Saddlebag Alternatives

slowgator

750cc
After four years of use, my Triumph teardrop saddlebags on my T100 are torn, worn and ready for replacement. Have shopped around and looked at all the options available, including the "Saddlebags with Pics" thread on another forum.

Problem is, am dragging my feet on picking a replacement because I just think a Bonnie looks better totally naked and without bags. However, most of us like to carry a few items along on rides, including some basic tools, so I'm willing to compromise looks for practicality, to a degree.

Before I pull the trigger on the bags on my short list, both medium slant options:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/...s_classic.html

http://www.riverroadgear.com/Saddleb...Saddlebag.html

Would be interested in what alternatives to saddlebags are being used out there...tankbags, sissy bar bags, etc. Feedback on the above options also welcomed.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Depending on how big you want your luggage to be... I have a t-bag which is actually part of a bigger set. It has some velcro straps that I put thru the buddy strap and bungee it to the seat. Very secure. It holds enough for me to go on overnighters and the occasional trip to the local gas n sip for groceries.

Attachments

• Bonnie-Kirky.jpg
    Bonnie-Kirky.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
...the "Saddlebags with Pics" thread on another forum.

I think that's the one that I started - glad it's still of use!!

Broken links. :(

I have the Triumph mounting rails permanently on my bike. I have a set of bags (not slant - I think they are the straight jumbo Drifters) that I throw on (under the seat) for road trips or when I'm going to be toting stuff. For longer trips I add a tail bag that sits on the seat behind me, and a tank bag for the chatterbox and some water.

I have a set of bags that look pretty darn good that I bought from another member (they are brand new), that are a bit small for road trips but might be just right for daily use. I will check the brand and post a pic tomorrow. If they fit your bill I'll make you a deal on them!

Bonniebret

Rocker
I'm not a fan of saddle bags on Bonnies and think tank bags are ugly. When it comes to day trips I'm from the camp of it doesn't fit in your pocket don't bring it. For overnight trips I put everything in a backpack, put my sleeping bag through the straps and bungie the thing to the back of my seat. Works fine.

If I was to change anything I'd get one of these to bolt-on just for use on overnight rides just for more stability and space and take it off when not in use.

http://newbonneville.com/html/seat_bar.html

Here's a shot of me arriving at the Slab City Riot last year with my bike rocking the Beverly Hillbillies look...

screenshot20101109at946.jpg

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Here is what I use and have never not been able to haul what I need.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5487.jpg
    IMG_5487.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 0

nohawk

Rocker
I'm thinking of some ammo boxes. I bet someone has used them on a Bonnie but I can't find it.

fender

Street Tracker
I looking to get rid of my Coretech Sport Saddlebags. Worked great and have loaded them up but always felt like they needed saddlebag supports to make me completely comfortable. I have a pair of Triumph Pannier supports but didn't care for how they looked on the bike without the saddle bags.

h_ra_black.jpg

I decided to replace them with Wolfman Beta rear bag. Which should give me plenty of capacity and no need for the saddle bag/support combo.

wolfman_mini_beta_tail_bag.jpg

If any one has any feedback on the Wolfman bag I would love to hear it. So far all positive comments.

I'm thinking of some ammo boxes. I bet someone has used them on a Bonnie but I can't find it.

The BAMOTO guys used to have photos of ammo boxes on their Bonnies. Can't seem to find the photos on the web site any longer. I went and bought 40 caliber ammo boxes and never used them.

austat2

Scooter
i went to the army disposal store and bot 2 shoulder bags then went and got them sewn together . all up they cost me less than 50 bucks

Bigted

Two Stroke
I don't do much touring but like using the type of bag the professional bike courier/messengers use, they can come pretty big too ie: 20 plus liters capacity.

They have padding on the shoulder straps as well as quick release buckles including a belly belt which keeps the bag centered, make the straps loose/long enough and the bag sits on the seat behind you.

Kappy

Two Stroke
I love my Hepco & Becker panniers. Great looking panniers and damn good quality. Actually saved my leg the other day when I stupid women hit me at 100km/h on the highway.
Bike is ok (have replaced one pannier, one SLS slider and realigned the engine guard).

Kappy

Attachments

• IMG_001000.jpg
    IMG_001000.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

sanjuro

Two Stroke
No worries, I had almost forgotten about the ammo cans. Never got around to doing the cans, other mods and projects have distracted me.

Easy13

Street Tracker
I'll go back to the Cortech sport bags; I have the saddlebags and tailbag sytem and they work great! The tailbag has buckles that attach to the saddlebags and bungee straps as well, so I can use the tailbag by itself. For long hauls, there's more than enough room for what you'll need. On dayrides, the tailbag works well for extra gear (wet weather, etc.), maps, smokes, a couple sodas, tools, whatever. Perfect, IMHO.