valve adjustment

Feeler gauge

I found the "go-no go" type in inch dimensions to be the most useful for this job. The metric equivalents are printed on the blades, so there's no conversion problem. Poke it in, if the thin part goes and the thick part doesn't, figure the clearance is halfway between.

Interestingly, the five of mine that were out of spec were all too loose.

ivar

TT Racer
Dove into the valve clearance check tonight. Turns out they're all too tight - and that I need more tools.
- an extra set of feeler gauges. my set lacked the most important thicknesses.

Well, D'oh!
Found out why my valves all seemed so tight - and why some feeler blades were missing.
- Turned out the .10mm and .15 blades were stuck together good , lol!

So, did a new measurement last night. Now found 1 ex. valve that was tight , and 2 intake valves that were ever so slightly over spec at .20

(specs in metric are intake: .15 - .20mm , exhaust = .25-.30)

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Oye I'm dreading doing this to mine. Last time i took it to the shop and only 2 valves were a little tight. Speaking of, anyone have a good cheap source for the gaskets?

samc

Scooter
Oye I'm dreading doing this to mine. Last time i took it to the shop and only 2 valves were a little tight. Speaking of, anyone have a good cheap source for the gaskets?

interestingly, my local dealer only charged $2 more than Bike Bandit for the cover gasket. There's a good chance your gasket is OK anyway.

ivar

TT Racer
now have pulled the intake cam + 2 intake shims. There's markings on the shims but I'm not able to decipher them. Measured with calipers and found them to be 2.85 and 2.90, will take them to a shop tomorrow and get the measurements verified with a micrometer.

Also, the lock pin I made did not work 100%, the lash gear did move 1/2 tooth. I guess it'll be interesting to get back on :D

ivar

TT Racer
Had my measurements verified with a good micrometer, and my vernier caliper measurements were spot on! Good to know.

tribear

Street Tracker
Do you have her wrapped up ivar? I had the same 1/2 a tooth issue with the crappy pins I used. I'll figure a better pin set up for the next inspection/adjustment. Ended up locking on to the pins with needle nose visegrips and levering the pin to realign the teeth during reassembly.

ivar

TT Racer
Haven't got to order the shims yet.
Tried aligning the teeth with a screwdriver, looks like it'll work out