Super moto bikes?

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Anyone had any experience on one? The look pretty fun and nimble. The new Husqvarna sm610 or te610 (more dual sport) and Aprilias svx can hold their own at interstate speeds comfortably too. I've been looking at maybe picking up a street legal dirtbike next.. but these are basically juiced up dirtbikes with street wheels and tires.

neuroboy

750cc
don't forget KTM. Their SMR looks like a winner and can probably handle highways better than both the Husky and Aprillia.

I've never ridden a supermoto, but I heard they're a blast in town.

utah1

Scooter
Get one

This was mine, absolutely way more fun than you should ever have with your pants on. Just cracking the throttle on that beast would make women faint and children cry blocks away.

589658938_p8GTF-L.jpg

Save for kick starting the pig at the office and the quasi legal nature of the light system I'd still have her today. Everyone should own at least one supermoto in their lifetime!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Utah - XR650L? I've Looked at them too. They have extremely reliable reviews and I like that they're still carb'd. Easier for me to work on. Did you put the street wheels on? They are the largest cc and I was thinking a better and more stylish lighting system and perhaps some paint could really liven it up.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
the Aprilia is tits. maintenance on all SM bikes is more intensive however

Even the simpler models like the Honda - Carb'd / air cooled? I could see it on all of the euro bikes. Most of them are pretty tricked out for single cylinder machines (aside from the aprillia it is 2) with with efi and liquid cooled.. the works.

utah1

Scooter
It's the XR650R, as far as maintenance on her I changed the oil and lubed the chain every couple thousand miles. The Honda's are nearly bulletproof and over the years many have been driven right off the showroom floor straight into the Baja 1000. Trust me in the canyons and twisties there is no other bike I have ever ridden that was more fun.

321003750_HDWeu-L.jpg

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Even the simpler models like the Honda - Carb'd / air cooled? I could see it on all of the euro bikes. Most of them are pretty tricked out for single cylinder machines (aside from the aprillia it is 2) with with efi and liquid cooled.. the works.

yes. they are essentially dirt bike motors. top end adjustments and rebuilds are much more frequent. we've got a super moto class that runs at our track days here and i have friends that own, hondas, suzukis, ktms, ducatis, yamahas, aprilias, ad even huskys. they ALL require more maintenance. the Suzuki is the one that requires the least, it's also the slowest.

Now you guys too? I come here trying to take my mind off SUMO. Everywhere I go, I see SUMO bikes. :) I want one so damn bad! I know the DRZ400SM isn't very powerful, but it seems to be one of the more reliable bikes out there. I'd love a CRF450R, but I hear you have to change the oil after practically every ride. Valve adjustments are constant too.

There aren't any Husky dealers around here or I'd get a 510SMR. I still might since they have about the same power as a stock Bonneville, but weigh 260lbs. Are you kidding me? That would be a blast!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
In Louisiana I have to deal with limited dealers as well.. The only Triumph dealer we have is in New Orleans. But the internet is such a great resource and there are so many cool guys with a ton of knowledge willing to help out (most know more than the mechanics at the dealers!).. so it isn't as big of a concern to me.

AceT100

Rocker
I test rode a KTM Duke II a while back....and decided that I really liked my license.... :nono:

Waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy more fun than should be legal.... :pd2:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Utah, how much did you drop on the supermoto wheels? Curious to see if that route would save some $$ because I'd prefer the bigger bike and the xr650r is quicker than the L model.

Im thinking my next bike to add to the stable would be a SUMO....moreso because there are a couple cart tracks and to be able to do cheap trackdays. Only $40 for the day.

utah1

Scooter
Plan on $800-1000 for a nice SM wheel and rubber kit, add $400 more if you want big brakes up front. If you are tracking it brakes are nice but for street the stockers fine. And yes the license issue could be a big problem as the bike would wheelie at will in any gear 1-5 and really liked to take curves at speeds a bit above the posted limits!

589659757_TmuZn-L.jpg

Savantjk

Street Tracker
So would you recommend going with the xr650l since it's built more for street than the R and just wake it up a little? I've seen guys touring the country on the L and I'd like to keep some distance trips on it. I have family in North GA and some good riding around there that I'd love to take it on. Or would you go with the R regardless?

nohawk

Rocker
That BRP is sweet utah1!

Jeramy I think you need the 650l though. The 650r might be a bitch to get legal in LA. I have friends with both, and the 650r is sooo much faster. His 650 is titled and registered from Arizona where its not hard to get legal.

My friend Kris has a 650l motard thats pretty tricked out and its much more maintaince friendly, easy valve adjustments and 3000 mile oil changes etc.. He can ride too. We ride dirt together pretty often and shows me up every time on his 426 Yamaha. The 650l can hustle too, check this out http://motocross.transworld.net/1000072031/videos/texas-grudge-match/

Tedesco is a badass!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
We'll see.. There are some R's legal in La already.. I'd prob just pick one that's tagged up. But I do like the maintenance of the L. My money may be nonexistent pretty soon though! I've been debating getting a classic car (either a 67-68 cougar, or a 65-68 mustang fastback or 68-69 mustang coupe). There is a 66 fastback with a 302 that I've been seeing while traveling down south that's calling my name. Throw a T5 transmission in there and have a sweet little daily driver. My buddy has a 68 coupe that he's pushing 26mpg with and he's only got a 4 speed in it.