Lithium Batteries

Skidmark

Scooter
Anyone used anything like this before? I was going to place my battery in the seat hump of the Thruxton but this looks small enough to lose under the seat without modification.
I have 'lost' my airbox and have a small battery box mounted between the shock top mounts but I want to get rid of everything under the seat for that big daylight look.

https://www.harris-performance.com/...um_Motorcycle_Batteries.html#aRACINGBATTERIES

Attachments

• RACEBATT.jpg
    RACEBATT.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0

rodburner

Rocker
Not the ones pictured,but the same type and technology.More CCA's than stock and 6lbs lighter.
Picture287.jpg

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Batteries in a down tube

Rodburner,

You don't suppose you could fabricate a way to place those A123 batteries in the frame's downtubes? Now that would be slick!!

The only problem I can foresee with using the A123's is replacing them if/when you get stranded out on the road. It's easy to find a replacement for the standard battery, maybe not so much for the A123s.

Link to related thread.

Last edited:

northcountry

Two Stroke
turntech

I've had the 5 amp turntech lith ion battery for a year on my bonne and no problems. Good reviews on thumpertalk, husabergdotorg etc..

Skidmark

Scooter
Crank load

Anyone know what the crank loads are of a standard thruxton?

From the manufacturer:-
"RB120___ 99mm x 114mm x 29mm Weight is 499 Grams
RB150___ 99mm x 114mm x 29mm Weight is 499 Grams
RB240___ 99mm x 114mm x 59mm Weight is 964 Grams
RB300___ 99mm x 114mm x 59mm Weight is 964 Grams

The first three numbers Advise the cold cranking amps produced."

Thanks
Skiddy

ggRAT

Street Tracker
bdavanza, thanks for posting. I will have to check out that lightweight battery at the next Cycle World show in Greenville. Although it's lighter, it isn't smaller than stock, is it?

bdavanza

Street Tracker
skidmark:
The Triumph manual calls for a 12v 10 amp hour battery, but does not list CCA. For the Harris batteries I think that 150 is going to be the minimum but I would want the next step up, although it's a big step. Most of the sealed AGM batteries are claiming 180 cca in the stock size. I am planning to buy the 210 cca Shorai battery, as I tend to have a GPS plugged in and I'm prone to leaving the key on by mistake.
Something like this http://www.newbonneville.com/html/headlight_control_module.html could allow you to use a lesser battery, or a headlight override switch.

Skidmark

Scooter
bdavanza
Thanks for the advice, and the details of that headlamp widget, a solution to a problem I didn't realise existed.
I have ordered the 150. Lets see how I go, I live at the top of a hill so I can always bump start it.
The smaller size will fit under the seat so it saves me cutting up my seat.
Skiddy

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I'm really interested in this battery and in the "daylight look' under the seat. if you could post a report and some pictures, it would be appreciated.

rodburner

Rocker
Rodburner,

The only problem I can foresee with using the A123's is replacing them if/when you get stranded out on the road. It's easy to find a replacement for the standard battery, maybe not so much for the A123s.

It really shouldn't be a problem that I can foresee. Each "cell" is rated at 3.3v,so each set of 4 gives you your nominal 12v.The second set is wired in parallel,giving you 240cca,as opposed to a single sets 120cca or a triple of 360cca etc.If a cell went bad,you would still have your 12v,just slightly less cca to get you home. Sorry for not replying a little sooner.
Oh,and I got my pack from RadicalRC's in Iowa. I don't think you can get much more out on the road than that.LOL

Last edited:

Skidmark

Scooter
Daylight

Sal these are what she looks like at the moment I have a small box between the shocks that has the standard battery in it and a slightly smaller box in front that holds the rest of the electrical gubbins.
The box was cut from an aluminium street sign and folded and pop riveted then plastic coated (wrapped in black duct tape).

Its only a work in progress and will be binned once I find a smaller battery.
Harris performance confirmed that 180 cranking amps is what I actually need and the 150 will be too small. So I have ordered the 240, which is a big jump in weight and size.
OnOn Skiddy

Attachments

• thrux side2.jpg
    thrux side2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • Thrux left1.jpg
    Thrux left1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0

Skidmark

Scooter
Sorry took a while to get the pictures taken. Its not pretty but has been trouble free for the last 3 months.

Skiddy

Attachments

• spagetti.jpg
    spagetti.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0