bonnie because that's the one my wife picked". You'd have to ask her why *she* had a Bonnie Boner.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Its the perfect iconic essential motorcycle. I absolutely love this bike. I can't imagine ever giving it up.

I loved riding when I was younger, had a KZ400 for two years and before that a DT250.

I remember I always loved British cars as a teenager.I thought Roger Moore was my step dad and I worked in a warehouse that had old brit sports cars in it. SoI had a hard on for British design. As for bikes, I wanted a Ninja .I remember my pals and I stopping and looking at a Bonnie for sale in the early 80's and thinking it was old fashioned crap, laughing at it. But I remember I looked back at it as I walked away and then stopped and looked again as if that old rattletrap was talking to me. I can still see the image of that bike 25 years later.

20 years later the Bonneville is the same but I am different.Now I think its the coolest bike on the planet and have no interest in Ninja's. Funny how our tastes change.

Last edited:

tchef

Scooter
I was a nonconformist rebel @14..... @61 still am.To me, It is the quintessential motorcycle.:worthy:

biker7

Banned
I really enjoyed all the responses. I just bought my '09 Bonny having come off a heavy cruiser which just wasn't for me. Just got done changing the oil in fact...first 500 mile oil change. As Sal said, I absolutely love this bike. The right size, the right weight...a motor that pulls hard to 7500 RPM...and standard riding position.
To me the Bonny remake is plain and simple the quinessential motorcycle. There isn't another motorbike I like better.
George
Edit: F-ing spooky...tchef and I wrote the same thing at the same time...unreal.

Last edited:

Beaman

Two Stroke
When I was younger, I had a friend with a Royal Enfield, and I was awfully jealous. So, on our last wedding anniversary my wife bike bought me a Bonnie. So, everytime I ride the bike I think of her. I know, cheesy, but I can't imagine owning another bike....

drooartz

Scooter
I've always had a thing for classic looking bikes -- just a nice simple ride. After a few other bikes (including a W650 I wish I still had) it was just finally time to give the Bonnie a go. I've got a thing for British iron (I'm restoring an Austin Healey Sprite right now as well).

I also like that I can use more of the Bonnie's performance -- my last bike, a Vstrom 650, laughed at me and always asked for more. I always knew that I wasn't using anywhere near the performance available. The Bonnie can move along nicely, but can also relax a bit as well. It's performance envelope and mine seem to be a good match.

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
I had a Yam XT but the pillion seat was useless when I met my now Wife. I wanted a simple, functional, go anywhere long distance bike. After the F650 in the Sahara incident I won't buy anything with a Rotax motor and try to avoid liquid cooling. Having dealt with Honda parts clowns on my first bike I won't touch a Honda. I looked at:

BMW R80GS: All over 20 years old, weird gearbox and carbs and electricals with lots of pit falls, over priced. (£3500 for a BM with 60,000 miles, £4750 for a Bonneville with 3 miles)
Kawasaki W650: Poor availabilty and not quite enough power.
Kawasaki ER-5: My dad had one. Nice bike but no motorway tool two up.
Harley 883 Sportster: Dealer was full of **** about the "closed season" whatever that is and upgrades to a 1200 when I've "got some experience". Told him to **** off, I've been riding for 15 years from the North Cape to North Africa and just don't need 1200cc. Nice bike though.
Bonnevilles; bought one.

The Triumph dealer was having a launch of some sort and the sales guy was off his face on champagne having seen no one from when they opened at 1030 to when I walked in at 430. Made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

So, don't care what it looks like and havn't a clue about any bike made before 1990 (although I've had an Enfield, so I sort of so) but it's sure met my requirements. This is the bike I've kept the longest.

I do wonder why Triumph havn't worked this out. With the exception of a 200 mile tank they could knock out a parts bin special that'd have the Honda Deauville market wrapped up in a week. I guess there is just more money in the retro-style thing.

Andy

AceT100

Rocker
I had a Ducati Monster, wanted a replacement, didn't like the feel of the new Monster so bought a T100...I'm over the speed demon bit, just want a fun ride. Got exactly what I want.