straight razors..

T

ttbonnie

any one else here shave with em?? I just started to do so.. it is the best damn thing ive done for myself in a long time.. truly bad ass experience!
cheers tt..

phohot

moped
I'm a traditional wetshaver myself. Nice badger brush and a good quality soap/cream with hotwater. I use vintage Gillette DE razor. One of the best decisions I ever made for my face.

Gillette_I4_1963_Slim_adjustable_in.jpg

cynr1023

TT Racer
I'm using one, enjoy the morning ritual. And it's a damn good shave. What blades are you using? I purchased a "sample" pack of 25 and can't really find a bad one, some are better than others but I don't remember which ones ! :/

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
You should head down in Little Italy and have it down the old fashioned way with the steam towels and whole nine yards. You'll pass out right in the chair.

T

ttbonnie

i bought a thiers issard straight razor.. and shave both face and head with it.. not a "i gotta be at work in 10 min" thing to shave with, but damn i swear my balls grew a lil bit, on my first shave.. at least the left one lol..

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
i bought a thiers issard straight razor.. and shave both face and head with it.. not a "i gotta be at work in 10 min" thing to shave with, but damn i swear my balls grew a lil bit, on my first shave.. at least the left one lol..

You said shave and balls in the same sentence. I think that's a whole 'nother thread. NO PICS PLEASE

KingBear

Hooligan
A straight razor may be great for the macho, nostalgic effect, but it is my understanding that even the best of them don't offer as close a shave as a modern, high-quality multi-blade cartridge razor. I use all the best stuff (oils, creams, silver-tip badger brush, etc.) but my razor is a battery powered Gillette Fusion ProGlide.

The downside is the rip-off that razor cartridges have become. Those suckers cost $3-$4 EACH! Definitely not a deal. I might give the straight razor (knife style) or double edge classic razor another try out of protest.

loxpump

Rocker
I save money by shaving once a week whether I need it or not.

I think this is a safety razor,
800px-Merkur_heavy_duty_safety_razor.jpg

and this is a straight razor. I wouldn't trust myself with one of these.
wb4.jpg

ivar

TT Racer
what buggers me most is the way Gillette constantly "reinvents" the blades and handles to make sure that they are alll incompatible from the previous incarnations. So you can't use new blades with old handles etc but rather have to buy the whole kit - again and again.

I also hate how these new multi-blade setups constantly needs to be flushed out to get rid of the hair

So, I have a beard , that I trim down with a Panasonic trimmer. And if I want to get it all off, I've got a couple new Gillette Blue disposables at hand.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I remember the Saturday Night Live skit back in the Akroyd/Belushi days where they comically touted the five blade razor where the 1st one pulls your whiskers so the 2nd one can pull out further so the 3rd one pulls out....... etc. etc. It was a parody on the new disposable Good News razors.

Little did SNL know that the were actually futurists.... or maybe the comedy writer for the skit became a Gilette executive.

strokerlmt

I said fuck Gillette years ago. I also got pissed off when the reinvented and you had to buy a whole new rig. Then the refills cost more than the national debt. Safety razor, get the Wilkinson blades last foreverrrrrrrr.
LMT

T

ttbonnie

A straight razor may be great for the macho, nostalgic effect, but it is my understanding that even the best of them don't offer as close a shave as a modern, high-quality multi-blade cartridge razor. I use all the best stuff (oils, creams, silver-tip badger brush, etc.) but my razor is a battery powered Gillette Fusion ProGlide.

The downside is the rip-off that razor cartridges have become. Those suckers cost $3-$4 EACH! Definitely not a deal. I might give the straight razor (knife style) or double edge classic razor another try out of protest.

Ive read you have to get your beard used to it.. agreed the fusions make short work of shaving, however I've gotten as close with several passes. Also starting out you should go with the grain, eventually when technique is down you can start going against the grain . Allum bar is a must, however I haven't kicked my self yet. Another tip is to get the razor professionally honed when purchaced even though they are supposed to be shave ready, they aren't .. I shave both my head and face , and should own stock in gielette, and like you I am a little tired of spending $$$ on blades.
Cheers tt..

Last edited:

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Don't pay to get any tool honed. Buy a 1000 grit and 12000 grit water stones and get a strop and compound to be master of your own sharpening destiny.

DandyDoug

750cc
Since retirement i have started to become a cheap SOB !

I have been using a cartridge type razor for several years and the cost has gotten out of hand.

Saw a piece on HLN one day by the ultimate cheap bastitch Clark Howard.
He was given a cartridge type razor to try and wondered how long he could use a single cartridge. He dries the unit after every shave and claimed some huge long time of reuse.

I started drying mine after that and can get several weeks out of one cartridge.

I wear a beard , but like to keep my face somewhat shaved. Now i shave every two or three days YMMV.