Quick bafflectomy question

Bigted

Two Stroke
Bafflectomy starting from the front

I wonder what the tonal quality would be like if you punched out the front baffle only...left the rear ones alone...if the first front one didn't produce the right sound you could go on to the next baffle from the front.....anyone ever try this I wonder? I have a stock set...i might give it a go.
Ted.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
i can't see how that would be too succesful, since the exhaust gasses would still be res tricted at the back. But what the hell, if you have a set of stock cans, might as well try it. Take one for the group!

shinerman

Scooter
Beaman, i went through 2 quality steel bits and one crappy craftsman bit that was probably only good for wood.....it will cut through - don't give up.

There seems to be a big difference in the '08 pipes - in the cut away photos that were posted earlier I see that the plates to punch through in the pipes are perforated - while on my '08 they are solid. after I took out the first baffle I simply drilled 6 small holes in the back solid plates - I think it helped the sound just a bit. good luck

Beaman

Two Stroke
Thanks, Terrond - it's snowing here, so I guess it's the perfect time to do some more drilling!

tchef

Scooter
I've been wanting to try this.Presently running D&Ds sound great but I like the stocker looks, so I tried gutting mine
per the recommendations here.The one side was a piece of cake.Used 1 1/4 saw
The other took me 4 hrs and two new saws.It must have been welded all the way?I like the rolled edge so I didn't cut
the pipe ends I finally got it out.I had a 20 inch 3/8 bit welded to a 1 inch hole saw, went thru all the baffles except the first
one, rebar should take care of that one. Now waiting on my raask head pipes, hook em up and maybe drill some more holes. Mine is a 07.Next project might be the "splayed" carb setup.Wont need any airbox mods!:sheephqr:

Beaman

Two Stroke
Yargh!

So, if I knew how much of a pain the 08 silencers are, I think I would have just cut them.......One baffle came out pretty easy. The other one was a doozy - I ended up breaking off the tube that connects to the curved end and then having to cut the lip to get all of it out. Now, I am cutting off the other one, trying to grind it down with the dremel and probably renting an angle grinder because my OCD will kick in every time I look at it otherwise....The ironic thing is that I am still glad that I got the baffles out. Sounds a ton better and a good stopgap until I have enough money for bubs or epcos or predators....:headbang2:

biker7

Banned
I started the bafflectomy on my '09 Bonny and said screw it after about 1 hour of beating. I didn't want to cut the end of the factory silencer off which would have been simple enough but destroy the look of the muffler. Ordered TORS and although a bit quieter than maybe I would prefer...not a real bad thing, a better alternative...TORS are both shorter and lighter than the stock silencers as well.
George

etherman

Scooter
After looking at my pipes and removed baffles I've decided what went wrong, with the second pipe. If I was doing it again I wound hammer the baffles in to break the baffles loose from the unseen second ring/weld before doing any cutting. My first baffle came out sooooooo easy I came to the conclusion that I some how broke it loose before or during the cutting process, because the second ring is not damaged and the baffle pulled right out without a hammer. On second pipe I cut into the second ring/weld, the extra material that was left on the baffle is what caused all my problems with getting it outta the rear of the pipe. So try hammering the baffle in to break the second weld loose,before cutting the area at the back of the pipe. :brit_tit:

Beaman

Two Stroke
I discovered the same thing, but something weird happened with the extra pipe attached to the lip. I am still glad that I did it!

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
So I guess the lesson learned here is that '07 and later, the last baffle is indeed solid, as opposed to the perforated ones in the photos. Seems the takeaway lesson is that on the later model bikes, it's much easier to just rebar through the baffles than to use a hole saw to cut the rear inner pipe out.
Boy am I glad I was lazy. I had initially intended to do the "hole saw" thing, but ended up punching out the baffles with the rebar, which literally took all of 2 minutes, not counting my first experiment with the spade drill bit. I'm pretty happy with the result but may punch through one more baffle next time the opportunity presents.

Beaman

Two Stroke
Yesh

I was successful with the first one so it may be a snap with a really good hole saw. I ended up pounding in the second one and then not being able to pull it out past the lip because part of the lip was attached to the pounded in piece. If I were to do it over again, I would just take the angle grinder and cut two inches off and pull that shyte out......Until I get Epcos I am glad that I have the baffles out. I plan on punching in holes into the baffle plates. Your idea sounds good too, Thrux.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Hey, Thrux,
Forgot to ask, hows the new BB doing? You and your wife having fun yet? Hope you are enjoying the little guy, they are precious when they're newbies, nothing like that "new baby" smell.......lol.....well, at least when they're freshly washed and not , well, you know!!

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Hey thanks. Just wishing for sleep! He's not on a day schedule yet, and really doesn't sleep much till about 3 am. Hoping to turn that around in the next week or so.

Bigted

Two Stroke
Bafflectomy starting from the front
I wonder what the tonal quality would be like if you punched out the front baffle only...left the rear ones alone...if the first front one didn't produce the right sound you could go on to the next baffle from the front.....anyone ever try this I wonder? I have a stock set...i might give it a go.
Ted.

i can't see how that would be too succesful, since the exhaust gasses would still be res tricted at the back. But what the hell, if you have a set of stock cans, might as well try it. Take one for the group!
----
I don't get your point...if you go in from the back or the front you are still leaving at least one baffle in place (most bafflectomys anyway)...so restriction is the same eitherway...my point was if going in from the front would produce a different/better tone.
TED

Beaman

Two Stroke
You'll never get the same amount of sleep as before, Thrux - but it does get better. Congrats on the new baby!

DSCN5048.jpg

DSCN5067.jpg

DSCN5068.jpg

DSCN5070.jpg

DSCN5071.jpg

DSCN5073.jpg

DSCN5074.jpghallo....at all
proposal from italy..
after blaffectomy i have cutted the termila... 5 cm...
and have aplied an inox 304...terminal botto...
whath do yuo think...of this?????

etherman

Scooter
:huh:Looks good, punch a couple of holes in the rear most baffle plate now and you should be good to go.:cheers: