Somebody stop me!

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Ok, I'm counting on all my Bonnie friends to save me from myself. In a few weeks I'm taking a trip with 3 other guys from the Orlando area to upstate SC, near the GA/NC state lines. Should be about 550 miles, mostly interstate. It'll either be hotter than hell or pouring rain. Probably both. We then have 3 days to enjoy the mountains, then we do it all over again to get home.

Now here's the problem. I have a 1800 Goldwing in the garage, with ABS, XM radio, GPS, and expansive waterproof luggage; but for some reason I'm really tempted to take the Bonnie. I guess part of the reason is the other 3 guys are riding cruisers, and two of them have less than a 120 mile range between fill ups. Also, all my other bikes have been to the mountains, whether ridden or towed, and it's sortof a bonding experience for me.

In addition to giving up the mentioned creature comforts, my biggest concern is wind noise (just a small flyscreen) and fatigue from fighting the wind. Also the spokes/tube tire combo worries me a bit just because I haven't toured on tube tires in decades, if ever. And I wonder how much my carb tuning will suffer due to the higher elevations (up to about 6000' from sea level) Of course there are obvious comfort issues, and the lack of dry luggage. The extent of my luggage space will be a tourmaster tank bag and a roll-up dry bag bungeed to the seat rack.

The wife thinks I'm crazy for even thinking it, since I have a "touring" bike ready to go, but since she's not going on this trip, there's really no better time to try it if I decide to.

ricky

Street Tracker
If you still have the stock seat on your bike, I won't stop you either.
You'll turn around and get your GW.
I could barely ride on the stock seat for a full tank. What a POS!!!

I now use a Corbin. Small windshield, full coverage helmet & TOR's.
Life is good.

:cheer:

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
I have the scram solo seat with rack. Haven't really ridden enough on it yet to know if it's an improvement or not. But people on here swear by it.

Iceseven

750cc
Man I would take the Bonnie! I rode through that area on my 95 T-Bird and it is a wonderfull area.

Last year I did a 2000 mile week long trip through the southwest on my Scrambler and loved it. Can't say that my butt wasn't sore but it was bearable, I used to tour on a 1974 Triumph with a Allyn air seat so for me the Scrambler is Cadillac.

As far as elevation goes seal level to 6000' (still plenty of oxy) shouldn't be a problem and wasn't on my T-Bird, I live at and have my bike jetted for 7200' but have had my bike over 12,000' and the bike fealt it but it didn't cause any concern.

I use a Spitfire windscreen and that helped a lot. Maybe a sheepskin seat pad or something like that would help.

Delbert

Two Stroke
If this is an ALL Bonneville style roadtrip, then take the Bonnie as that will bond you better with your friends. Who cares if you get a little wet or hot. That's where the fun is on a roadtrip with motorcycle. Just spray your bags with some fabric spray to help water proof them. Have you thought of wearing a backpack or strapping a backpack to the passenger area of seat? If NOT, then take the GW and enjoy all the creature comforts. Also don't forget to take along a couple bottles of SLIME for motorcycles(12volt airpump) in case of flats. Zip tie the rear spokes before trip to prevent spoke blow-outs(God forbid). Enjoy trip--don't worry what could happen..
GEEZ, I wish I had your problems.
Del

ivar

TT Racer
I can't see no problem at all in taking the Bonnie.
Heck, with the GW and with the others on cruisers, I suspect it may even be a bit boring... (having to ride at a slower pace and stop for fuel every 1230 miles etc)

cynr1023

TT Racer
On the bonnie, I went from central texas to south florida, ~1300 miles. stock seat & no screen, just a tank bag and a fairly hefty back pack. I would recommend a throttle boss or something like that, my wrist was killing me.

Not sure how much fun a GW would be but it definitly wouldn't be as uncomfortable.

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
Here's my two cents:

Different bikes for different kinds of riding. This is why you have the GW, so use it. I would. The Bonnie is a roadster, not a highway bike.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
I don't see the issue.. a whole bunch of Bonnie riders get together for an annual Bonnie rally in the mountains of western NC, and guys ride in from all over the eastern part of the country. One fella came for the first 5 from your neck of the woods, all w/o incident.

My son rides his Bonnie from Indiana to NC a couple times each year - it's 450+ miles each way. He could ride his 'big bike'.. but he really enjoys riding the Bonnie.

Sure, you could take the Wing, but you could also drive the car.. why not do something 'different'. The creature comforts won't be there, but maybe that's not such a bad thing... it might take you back to the essence of motorcycling.

My only piece of advice is that if your Bonnie has a 17-tooth front sprocket, you might consider swapping it for an 18-tooth sprocket, especially since you'll do a lot of the ride on the slabs. It's not a 'must do', but it will make things a bit easier on you and the bike.

Have a safe one!... where ya going?

I've taken plenty of long trips on my bonnie, mostly when I had stock spoked wheels. It's lots of fun to strap yer crap to the seat and make like a fetus (head out!).

KingBear

Hooligan
Yeah, some guys do it, but do they enjoy it? I think not. So sure, if you want to do it just to do it, for the experience of having a sore ass and you'll hardly wait for the ride to be over, knock yourself out.

Iceseven

750cc
I enjoy touring on a minimal machine where you feel everything, pain, rain, wind. Ted Simon enjoyed cruising the world on a 500cc Triumph. I put over 50,000 miles on my 1974 all over the country and enjoyed it. Sure you get no hand warmers, cup holders and XM radio stereo but you can stay at home and get that, the comforts of home. Pack up you bike and ride, any bike works just ride.

Should be about 550 miles, mostly interstate. It'll either be hotter than hell or pouring rain. Probably both. We then have 3 days to enjoy the mountains, then we do it all over again to get home.

You might suffer on the stupor-slab, but you'll love the bonnie in the mountains! BTW, I rode mine into Flagstaff, AZ which was around 10,000 feet, and it was farting-rich, but it ran ok.

Yeah, some guys do it, but do they enjoy it? I think not.

550 miles one way isn't really that bad, I've done it a few times and did enjoy it, sore but or not.

I say take the GW and pull the Bonnie behind it in a trailer. :cheers:

now that's an idea!

DandyDoug

750cc
I took my first long trip on my 05 T100 from Tampa to Deals Gap three years ago this past April. It's farther than you are going and a piece of cake if you just relax and enjoy it.

But I will warn you of a potentially very expensive situation that can arrise from the trip, at least it did for me.
When I got back to Tampa, I sold the house, moved back up here to NC. and have no regrets :)

You will not regret having the Triumph over the GW in the mountains. Plus you get to laugh at your cruiser riding buddies as you blow through every curve and they are on the brakes.:eeek:

DIRK

750cc
if the wing is set up then wing it. or set up the bonnie sargent seat. a screen of your liking, bags hepco becker or ride naked and don't complain if your butt is sore. one of my best rides was on a 70 bmw r75/5 no shield stock sargent seat. 1087 miles in 22 hours. so ya take the bonnie give it a go. you can always slow down and rest up a bit!

remember to shift your butt around BEFORE it gets sore. Use the passenger pegs and some highway pegs if you have 'em or can get them.

Low bars work great for getting out of the wind. I have clip ons and they're awesome at speed.

When you ride for 6 hours every day as a job the sore butt thing ceases completely lol
Though I do find the pull on my neck gets me on the Bon, have just fitted a small screen to see if that helps.