Why did you buy a Bonneville/T100?

ivar

TT Racer
When Triumph was brung back to market, I thought the bikes looked nothing special. Even the Bonneville introduction passed under my radar.

Then the Thruxton was announced - and I just knew I had to have one of those. The Thrux also opened my eyes for the TBirds, Sprints and regular Bonnevilles.

Was 2 Bonnies in town, a 02 and a 03 . Then when the owner of the 02 put it up for sale, I just couldn't afford not to buy it.
That was in the spring of 06. Got it dirt cheap as the seller had trouble with the bike cutting out in the rain. Scrounged the T-rat.net forum for information , and looks like the problem was as simple as the tank vent hose.

Have a buddy asking if I want to sell it - Never! is my answer.

Also planning on selling the SV and find a Thunderbird (triple) as a stablemate for the Bonnie.

grindal

Scooter
needed a more powerfully bike, was riding before with a chopper 125cc, and since i started using the bike for everyday riding, needed a heavvyer one...

no racer bike for me so i had to shoose between a new chopper or a bonneville... and because it is a retro bike and smaller than a chopper my choise was quickly made...

Retro bike! Reproduction, Copy. Those are the sort of things I expect to hear from the old school boys. I have never looked at my bon as a retro. Its just a continuation and improvement of the Bonneville first manufactured in 1959 like VW Kombis or Ford capris.
Retro WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT :)

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Well, its not a natural developmen or continuation. Its another bike and it kind of ignores a touchy artistic design debate. Retro, repro, copy, phoney. My take on it is there was life left in the old design. The market for it was there because there was something that the plastic faired space ships and chrome laden v twins did not have . And thank God someone went back and took the very best of the old design and put it into a new bike. Why not use a great design that still has a market?

dscott3509

Two Stroke
My take on it is there was life left in the old design. The market for it was there because there was something that the plastic faired space ships and chrome laden v twins did not have . And thank God someone went back and took the very best of the old design and put it into a new bike. Why not use a great design that still has a market?

I got my first bike last summer. I'm 38, and loved watching my neighbor ride his 70's Honda around the neighborhood. When I decided it was finally time to learn to ride, I wasn't happy with the idea of some Harley, or clone, or a the Hondas and Suzukis out there. I saw a Scrambler which reminded me of my neighbor's bike, and then saw a Bonnie. I looked for other, more "beginner friendly" bikes, but nothing had the appeal that the Bonnie had. It can do a bit of everything, and I'll never use it to the full potential.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I had bought a Jap cruiser and discovered that after about ten miles I wasn't enjoying the ride cuz my back was singing to me so bad I had to stop and get off. So while looking at bikes I discovered the Bonnies. Just a nice fairly upright position, a seat you can move around a bit on and not too much weight to contend with. Enough power to have fun and enough looks to turn heads most of the time.

Besides, it brought back the smile that's supposed to be on anyone's face when they ride.:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
Well, its not a natural developmen or continuation. Its another bike and it kind of ignores a touchy artistic design debate. Retro, repro, copy, phoney. My take on it is there was life left in the old design. The market for it was there because there was something that the plastic faired space ships and chrome laden v twins did not have . And thank God someone went back and took the very best of the old design and put it into a new bike. Why not use a great design that still has a market?

Spot on.

I really couldn't care less about artistic design and brand history, it just so happens that before about 1966 most models lacked a certain something and after they started to add things I don't need.

Andy

Sorry I cannot agree with that at all.
Spot on.

I really couldn't care less about artistic design and brand history, it just so happens that before about 1966 most models lacked a certain something and after they started to add things I don't need.
The BSA has a most outstanding history and if you saw some of the designs particularly the empires and the original gold star. And if you ever get the chance just look at a dvd called The best of British There is a bike just before there amalgamation with Triumph that would have changed History if they were prepared to say that it is guaranteed to win the TT. No one would, and it was never built other than the prototype. Ok that was after 66 but to say there was none before is just not the case. Do watch Best of british, you just wont believe some of the bikes well before 66. I also still believe (sorry sal) it is a continuation, as was oil frame to the Bon. But I cant deny also that i do care about artistic design and I guess due to my age Brand hstory. I just love the history of bikes full stop

Last edited:

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
I think I've set myself up a little misunderstanding, I picked 1966 as roughly the year Triumph got it right. Apologies.

I was thinking in broader terms. Before the Bonneville the metallurgy and suspension were still developing, I've owned an Enfield Bullet and it's performance was unacceptable for 500cc's except the range/economy. After the Bonneville we get more than two cylinders and watercooling and other stuff I can live without/break, but the metalurgy mostly improves. I would be happy with a 2004 Kawasaki W750 if they'd made one (650 lacked go), or a 2004 BMW R80GS if they existed, or a Moto Guzzi Quota with working FI, or a Ural without the parts that were made of cheese or...

The fact that Triumph took the "1966" technology level and tuned it just really suits me.

I'll look out for the DVD though.

Andy

bonZa

Street Tracker
I think I'm in love with my bike

why did I buy a Bonnie?

gorgous looks, I love that naked touch and a real great ride. plenty of spirit and get up and go, and she handles oh so well and purrs so nice.

and for my Bonneville....
reliable
value for money
no liquid cooled stuff for me
fairly unique. dont see em everyday
have always been attracted to them

now, did I get that right or was it the other way around.

KingBear

Hooligan
There's a W650 for sale in my area, all factory original 2001 with only 3,300 miles on the clock, $4,500.00. Just appeared on CL
yesterday. If there's one other bike I would like to have aside from my Bonneville it is that one.

0107_bonnie_w6502_zoom+2001_kawasaki_w650+side_view.jpg

Last edited:
Oh...a good campfire type story. I never get tired telling this story. I might get tired typing it. It's a long story, but a good one.

Prior to getting a Bonnie, I already had my Daytona 675 for a couple of years now. A year into motorcycling, I realized you can never just have one bike. And while I had that thought, I could never fathom that I could afford one...until it dawned on me one day.

It was Halloween and I was out partying at the bars and whatnot. I was there having a good time, but it just didn't feel right. I felt "out of place." I called up one of my friends late at night telling her I just had an epiphany--that I've outgrown the whole bar scene. I realized I had gained weight from my previous employer and living their lifestyle and culture and saw going to bars as pointless.

Fast forward a few months and I had another epiphany. I decided to calculate how much I spend alone going out to eat for lunch at work and what not. I calculated it and it came close to $170 dollars. When I saw that, I said this...

"At that rate, I can afford to make monthly payments on another bike!"

It was that moment that I realized that I can live my dream. Now it was a matter of what bike to get next. I pondered for months ALL bikes that were out there. I was looking for somethign I can commute on and still do twistys. Not another sport bike, but something that can handle like one. I also wanted a comfortable bike, one that fits into the $170/month price range. My thought process for bikes was very long that I would rather not type out. Long story short...As time passed, I was more confused than ever...

It wasn't until I saw the movie "The Wild One" where I finally found out what bike I wanted to get. It was a Bonneville. I then saw the movie "The Great Escape" and that furthered my desire for one. I wanted the same attention I get when I ride the 675. I knew that I would get the same (and later to find out...more) attention as the 675. It had "the look" that would turn heads..even mine. And after going on forums like T-RAT and asking others their thoughts about a Bonnie...it just furthered my desire

I ran loan calculations and sure enough, it was within that price range. Then it was a matter of color. I came close to getting a T-100, but wanted to take advantage of the 3.99% rate Triumph had. I almost settled on a 2008 Bonneville Black until I found the dealership "hiding" a couple of 2007s. I first asked the manager of the store and he said he didn't have any. I then told the salesguy can we go back and look at the Bonnie Black. (Because closeby is where I spotted the 2 2007s). I get there and walk straight to them. I verified them by looking at the VINs. The salesguy kinda winces like I caught him and his manager in a lie. I told him I want the silver one. As I am awaiting approval on the loan, I keep staring at the Goodwood Green one. Just as I was about to sign on the Due Bill and price agreement. I tell the salesguy that I changed my mind and want the Goodwood Green one.

A year and 14,000 miles later, I have the biggest grin going to work, the biggest grin sparking my peg sensors when I hit twistys on the way home from work, and get attention and admiration ad naseaum everywhere I go. :headbang2:

FrankieD

Scooter
I bought a Bonneville cause the Harley dealer was closed! :hung:

:eeek: Completely joking!!! :) The Bonnie exudes class, is easy to maintain, comfortable, and is almost as easy on the eyes as BonnieLass...almost.