straight razors..

hankmarx

750cc
I was there for Celia. Woah.

I bought a Straight Razor, a badger brush, and a strop a few years back. I did get 3 or 4 awesome shaves before I put a dimple in my left ear. I use the soap and brush every day, would not go back to the foam in a can. Modern razor for me now tho.

LoVel

Two Stroke
I like the super cheap disposable razors and use them until it hurts. Since I am only shaving around my beard and only do that 1 or 2 times a week they last a good little while.

Drying the razor is a good idea. They get rusty before they get dull.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I've actually thought about going to a straight razor for a while, might have to finally do it after reading this thread.

A straight razor is out of the question for me as my hands shake like a dog sh*tting razorblades. I'd probably cut my head off if I tried to shave with one.

bonZa

Street Tracker
I was given straight razor, we call them "cut throat razors" for my birthday, its a Sollingen from Germany, good quality and gives a good smooth shave. takes a bit to get used to as there is a tecnique to using and sharpening it. luckily an old time barber showed me how to keep it sharp and keen

phohot

moped
I'm using one, enjoy the morning ritual. And it's a damn good shave. What blades are you using? I purchased a "sample" pack of 25 and can't really find a bad one, some are better than others but I don't remember which ones ! :/

tried the sample pack myself, then I tried Feathers, and now that's all I use. I have a coarse, tough beard, so the extra sharpness helped.

simpson

TT Racer
I use cheap dual-blade disposables...and I use them for a long time.

The secret is to keep the blades dry between shaves.

-simpson

cynr1023

TT Racer
TT, I spent 3 years with the 3rd ID as a Platoon Sergeant. I'm stationed back at Fort Hood, but don't ask me what I do, because I don't fuckin' know yet, and no one can tell me.

T

ttbonnie

TT, I spent 3 years with the 3rd ID as a Platoon Sergeant. I'm stationed back at Fort Hood, but don't ask me what I do, because I don't fuckin' know yet, and no one can tell me.

lol ..yeah huah..
test ride your bike...alot

LA_Geezer

Scooter
A straight razor may be great for the macho, nostalgic effect, but it is my understanding that even the best of them don't offer as close a shave as a modern, high-quality multi-blade cartridge razor. I use all the best stuff (oils, creams, silver-tip badger brush, etc.) but my razor is a battery powered Gillette Fusion ProGlide.

The downside is the rip-off that razor cartridges have become. Those suckers cost $3-$4 EACH! Definitely not a deal. I might give the straight razor (knife style) or double edge classic razor another try out of protest.

You are right about the rip-off prices of those new cartridge style razors, not sure about the closer shave though. I stopped using them about 4 years ago and returned to an old-fashioned double-edged Merkur German razor. I buy razor blades in bulk off ebay; the last batch ended up costing me less than 8¢ each including shipping. At that price I can afford to change blades once a week for the next 16.5 years before I need to replenish my current supply.

This is a great forum for those who have an interest in shaving paraphernalia.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/

Beachfinn

Scooter
Straight for me, mainly Dovo Astrale. I hone my own, since i have the stones etc for my Japanese cutlery. I use to get a shit load of razor bumbs on my neck from using canned aftershave and Gillette uber mach whatevers. With a straight i can get atleast as close of a shave, but take it easy with the grain on the neck. If i'm in a rush i have couple safety razors.

Both great forums:
http://straightrazorplace.com/forum.php
http://badgerandblade.com/

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Hmmmm....

Two Questions for you guys using straight razors:
1) Do you use it every day? I was thinking of getting one for weekends (or when I've got some time to "pamper" myself during the week.
2) What would be a good "set" to start out with if I wanted to "Try" a straight razor?

Thanks for the info.

Doug

Beachfinn

Scooter
I'm about as blonde as Finish people come so i only shave every 2-3 days. Straight all the way. If i'm on the road and working long days i opt for safety razor.

As for a best bang:
http://www.whippeddog.com/straightrazors/view/sight-unseen-deal
the guys is a proper honemeister, so the stuff he ships is wicked sharp (new razors are not really considered shave ready out of the box). you'll get a nice restored daily shaver with not whole hell of a lot out of pocket.

Trust me, you want a sharp decent blade :D