Whats the disadvantage to an airbox removal kit?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
It helps...

I just made the appointment to have my EFI remapped for the pods next saturday.

So sunday ill have a full report how the PODS handle on an EFI thruxton.
Ryan,
I too have an efi bonnie but have kept the airbox however removed the baffle based upon Pieman's dyno testing. To me the decision to go with pods after figuring out how to hold up the throttle bodies and attach the fuse box and ancillaries comes down to noise. You can purchase covers that breath that slip over the pods for rain protection but many run without these in ocassional rain without issue. You will gain a bit of horsepower especially with free flowing pipes but to me the sound suppression is why I like the airbox...plus no tear up as I prefer to hear more of the pipes. If you run dominators, preds, sleepers etc, now the sound of pods is less of an issue because the pipes now drown out more of the intake roar. Pods have been added to a few EFI bikes now without incident. I look forward to your findings.

Last edited:

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
For me, the horse power is only half the reason I want to run the pods... It's the look! Having those massive filters is awesome. The next step is to get airtech side covers and modify them to show off a little hint of the filters.

Plus, running pods on a 'cafe racer' makes more sense than airbox in terms of tradition.

ivar

TT Racer
I wonder what kind of helmet you ride? Not for me.

Old one was a Bieffe, the new one is a KBC VR-1. For shorter rides, I don't always bother with earplugs, but cruising the highways at 70mph, I won't ride without earplugs.

Also. the the Dart flyscreen which relieves me for quite some windblast, also redirects more air to my neck/throat area.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I see...you were speaking of highway riding. Yeah...wind noise is pretty severe at highway speeds likely no matter what helmet we ride. I have resisted getting a dart screen because I rode a bike with one and didn't think redirecting the air off my chest and toward my head as you say was a good tradeoff. Another personal preference thing I guess.
My view on these great bikes is, they aren't the best for highway cruising unless a bigger screen is added and I can't bring myself to add a big screen to my bonnie.
Cheers.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
It helps...

I just made the appointment to have my EFI remapped for the pods next saturday.

So sunday ill have a full report how the PODS handle on an EFI thruxton.

Hey Ryan

What's the prognosis? I have a 2010 Thrux, so your bleeding edge research and pain...is my gain :)

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Air box was removed 2 months ago - and its FUCKING AWESOME.

Only positive things to say, more power more torque. Very noticeable difference.

Im sure the 'Arrow 2into2' exhaust map has a lot to do with it too.

But I'm happy, my bike is still as relyable as it was with the air box.

Except now I can start in 25 degree coldness super easier and i have MUCH better throttle response on the highway.

To recap i have:

09 Thruxton - StainTune Cans - Stock headers - Arrow 2into2 map - British Customs air jet removal kit - British Customs air box removal kit - K&N Filters.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Side note on the noise: I probably have a shitty helmet... I DO notice the air sucking sound, but it doesn't bother me.

I have a Nolan Helmet and a Fulmer v2. The fulmer is louder.

Kingmoham

Scooter
So, what's the down side?

Air box was removed 2 months ago - and its FUCKING AWESOME.

Only positive things to say, more power more torque. Very noticeable difference.

Im sure the 'Arrow 2into2' exhaust map has a lot to do with it too.

But I'm happy, my bike is still as relyable as it was with the air box.

Except now I can start in 25 degree coldness super easier and i have MUCH better throttle response on the highway.

To recap i have:

09 Thruxton - StainTune Cans - Stock headers - Arrow 2into2 map - British Customs air jet removal kit - British Customs air box removal kit - K&N Filters.

Assuming you bought the 09 Thrux at something close to the MSRP $8599.00 for the bike. Take the typical 'off the lot' depreciation of 25% ($2149.00), and then add the removal of your airbox modification, and now your one year old bike is worth a little more than half of what it was sold for new.

Pretty expensive mod when the math is played out in the real world. Something to think about.....

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Kingmoham: Yeah! This is 100% factual and true.

But I don't plan to sell my bike - ever! It's a money pit and also a friend. I imagine ill keep this Thruxton going till the engine blows up.

I also did not list the other cosmetic stuff - Light kit, Normal hyde bars, mirrors, ect, ect.

:( best to not dwell on the math.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
thanks for the scoop Ryan. Im thinking the best bet (bang for the buck) without comprimising any warranty is an exhaust upgrade and the moment the warranty is up I will do the airbox removal.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
thanks for the scoop Ryan. Im thinking the best bet (bang for the buck) without comprimising any warranty is an exhaust upgrade and the moment the warranty is up I will do the airbox removal.

Make sure you also get the correct MAP or JET to maximize what ever exhaust option you purchase.

I looked at my Exhaust upgrade as just a sound upgrade, I just needed to be able to hear my own engine. The StainTunes are perfect for that! And don't require a map or jet from stock.

whyme

TT Racer
So how much noise am I in for with the ARK?? Will they overpower my TORS? I don't mind the intake noise but I like hearing the exhaust.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
So how much noise am I in for with the ARK?? Will they overpower my TORS? I don't mind the intake noise but I like hearing the exhaust.

I think the Tors and Staintuns are on similir levels of sound.

and you will always be able to hear the engine over the intake sound. I only really notice the intake when on the freeway. I tend to tune it out unless I look for it... UNLESS you going open throttle to pass a bigrig or something... then its all like 'SHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' untill you get back off the throttle.

But that just reminds me of how restricting the air box was.

whyme

TT Racer
Ok thanks Ryan!! I really don't like hearing the sewing machine sound so this may be good. In a couple of weeks I'm going to tackle the BC ABK....and THEN I'm done spending money on it. (that's what I tell my wife...and myself)

Last edited:

pandak1

moped
Hi Folks, I've got a 2008 thrux w staintunes and K&N filter, pulled the snorkel, 125 mains, 40 pilots and 3 turns on the idle - Very happy with everything over about 3000rpm but she feels wooly and rich below that for city running. Am thinking about the NewBonneville NARK and was wondering how it affects the bottom end. Additionally, how hard is it to pull the factory airbox - is there a step by step anywhere - I dont want to cut it up until I'm postive the pods are for me.
Cheers
Andy

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Pretty expensive mod when the math is played out in the real world. Something to think about.....

Spoken like a Realtor, who always casts improvements folks do at home in terms of value to the next guy. Not once in my life have I bought carpet, painted a room, added a tile floor or screen porch or remodeled a kitchen or bathroom for the "next guy" to live in my house. Ditto my mods. If you're buying a bike with some expectation of selling it back to get your money back, you're confused, and you're only renting the bike, and you should NEVER buy new.

On the other hand, if you know you want to keep your bike, do what you want. I sanded the chrome off the headers and mufflers of my brand new Bonnie like 3 weeks after it came home and started in with the mods. Resale value never entered my mind.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I certainly hope you weren't implying that I am pond scum?

Of course not! Heck, I don't even know ya! Just commenting on your post (which seems to have been deleted) concerning potential impact on future resale value of mods like the airbox removal. Your argument about the pricy-ness of that mod sort of suggested that somehow the OP wasn't going to incur that new bike depreciation if they left the airbox intact, which of course isn't the case.