What´s your profession?

I also spent a couple of weeks working over in BHP Port Kembla Works.

How long ago were you at Port Kembla? I did my apprenticeship with them, that was a 4 year block, left and went back for a while before moving into motorcycle shops. Years later I went back to BHP Stainless, we rolled high quality mirror finish stuff, Z mills and skin pass work. I live in the northern end of the coastal strip, left side of this photo, about 25 min ride to Port Kembla at top of photo.

Illawarra02.jpg

bonZa

Street Tracker
Yeah, that's an old one. An ex Bethlehem Steel mill, one of the oldest, I think it dates from the mid 19th century, at least from the old lithos I've seen in their offices. All the structural work in that building is riveted.

I've done some work for the old Smorgon Steel, you must be part of that group. I also spent a couple of weeks working over in BHP Port Kembla Works.

nah, not smorgons. I work for BHP now Bluescopesteel and have spent a lot of time at the Port Kembla steel works, but am located at the Western Port Works in Victoria. would post up some mill photos but they are a bit funny about that, so better not. big Yankee mill built in 1978.

Skeeter

Rocker
the town of Bethlehem has some neat old buldins and stuff. i ride my scooter up along the del. river and look at the old town. good times

Motley

750cc
How long ago were you at Port Kembla? I did my apprenticeship with them, that was a 4 year block, left and went back for a while before moving into motorcycle shops. Years later I went back to BHP Stainless, we rolled high quality mirror finish stuff, Z mills and skin pass work. I live in the northern end of the coastal strip, left side of this photo, about 25 min ride to Port Kembla at top of photo.

Small world eh? I was at Port Kembla probably about twelve or thirteen years ago. I stayed in Wollongong. I know I have photos that look identical to yours, they must've been taken from the same place. Good times.

Motley

750cc
............would post up some mill photos but they are a bit funny about that, so better not..................

Strange that, it's not like we don't know what the inside of a mill looks like. I've been to many mills and they all like to think they're unique but there's only so many ways to skin a cat.

Motley

750cc
the town of Bethlehem has some neat old buldins and stuff. i ride my scooter up along the del. river and look at the old town. good times

I was looking at some equipment, in that mill in Bethlehem, after the place was shut down. It was eerie, kinda like a ghost town.

bonZa

Street Tracker
Strange that, it's not like we don't know what the inside of a mill looks like. I've been to many mills and they all like to think they're unique but there's only so many ways to skin a cat.
more to do when millions is spent on new equipment and technology that gives them a slight edge over every one else. a lot of that stuff is difficult to get working right and they dont like to give away the knowhow freely without something in return

was at a HSM in Japan and they covered some of the "special" grade coils with tarpaulins so we couldnt have a sticky beak at them. a few tipples of saki got them around though

oh yeah, Otherwise. use to hot roll that stainless that you ended up cold rolling. a fair bastard to roll, would often cobble and wreck things like you wouldnt believe. eventually got it down pat and then the bigwigs decided to sell the technology to the Asians to roll instead

Skeeter

Rocker
I was looking at some equipment, in that mill in Bethlehem, after the place was shut down. It was eerie, kinda like a ghost town.

thats what im in to, old eerie abandoned biuldins that helped run the world and stand in thekm and imagine what it was like back then

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I went to college in Bethlehem in the early 60s when Bethlehem Steel was going full speed ahead. Would wake you up when the did something to a furnace which would make it roar like all hell. Interesting, but depressing place.

Motley

750cc
thats what im in to, old eerie abandoned biuldins that helped run the world and stand in thekm and imagine what it was like back then

You'd love old steel mills then, there are lots of 'em around but I doubt you'd get in to look around.

Motley

750cc
I went to college in Bethlehem in the early 60s when Bethlehem Steel was going full speed ahead. Would wake you up when the did something to a furnace which would make it roar like all hell. Interesting, but depressing place.

I can only imagine what that place must've looked like in it's heyday.

koifarm

Hooligan
There are a huge number of old abandoned foundries along the southern tip of lake Michigan, near Gary Indiana....it's sad to see the decline of the steel industry and I think it's mostly due to a shift to the orient, we send em all our scrap and buy back steel. Personally I wouldn't buy one speck of chinese steel(or anything else chinese) if I could help it....piss poor quality....

Skeeter

Rocker
below bethlehem is an abandonded paper mill i go to evey time and again but last time while i was there in the bike a start trooper found me and gave me some crap so i dont go back

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
Rub it in, why don't you?

Hey otherwise, what exactly are the essential obligations/responsibilities of a retired person?

Is it me, or does it seem like a lot of us really don't care for our jobs anymore?

I was laid off 3 times in the last 2 years. I'm damn glad to have a job, any job, that can pay my bills, keep food on the table, beer in the fridge, and a Bonnie in the garage. I'm glad you can afford to be so complacent.