Sidestand&Neutral switch

nohawk

Rocker
Are these two part of the same circuit? My neutral light is out, well I lost the bulb and the two leads in the little rubber socket in the dash touched each other(got pretty hot too) and now I have to jump the sidestand switch to start the bike with the stand down. Any ideas?

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Are these two part of the same circuit? My neutral light is out, well I lost the bulb and the two leads in the little rubber socket in the dash touched each other(got pretty hot too) and now I have to jump the sidestand switch to start the bike with the stand down. Any ideas?

It's weirdly connected, yeah. I didn't have the sensor wire that ran from the bottom of the motor to the wiring harness, and I couldn't start the bike with the kick stand down.

slobinski

Scooter
I disconnected my side stand switch about a year ago. Seems like I just spliced two wires together where they come out of a connector under the left side cover.

nohawk

Rocker
Yeah to bypass the switch you just need to jump or splice the two wires on the main harness side of the plug under the left sidecover

What to be aware of is that you dont then ride with sidestand down lol. I got rid of my sensor ages ago as well. If dont feel confident with splice just take to a shop. A very easy & inexpensive exercise for u and them.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Does that kickstand switch need any special maintenance to keep it in good working condition? Sounds like a fair number of y'all are having issues with yours. I've never paid any attention to it, maybe I ought to?

Last edited:

slobinski

Scooter
Seems like there was a thread here a while back that discussed removing and cleaning the grime and moisture out of it. There's a plunger that operates a small microswitch inside. I mainly removed mine as a preventive measure after having one on my dualsport bike fail, many miles from home.

loxpump

Rocker
I kind of look at it as an unnecessary safety feature. All it does is keep you from putting it in gear with the stand down. Is that major problem?

mark66

TT Racer
I kind of look at it as an unnecessary safety feature. All it does is keep you from putting it in gear with the stand down. Is that major problem?

The major problem comes when you let the clutch out and take off with the stand still down. Everything is fine till you lean over in a left hand turn and bam the stand hits the ground and throws your bike upright and then straight ahead. This happened to me many years ago on my old BSA. I gassed up and pulled out fast into the road, leaned over and got shot back up and straight ahead. Lucky for me there was a parking lot right across from the gas station and I shot right in there. Man did I feel stupid, but I remember that stand now.
I'm not preaching safety here just saying what happened to me.

Does that kickstand switch need any special maintenance to keep it in good working condition? Sounds like a fair number of y'all are having issues with yours

I think a fair few of us have not so much had issues on the bike as have had issues before with these switches and not been able to ride bike due to switch being under the impression that side stand is down. And when late for work or a long way from home its a real bummer. Once it occured a few times briefly on the bon, I knew was time to remove it. I most def see the benefit of the switch, as I still sometimes forget, if only for a very brief moment, to lift sidestand. But between me having the control to start bike on or off stand and the risk of me forgetting. I choose the latter.

ssjones

750cc
40k on my sidestand switch with no issues. I pull mine annually and put some dielectric grease in the rubber boot. I have a feeling, as soon as I'd pull mine, I'd ride down the street with the sidestand down, hit the left turn and go down in an embarrassing heap. If the switch ever takes a dump, I'll consider jumping it out.

My sidestand switch just quit working a few weeks ago. I can put the sidestand down while in gear and nothing happens. I guess I'm gonna fix it...

nohawk

Rocker
My sidestand switch just quit working a few weeks ago. I can put the sidestand down while in gear and nothing happens. I guess I'm gonna fix it...

Mine had failed so that I couldnt run the engine while the bike was on the kickstand in neutral. Sounds like yours quit working in the other position. The first couple of mornings I had it warming up leaning on the wall outside the garage. Did you ride out to Luckenbach each day last weekend?

Mine had failed so that I couldnt run the engine while the bike was on the kickstand in neutral. Sounds like yours quit working in the other position. The first couple of mornings I had it warming up leaning on the wall outside the garage. Did you ride out to Luckenbach each day last weekend?

I rode out to Luckenbach both on Friday and Saturday. It was dead out there on Friday so I only stayed for 2-3 hours. I was there pretty much all day Saturday.