What´s your profession?

Skeeter

Rocker
im a sheetmetal hanger aka work in a body shop, and 3 nights a week i wait tables at a local crapplebees...

pepper

Street Tracker
I currently do machine design but I'd rather be a donut maker...

Over the past 30+ years I've made a living as a fighter jet maintainer, motorcycle shop owner, real estate peddler and salaried engineer.

Motley

750cc
I'm a "Roll Pass Designer". I figure out how steel rolling mills roll billets into beams, angles, channels, railroad track, etc.

This mill is rolling railroad track.
steelton8g.jpg

steelton29g.jpg

Motley

750cc
Bet ya that the place is noisy as well.....

It can be noisey and everyone wears ear protection but it's a very dangerous place. Now and then they lose control of that hot bar and it goes snaking across the mill. Imagine being chased down by a 2000 degree F snake moving at 2500 feet per minute. :eek:

koifarm

Hooligan
Watch out!

It can be noisey and everyone wears ear protection but it's a very dangerous place. Now and then they lose control of that hot bar and it goes snaking across the mill. Imagine being chased down by a 2000 degree F snake moving at 2500 feet per minute. :eek:

:popcorn:

I take it that it's a rolling mill?

bonZa

Street Tracker
looks like an old mill Motley. is it part of Stelco

I'm a hot stip mill engineer. can relate to all of that stuff

Gretsch

Rocker
I'm a "Roll Pass Designer". I figure out how steel rolling mills roll billets into beams, angles, channels, railroad track, etc.

This mill is rolling railroad track.
steelton8g.jpg

steelton29g.jpg

I'm reading "Atlas Shrugged" right now and that really reminds me of the book.

Motley

750cc
looks like an old mill Motley. is it part of Stelco

I'm a hot stip mill engineer. can relate to all of that stuff

Yeah, that's an old one. An ex Bethlehem Steel mill, one of the oldest, I think it dates from the mid 19th century, at least from the old lithos I've seen in their offices. All the structural work in that building is riveted.

I've done some work for the old Smorgon Steel, you must be part of that group. I also spent a couple of weeks working over in BHP Port Kembla Works.