scram for touring?

fergie

Scooter
I'm thinking of getting a scram. It seems that most of the reviews say it would not make a great travelling bike. I would like however to be able to take the odd 3-4 thousand mile trip. If a windshield and throttle lock are fitted, is the bike still going to be unbearable for that distance?

Last edited:

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I'm thinking of getting a scram. It seems that most of the reviews say it would not make a great travelling bike. I would like however to be able to take the odd 3-4 thousand mile trip. If a windshield and throttle lock are fitted, is the bike still going to be unbearable for that distance?

There are probably better bikes for long trips, but I've done a 2 week 3500 mi. trip on my bonneville, and there are plenty of others that have done the same.

A scram will go pretty much wherever you can take it.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I've taken a 2002 Bonneville for a 1,600 mile trip with no issues. I have a 2010 Scrambler now and I find it more comfortable for my 5'11" frame. As soon as I figure out how to carry my tent and a bag properly, I will do the same 1,600 mile trip and probably enjoy it even more.

Go for it.

Iceseven

750cc
I did a week and about 1500 miles also and actually the Scram handles it well, my suggestion is to get a windscreen (I use a Slipstreamer Spitfire) and a gel seat, my butt was the limiting factor for mileage.

The rest of the bike is fine for touring if you can figure out the luggage setup. I use two saddlebags and a touring pack on my seat.

simpson

TT Racer
I took my Thruxton across the country and back. I loved it.

I guess my feeling is that any bike is a good tourer, but not every rider is.

-simpson

ivar

TT Racer
just did about 2500 miles in 9 days on my 02. Even with a Thruxton gel seat, my butt gets numb after long days in the saddle. But moving around, changing positions, standing up once in awhile all helps. Also, better suspension front and rear helps a lot too.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
I know a fellow who has ridden his Scrambler around the United States 3 times-hauling all his camping gear. Now on his forth outing which will include Canada. Every year we see him and ask "on a Scrambler?" and he says "it's perfect".

Like the guy above said-every bike can tour-not every rider can.

Deano

Two Stroke
Ive done a tour of the Sth Island of NZ on my Scrambler. What the others have said, windscreen (I didn't, wish I had) numb bum, and luggage. The bike was actually brillant, because every time I saw a back road, fire break, forestry track I would take it. saw some brillant stuff I would not have on a big road tourer. My only complaint would be that when you get a long straight in front, you cant whack it up to 150, so you just adjust the riding style, cruise along, stop often. It was an awesome ride, often passed by the big sports tourers, but I never saw them at that remote beautiful beach, or at the top of the mountain.

I would recomend picking a different bike - but if you insist on a Scram, there are a few things that will help on longer rides.

If you drop the dough on a decent set of shocks and a gel seat, you won't get 'numb bum'. It's also a good idea to sort out the front suspension with new springs or emulators or fork oil tweaks or whatever works for you. Handguards help alot - the ones for the Triumph Tiger 1050 work on the Scrambler. You may also want to try a tall tank bag instead of a wind shield - kills two birds with one stone.

IMG_1643.jpg

Hiltz

Scooter
I've done 1500 mi trips on my Scram with 400 mile days. Dart flyscreen, Ventura luggage system, Cramp Buster. Very comfortable, no problems.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I would recomend picking a different bike - but if you insist on a Scram, there are a few things that will help on longer rides.

If you drop the dough on a decent set of shocks and a gel seat, you won't get 'numb bum'. It's also a good idea to sort out the front suspension with new springs or emulators or fork oil tweaks or whatever works for you. Handguards help alot - the ones for the Triumph Tiger 1050 work on the Scrambler. You may also want to try a tall tank bag instead of a wind shield - kills two birds with one stone.

IMG_1643.jpg

Wow great scenery. Exactly what part of NY is that beach?? :)

Deano

Two Stroke
I totally agree with skid plate on the suspension upgrades. before upgrades 1hr = numb bum. After 2-3hrs = numb bum. I also played around with the handle bar position, and found when I dropeed them down and back, it suited me much more = extra 1/2 hr in the saddle.

Rhodie

Street Tracker
I don't remember saying perfect.

heh..heh..

You'll find much sound advice already written on the Scrambler here.
The one thing I would be wary of is a throttle lock. But this is of course dependent on roads & traffic patterns. Where I live, it would be lethal.

Others have already said that there are better bikes for long distance touring.
However, if you have time to stay awhile, en-route, then there are fewer bikes that will quite give you that feeling of fun.

BTW for numb-bum try the Airhawk medium seat pad. Works a treat with the solo seat.

Last edited:

TC_Dick

TT Racer
heh..heh..

You'll find much sound advice already written on the Scrambler here.
The one thing I would be wary of is a throttle lock. But this is of course dependent on roads & traffic patterns. Where I live, it would be lethal.

Others have already said that there are better bikes for long distance touring.
However, if you have time to stay awhile, en-route, then there are fewer bikes that will quite give you that feeling of fun.

BTW for numb-bum try the Airhawk medium seat pad. Works a treat with the solo seat.

I got one of these in lieu of a throttle lock:

http://throttlerocker.com/

once properly positioned, it worked perfect for cruising at highway speeds, and was also just fine for typical in-traffic/surface street riding.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Sorry-didn't mean to mis-quote you but I was sure I heard that word outside the cafe at breakfast two years ago. I remember (or not, I quess) because I thought it was very brave of you to do as many long trips as you do on that bike. At any rate, I stand corrected.

Like most things in life , the Scrambler is not perfect.

geo-k

Scooter
I don't usually ride more than a hundred miles at a go, but if I did...
I would get a windshield, though the Scram's sweet spot is 50-60mph, and planning a trip using roads at similar speeds makes it more enjoyable.
Rhodie is right on with an Airhawk, though I always thought they were grossly overpriced.
Travel light!!! The Scrams biggest "weak point" is a lack of luggage capacity, but it wasn't really designed as a long distance tourer, so pack carefully.
Fuel. Get in the mode to stop every 100-120 miles for fuel (and your butt).
Other than that, if it's going to be mostly road travel, I think it would benefit from a more on-road tire set up.
Suspension mods would be nice, but if you are looking to save money, traveling light, frequent stops, and maybe an Airhawk pad and screen.
It seems like when I was younger all my friends would drive 1000's of miles on GPz550's, etc with a backpack and never complain.
All the farkling is for fun, and because we are all getting older!:w