Riders dogs - let's see 'em!

I'm not sure whether this topic has been done before but it seems that a lot of us have dogs as pets. Let's get some pics and a few lines about our wonderful companions.

This is the late "Wilfy". He was a pedigree Staffordshire Bull Terrier with champion bloodlines. I got him as a 7 week old pup. His registered name was "Wheels for Wilf" as I'd bought a BSA Starfire 250 for my then wife, but she couldn't start it so I swapped it for the pup.

Wilfy had to be put to sleep this past June as he was deaf & blind, wobbly on his legs and prone to the occassional fit. Too much to ask my 79 year old father to cope with and at 15 years old, he'd had a good life and brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people. He was a big dog in a small package and is sorely missed.

wilfy_pup.jpg

wilfy_3.jpg

Wilfy_old.jpg

This is "Mr Bones". He's a 2 year old American Pit Bull Terrier. We got him here as an 8 week old pup after fruitlessly searching all over Thailand for a Stafford. He's turned out to be a great dog. Brilliant with our 8 year old daughter and very protective of the house. He's got hell of a prey drive and anything that enters the garden, he sees as fair game. So far he's claimed 2 cats, a rat, a couple of snakes, a bird and a chicken.

In the second pic, he has his "winter coat" on as he sleeps outside year round.

MrBones006Small-2.jpg

Katspics005.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

Pikey, what's the diff between a Pit Bull and a Staffordshire Terrier? I thought they were one in the same.

here's my new Airedale pup Jerome the day I brought him home:

jeromeishome012.jpg

he loves his Da-Da

jeromeatsoccer.jpg

here he is just grown up a little bit:

jeromoface.jpg

my 7 year old female Airedale named Pepper:

5534_1083936179982_1273707195_217653_4564331_n.jpg

halloween2008016.jpg

and here's the both of them, Jerome has grown a bit!

Jerome:

9517_1109823227142_1273707195_283482_2004418_n.jpg

and Pepper:

9517_1109823267143_1273707195_283483_1179962_n.jpg

For comparison, Jerome is 7 months old and Pepper is 7 years old. She still acts like she's 7 months old though. I wrestle and fight with both of them on a daily basis, usualy 2 on 1 (2 of them and 1 of me). Pep is around 70 lbs and last time I weighed Jerome he was just over 60lbs, but that was a month ago. He should be about 100 lbs when fully grown. His bark is VERY deep and menacing, even though he's only a pup.

Nice dogs gents - keep them coming!

Sweat, in the US, you guys have a couple of governing bodies for pedigree dogs and I think one of them registers Pit Bulls as American Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Something to do with getting around the ban of Pit Bulls because of their fighting history. So, yep, I think you are right in saying that they are one and the same, but it's a subject which causes great controversy.

Now, an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier is something different again. He's the original which Pits and Am Staffs evolved from. The Stafford as we Brits know him is a much smaller dog than the Am Staff or Pit, typically coming in at a healthy weight of around 18KG whereas his US cousins are normally around double that, if not more, depending on bloodline. Seems that the trend in the US (and elsewhere) is to breed big "blocky" dogs as that's what people have come to expect a Pit to look like. These are the show or "for show" dogs whereas the original "gamebred" Pit is closer in weight to his English cousin, usually around 20 - 25KG. The bigger dog may look more impressive, but in a fight (something I do not condone in any shape or form), the lighter dog is more agile and has better wind to go the distance - kinda similar to a Harley & a Bonnie really ;)

Also, don't forget that you have also got English Bull Terriers - they are the ones that are normally black & white piebald with a shoe-box shaped head!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Moose

dscn0205.jpg

Moose is a the type of dog you get once in a lifetime.I have had some really good dogs, but only one other that was even close to Moose. Attentive , obedient , extremely intelligent , very affectionate. I have had a lotofdogs.Moose is one in a million. He never barks except when a stranger comes to the door - then he has the biggest deepest bark. He will stick by me like a shadow when I am working outside to the point I forget he is out there. Moose seems to knows a lot of words, mabe 100 words.He is a 120 lb Chocalate Lab but we got him as a puppy from a pound. He is really a mutt.

Mooose is a serious water dog. He will swim and retreive all day.
DCP_3602.jpg

He will heel like a champion in most any environment with no leash. With a minimum of training he acts fully trained and he stays trained, obedient and focused even in a crowd or a strange place. I take him to parades in town and he wears his red back pack. A lot of times people ask me if is he is a rescue dog. Its the pack, but also his calmness.

Last edited:

ssjones

750cc
Two Westies.
15 yr old Maggie and 8 yr old Ellie
Maggie, while in good health has lost a good part of her eyesight and hearing. She stumbles occasionally. We hope that we'll still have a little more time with her, if her quality of life maintains.

And their new friend, a Green Cheek conure named "Stevie" (SRV...)

He enjoys a swig or two of wine, occasionally....

RonL

Scooter
Bonafide, that is a gorgeous Shep.

We always had big dogs growing up, shepherds and dobermans. In fact, I used to help a trainer with agitation training and I always ended up the dude in the cushioned suit. Nowadays, I've sort of "adopted" Renee's two Yorkies. I affectionately call them Killer and Cujo.

Picture006a-1.jpg

I tease her that my dogs used to take dumps in the backyard bigger than her dogs.

Motley

750cc
We breed, work and show Jack Russell Terriers. These are good workers and will readily go to ground after fox, racoon, opossum and groundhog.

Wanna see more? You can visit our website at http://www.reynard.ca/

July09-2085.jpg

July09-2093.jpg

July09-2095.jpg

July09-2101.jpg

.......and one for the girls.
Shelbypuppies10daysold.jpg

Mayor08

Scooter
Meet Billy!

We adopted our Boston Terrier at age 1 it's hard to believe he was unwanted twice before we found him. He is a sweet dog so long as you're not a squirrel, rabbit, bird, stuffed toy or skunk! He is part of the family and joined us on our vacation to Ontario this summer (his second trip). He will have been with us for 4 years this December we drove up to Wisconsin in a snow storm to pick him up we should have brought him home the day we interviewed with his foster family. The following shots are of us in Kincardine, Ontario and at the house.

Attachments

• DSC_0901.jpg
    DSC_0901.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0859.jpg
    DSC_0859.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Helen's Pics 055.jpg
    Helen's Pics 055.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0818.jpg
    DSC_0818.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Geoh3 ,

I love those dogs. I actually think Moose might be a weimerainer, or a mix of weimerainer and lab.

Bonafide what happens when your dog retires?

Geoh3

Scooter
I love those dogs. I actually think Moose might be a weimerainer, or a mix of weimerainer and lab.

Sal, I was thinking Moose might be a weimer mix too. I've never seen a Lab that was near as smart as a Weimer. Moose has a 100 word vocabulary confirms this. :lol2: Both of my dogs understand sentences, not just one word commands. They now even now the days of the week. They get raw hide treats on Sunday evenings. On other evenings, they will beg for a treat and I tell them what day it is and that I have nothing for them. They will stop begging. When I tell them that it's Sunday, they both head for the kitchen.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Bonafide what happens when your dog retires?

They can be either offered up for adoption or the handler keeps them. Adoptions are rare. Usually around here, handlers keep their retiring partners. They'll usually retire around 6-8 yrs old, but can live to be 12-14 yrs old. It's not uncommon to have 2 retired K9s at your house with a current partner on the leash.

The one pictured is my third partner. I still have my #2, but put my first partner (Boomer) up for adoption because he was being retired for severe medical/allergies that required alot time & money to just keep him. The people who adopted him thought we didnt do enough to 'fix' his problems - and after 3 months, a bunch of money and travel time - they decided I actually knew what I was talking about and put him down.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Both of my dogs understand sentences, not just one word commands. - Geoh3

That's Moose. He basically figures out what you are saying and reacts accordingly."I have to get an oil filter" means nothing to him. "you wanna go for a ride?" gets him howling.

Last edited:

loxpump

Rocker
Here's Murphy at about 12 weeks.
Mom is a Basset Hound and dad is a Minature Dachhound.
I guess that makes him 100% hound dog, or mutt.
0_bigyawn1.jpg

Murphy2_726sm.jpg

He leads a very rough life.
DSCN0154.jpg

While he's not a water dog, he has learned to like it.
As long as it's not in the bath tub.
media5.jpg

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
I had a Lab / Hound / Bouvier (sp?) mix...

Buddy. Smart as a whip, and loyal like you wouldn't believe. Man, it's been 5 yrs and I still miss her.

I don't have any pics of her on this comp. but I do have this so she is always with me. You wouldn't think it would be hard to take a photo with a phone of your own knee, but, it is.

No immediate plans to find a new one, but when I do, I will be sticking with a Lab, or Lab X.

And the colours of the tags and collar are what she wore.

Attachments

• Picture 285.jpg
    Picture 285.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0