Quick bafflectomy question

bonnaz

Scooter
I have been reading the "Bafflectomy" threads for a few days now and still have a question..... If I do the rebar type modification on my '09 T100, say 2-3 holes, just for a bit of sound change, is this enough of a change to require a map upload?

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
Way late getting to this post. Just bought my Scram. After reading this thread, I'm remembering back in the Honda CB77 Scramblers when we would poke the baffles out.
After looking at the pics, and I believe the Scram mufflers are made similar, I'm wondering if I could use the 3/8X12" bit an electrician friend left me to enlarge some of the holes, or open new holes in the baffles on my stock Scrambler muffs.
From what I'm seeing, any shavings left in the muff will be contained in one of the chambers and won't be a problem for the engine.
I want to keep a low profile in the neighborhood, and don't care much for really loud pipes anyway. The exhaust on my '68 Bonnie is made up from Supertrapp parts and I've tuned it to give me just enough tone to enjoy the engine without rattling the windows.
I thought I'd start with very small changes so I don't get so loud in one move that I won't like it. And I don't want to get into jetting changes, even though my pipes are blue up by the head now. But I think that's more from the tight bend than anything else, the only thing the PO did was loose the snorkle. Thoughts? Thanks, Mike

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Just about any of the bafflectomy operations you see on this forum will yield a nice mellow sound that won't bother a sleeping baby or set off the neighborhood dogs when you ride and don't require a remap or jet change.
It's when you get into installing other pipes you begin to need to look at the rich/lean thing....
I did mine with the holesaw and an extended carbide bit and somewhere in the forum is a post showing the inside of a muffler to give you an idea of what to look for.
I'd think the rebar poking holes thing might just be the ticket and by far the easiest but have a look around and see what strikes your fancy.
Go here:
http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/search.php?searchid=210391

and have a look at what others have done, one warning, when drilling the pipes out, be sure and cover the adjacent wheel and rim with a cloth to avoid fine metal particles landing on it. You'll get a spotty bit of rust if you don't cover up.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Chiroluca, nice photos of a job well done. I like the looks of your mufflers, very clean!
Welcome to the forum also

So just reading this and I know this was a few years ago, but has anyone tried any of these methods on TORs? I have them currently on my bike now and still would like a bit more grumble. They've only been on for about 500 miles, though. So i understand they can get a little louder with age.

Am i stupid for wanting to do this to TORS (bought them used and pretty cheap)?

squidsix

Scooter
I did this on the TORS on my 2011 Mag Wheel bike before I eventually got new cans. I liked the way the TORS sounded with the baffle perforated.

Nice. Thanks, Squidsix. So you did the rebar (poked holes through) on the TORS? That route seems the easiest and quickest way to get a sound change. I dont plan on keeping my TORS forever. They were just a quick/cheap replacement until i find something more permanent. Unless this new fix turns out to be just what i need.

squidsix

Scooter
No I used a long (electrician's) drill bit. 3/8 inch diameter. I drilled about 6 holes in each side. Easy as pie. Took all of 10 minutes.

Hey Squidsix - Sorry to be a pain. Did you mean that you drilled 6 holes at each end of each exhaust (the Inlet & Outlet baffles #'s 1 & 4)?.... Thanks

squidsix

Scooter
No, I went in from the back with the mufflers still on the bike, and drilled into the (intermediate?) plate with 6 3/8" holes per muffler. I would just have cut out the baffle, but I lacked a tool that would allow that at the time. If I were doing it again, I would have made a few more holes closer to each other and removed the center section of the baffle.

Paulr

moped
Hi guys, has anyone done this mod on the pipes of a 2013 t100 model. Obviously efi, from what I am reading it's a case of entering the rear of the pipe and cutting away the weld. Am I correct in thinking there is then a second weld further in to release the first baffle ?. I would like a slightly louder pipe but don't want to remap, is it that easy and possible without too much aggravation ?