Somebody stop me!

cynr1023

TT Racer
I know, but that's the sign that some guy put over my work table when I was doing services on the 25mm chain guns when i was in iraq

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
"I have a 1800 Goldwing in the garage, with ABS, XM radio, GPS, and expansive waterproof luggage;"

Thats sounds nice. If you don't take it on trips like this, you should sell it.

I have been commuting on my Bonny 70 miles round trip each day. Its not the most comfortable bike.

I would take the GW

tribear

Street Tracker
take the Bonnie. you'll question yourself all summer long if not for the next few years, "could i have? should i have? wish i did...". deal with a few less creature comforts and revel in the excitement and adventure of not knowing and making it work. i ride my Bonnie and Scram all over the country and the fact that it is a minimalist approach is rewarding in itself. remedy: take a few extra breaks/stops to walk around a bit. you'll be glad in hind sight you took the Bonnie IMO.
either way, enjoy the ride!!! should be a beauty.:cheers:

DIRK

750cc
i have a friend now in her 80's, who after leaving the peace corp, bought a vespa in new york and rode 2up to california. still talks about it once in a while. so what is your excuse? just get on and go!

KingBear

Hooligan
The seat of a Vespa is about thirty times more comfortable than a Bonneville. Besides, she was probably stopping every twenty minutes to go potty.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
First of all, thanks to all. Pls don't anyone misunderstand as whining. I am fortunate to have more than one bike, and now that I have kids I'm done buying for a while. I had a deal with the (very understanding) wife that once a bike was paid off, I could get another. If I wanted one before that, I had to sell something to get it. So once the GW was paid for, I got a SuperHawk, then once that was paid off, it was Bonnie time. My next bike, in a year or two, will prob be a PW50 for my son, if I'm lucky!

So as is usually the case, the new toy gets the most use. The GW is now 8 yrs old, and with the exception of having a few squeaks and rattles over the years, is as good as ever. But the Bonnie is the "new" bike, and the closest in philosopy to my first bike, a Honda CB350 standard.

I wouldn't dream of riding the SuperHawk on this trip, I wouldn't make it to the state line. But since the Triumph gives a little more flexability in seating position it shouldn't be as bad, and a benefit is that when it's really warm the Bonnie will be more comfortable than the wing, which because of it's windshield and full fairing can get really hot.

I think I may spend a few hrs on it Monday morning and see how I feel. Just gonna jump on the superslab and empty the tank, then re-evaluate. The only thing I'm planning to add is a cramp-buster.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
OK-did about 160 miles yesterday, to Flagler Bch. Learned a few things, in no particular order:
The speedo is off by less than 5% according to my GPS, not too bad. An indicated 70 MPH was more like 67.
I ran out of time before I ran out of gas, but when I refilled after 91 miles, it took only 2.10 gallons, for a 43.3 MPG average-not too bad. I rode with a friend on a '01 790 T100, who took only 1.84 gallons to do the same exact distance, so mine may still improve with age.
The seat isn't too bad. There was the usual squirming after an hour or so at sustained freeway riding, but a few minutes off, and I was ready to go again.
But in the end, I have decided I'm taking the GW. It's really the wind. By the time I got back to the house, my neck and shoulders were sore from fighting the wind, and that was only 1/4 of what I'll do in one day on the trip. So that's it, it's done. To all of you who said to use the right tool for the job, despite the fact I was looking forward to riding the Bonnie, you were right.
So to those of you who live in the area, be on the lookout for a bright yellow GW with strips up the middle!

I have to agree with you re wind. Thats why I ended up fitting a small screen. But very dissapointed with you. The poor bon is gonna miss out on its bonding experience :-(

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Yea, I feel kinda bad about that. On the other hand, I have two bikes that have been feeling pretty neglected ever since I got the Bonnie running right a few months ago!

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
2 days slightly uncomfortable, 3 days blitzin the BRP and local roads on the Bonnie. Too bad I loved the T100 up there. I traded my FJR (Yawn)for mine, don't regret it a bit . But enjoy anyhow:ride:

KingBear

Hooligan
Good call, it's the right decision. Keep the roadster on the winding country roads and the touring bike on the highways.