Quick bafflectomy question

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Actually two questions...I got out my 1 1/4 hole saw this afternoon, all ready to go, but noticed the hole saw didnt' go into the space between the inner and outer pipe like I expected. It makes contact with the outer pipe, just after the chrome stops. So when I run the saw, it'll actually cut more than I thought. Has anyone else had this problem, and will it affect anything? I figure if it cuts part of the outer pipe it may make the opening look larger, but I've heard of people who have developed rattles. I'm also afraid that if it's not big enough to cut through the pipe, it may just shave away at the inside wall of the outer pipe, and not really do anything. Does that description make any sense? Anyway, I thought I'd ask before I start, which is so unlike me. BTW, my bike is an '07.
Second thing, how much louder will it be if I only take out the rear most baffle? I want a little more deep sound, but not too loud. I did the rear baffle on my Super Hawk shortly after I got it, and it's bloody LOUD! Don't really want that again.

Thanks for all the help.

koifarm

Hooligan
Hey Lance,
Use the quarter inch holesaw, it will take out most of the end of the pipe leaving a tiny lip which can be ground down with an angle grinder.
BEFORE you start cutting though, spread a dropcloth over the rear of the bike and cover it entirely, the metal dust and chips will rust instantly if they are on the bike.
I kept my silencers on during the process, some guys take em off to do it.
You will remove the rearmost baffle, its only about six inches long and covered with fiberglass.
I used a long bit and drilled through the next three baffles, about four holes in each one, and left the front baffle undrilled.
you will love the sound, nice mellow growl and not really all that loud and as a bonus you don't need to rejet when doing this mod.
If you need to discuss the operation, 904-810-1014
Bill

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Another thing-I've read some posts where people have simply cut the last inch or two off the stock pipe, which seems to make it much easier to gut it. But I'd like to see a photo to make sure I like the look, and also wonder what you cut it with. Really don't wanna mess up the look. Anyone do this?

koifarm

Hooligan
If I were going to cut the last two inches off the pipes I'd likely use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade, one that was of medium length, tape off the area where the cut would be so the sawzall doesn''t scratch the outside of the pipe, line everything up so the cut is square to the end of the pipe, and let er rip.....you will have to cut both the outside of the pipe and the baffle inside.
I thought about doing it that way and decided it was too tricky to get a clean cut on both pipes and make them even. Went with the grinding/holesaw method since it seemed like a less aggressive approach and more controllable.
You do need a right angle grinder with a thin blade to even up the pipes in any event.
Have you seen this?
http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356
You can see the grinder I got at Home Depot there, the one bonafide used is about a $25 tip, mine cost a lot less and worked just fine, If you would like, Give me your snail mail addy and I"ll send you the one I used free for nothing....lol..(.pm that to me)

Ben Quick

Street Tracker
Sawzall worked fine for me. In fact on my 06 the interior flanges were somewhat different so using the hole saw did not work for me. As said earlier. Tape the pipe, measure about 1 1/2 ". You can easily draw on the tape the line you want to cut and the sawzall will cut it easily with the pipes on the bike. Mine sounds better now but I have yet to drill or punch any holes.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Yea, I'd seen that post. I agree the hole saw approach seems less likely to mess anything up, but on the other hand, if I cut the pipes in front of the weld, then it seems I could just twist the end of the pipe, and the welded part would still be attached and come out with the baffle, right? Hmm. I don't have a sawzall, but I do have a friend with one. Any pics of one with the pipes cut? I'm kinda picky about cosmetics and really don't want it to look like some backyard hack job.
Koi-what is the grinder for? just to smooth out the inside of the pipes? Are you talking about the hole saw in the post or another piece?

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
If you cut the pipe back from the end by a couple of inches, you may or may not encounter the welded part from the back baffle. In which case you may have to twist or otherwise break that weld to get the end piece out, you would have to ask someone who used a sawzall to see just how that goes.
The grinder is to even up the ends of the pipes but also to grind that rolled end of the pipe off should you desire to do that. Some guys leave the rolled lip on to keep the factory look, some think it causes a burble of exhaust fumes. You dont' need the grinder if you are using the sawzall method.
I'm attaching a couple of shots of the ends of my pipes, if you look inside you'll see the weld attachment points which have to be severed to get the guts out. I would guess if you cut past that with a sawzall it should just pull out easily.

Attachments

• 2009_0314daytonaextra0022.jpg
    2009_0314daytonaextra0022.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2009_0314daytonaextra0023.jpg
    2009_0314daytonaextra0023.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0

shinerman

Scooter
Any difference in a bafflectomy on an '08 as opposed to the '07? seems like the stock pipes would be the same for these years

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Hmmmm, now I'm not sure which way to go. The cutting idea seems easier, except for the fear of screwing it up. Guess I'll have to sleep on it for a while. Has anyone used anything besides a sawzall? I have one I could borrow, but wondered if I could get away with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade?

Kirkus51

Hooligan
OR........you could just get a1/2(?) by 3ft (appx) inch drift(big nail) from the hardware store and a small 5lb sledge and just punch thru the rear baffle. Did mine in about 2 minutes for each pipe. You're looking to just get a bit more noise out of the pipe as was I and this was a $3 fix that worked wonderfully and left the ends of the pipes nice and pristine and made my Black sound really nice and not offensive. Kinda 1/2 way between stock and TORS.

This "trick" was done to just about all the Sportsters in one Harley shop I visited in my harley days.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Great idea Kirkus,
That really simplifies the whole process....and leaves the pipes alone....did you go any further than the last baffle?
I think there are three other baffles past that end one....I drilled through those as well but the punch method seems like it would work on those since they are all soft metal.
What do you think about that one Thrux?

koifarm

Hooligan
year

Any difference in a bafflectomy on an '08 as opposed to the '07? seems like the stock pipes would be the same for these years

I know the 06's are different than the 07's but dont' know who has done that to their 08 to compare to.

koifarm

Hooligan
saw

Hmmmm, now I'm not sure which way to go. The cutting idea seems easier, except for the fear of screwing it up. Guess I'll have to sleep on it for a while. Has anyone used anything besides a sawzall? I have one I could borrow, but wondered if I could get away with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade?

Probably would work, the only problem I see with a jigsaw is blade length. You're going to need a blade long enough so that when the blade is all the way on the "up" stroke the tip end does not end up inside the pipe and break the blade off on the next "down" stroke.....I ve got a pile of jigsaw blades but don't have any long enough to do the job. Maybe a trip to Home Depot is in order to see if you can find one that's three inches or better, even four inches might work the best.

loxpump

Rocker
Muffler Autopsy

Here's some pictures I took of a muffler off of my 2002.
78cc709d.jpg

c73100a6.jpg

8462669b.jpg

80537d35.jpg

cae31475.jpg

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Thats my picture ( from Lox Pump's) that Koi posted. I removed the rear baffle first and then punched through all the baffles as shown in that picture using the inner pipe as a guide sleeve for my rebar.

koifarm

Hooligan
Hey Lox,
Thanks for the great pictures, I'd been looking for them but had to leave for a ride. They should help Thrux to understand what he's contemplating doing.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
yes, it definately helps. Those things are pretty complicated inside! No wonder they weigh so much. My only concern now is I'm hesitant to start messing with the exhaust or airbox because it just seems to open a new box of problems. So many people here seem to be constantly chasing the best jetting to compensate for mods. I'd really rather be riding. I know when I did the bafflectomy on the SuperHawk, it didn't have any adverse effects, but I've never opened the carbs on it either, so I suppose I may not be getting all the benefits of it.
I'm thinking the best thing for me at this point is hole-saw the last baffle and maybe take the restrictor plate from the airbox. Hopefully since my carbs were rejetted, this won't put me out of specs too badly. I have a fast sportbike, so I'm not trying to make one, I just want a little more sound and if I gain a few horses, or better response, then that'll be great.

koifarm

Hooligan
Why dont' you get her on a dyno to get a baseline, then, if you do mods, you can get back on the dyno and check progress (ie: air/fuel mixture)