Oil - The official thread

pz1p

Two Stroke
i've use amsoil for awhile, but changed to mobil v-twin 20-50, easier to find than amsoil, haven't noticed any difference in performance, gears change good and no clutch slippage. use the purlator filter, the cute yellow one.

L Train

Scooter
I currently use the Mobile 1 right now, but will probably switch with the next oil change.

Hey KFrame, I've seen those ads for "Nitron with Ricin" too, im also curious if anyone has acutally tried this stuff.

Cheers!

L Train

Joey Vegas

Scooter
i changed my oil two weeks ago to the official mobil 1 racing oil.

i haven't noticed too much of a change with the shifting of the gears (my bike was new last year) and i don't ride as much as i would like.

but if you want to buy the mobil 1 oil, a tip for you. call for a local mobil distribution center. i purchased mine at one and it was much cheaper than doing it at a retailer.

Hedge

American Infidel
There was a list of compatible oil filters somewhere...anyone got it?

Edit: Purolator 14612 (cheap here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H81CDO/ref=nosim/?tag=fatwalletcom&linkCode=as1)

Mobil 1 M1-108 filter

Here are a few numbers that might be useful. :D
NAPA....1358
Wix....51358
Baldwin...B1400
Fram.....Ph6017a
Hastings.....LF113
A/C......PF2135
Purolator.....ML16817 - (I'm not sure if that is the PureOne, or the standard Purolator filter.) Carquest, and NAPA filters are made by Wix.
Purolator Pure One 14612CARQUEST......85358
The oil filter is easy to find its the same as a 2007 Subaru Forester uses,
pl-14612.

Bonneville1

Scooter
I change oil and filter each spring after the winter lay up, I will use semi synthetic from Halfords which is an own brand product.

MattRat

TT Racer
I'm sure this is no big deal to most of you, but I'm feeling pretty good about myself today.

I changed my oil, by myself, with no problems, before 8am.

That may not be interesting, but it's the first time I've done it and not paid someone else to do it in about 20 years...

Last oil change @ dealer: $170

this one (including buying tools for the job) about $40

Lobo

Scooter
list of filters

Someone asked for a list of filters. I have had this for years. I have been partial to the Bosch only because I can find it in the local auto store along with Mobil Vtwin oil. My last change I went to Shell Rotella dino.
Here ya go...

THIS IS A COPY OF THE PREVIOUS LIST OF FILTERS: Here is the unabridged list of what will fit the Bonnie: Motorcycle-Specific Filters. · AC Delco PF2135 · AMSOil SMF103 · FRAM PH6017A · Honda 15410-MCJ-000, · K&N KN-191, Has a metric nut on the end for easy removal. · NAPA Gold 1358, Carquest 85358, WIX 51358 · Purolator Motorcycle ML16817 Imported, not made by Purolator. · STP SMO 07 Automobile Filters, about 2.5 inches long · Mobil M1-108, · Purolator Pure One PL14612 · Bosch 3300 · WalMart SuperTech ST6607 Made by Champion. · AC Delco PF1237 · NAPA Gold 1365 · Purolator L14622 · STP S-02876 · Baldwin B1400. · Hastings LF113. I do not recommend the following filters on the Bonnie, because they are 3/4" longer than stock, and there might be a clearance issue. Automobile Filters, about 3.25 inches long · Bosch 3323 · Mobil 1 M1-110 · Purolator Pure One PL14610 · Purolator L14610 · NAPA Gold 1356, Carquest 85356, WIX 51356 · Deutsch D-370 · AC Delco PF-2057 · Motorcraft Long Life FL-821 · STP S-02867 · FRAM, Castrol, Penske 7317 · Baldwin B1402. · Hastings LF240.

BobM

Two Stroke
Lobo,
Thanks for that post, It listed out several I never knew would fit.
Also thanks to everyone else for your experienced info.

Bucky

gunt aficionado
I'm switching from Rotella synth year 'round, to Rotella synth in Winter, & the fancy schmancy Mobil 4 T bottled for Triumph stuff in Summer / warm weather

I got into a traffic jam near Woostah MA the other day in 100 degree F on the asphalt weather. (Thank you baby Jesus for mesh clothing) As the oil temp got to around 230 F and I bailed to the shoulder and nearest exit, I was kinda wishing I had the Mobil 1 on board in that it's a full class 5 synth, whereas the Rotella is a synth / dino oil blend. I did my 25K oil change Friday, and went back to the 4 T for now.

FWIW, the Rotella synth drain oil tests out just fine at Blackstone labs, even at my miserly 5,000 mile change intervals. I would venture a guess that the new Rotella synth formulation for ULSD engines would work just fine too.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.html

Blackstone maintains an analysis database of Triumph results, and compares your results to the database averages.

Last edited:

The_Dog33

Scooter
Her are oils and filters for Speedmaster and America from BA.com as posted by Dinqua , a member there.
OIL

Amsoil - MCV SAE 20W-50 Synthetic
Mobil 1 4Mxt
Mobil 1 Mx4T 10W40
Mobil 1 4Mt Motorcycle Oil 10W40
Mobil 1 "V Twin" 20/50 Oil
Mobil 1 Gold Cap
Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 (Higher?)
Rotella 10W-40
LUCAS Motorcycle oil, full synthetic 20W50 and 10W40 for $8.20 a quart. Found at an Auto parts store here in Indy called O'Reilly's. Steve

FILTERS

NAPA Gold 1358 (There have been several problems with the 1365)
K&N KN-191
Wix 51358
Bosch 3300
Supertech 6607
PureONE PL14612 (MC - ML16817 or ML16819)
Baldwin B1400
Amsoil EAOM103 (black)
Amsoil EAOM103C (chrome)
Mobil M1-108 (Champion)
STP SMO 17

This is my opinion not part of the post from Dinqua.
I wouldn't run Rotella in my lawnmower , nothing but Amsoil or Mobil 4T for me. They compare very close and much better than anything else in friction tests in all the tests done.

Topher0268

Scooter
KLOTZ 15-50
red and it smells good too
$6/qt at the MX races
MOBIL 1 15-50 from Walmart @ $19 for 5 qts

You know ....

I've been using the same oil because I live in Nowheresville Illinois. Not the Chicago metro stuff but mid state, eastern side, we know how to pronounce "Terre Haute". We have two things in this area ........... Nothing and corn.

So I don't have the options that some of you have unless I want to order it and I'm not that forward thinking. So I've used the Mobile 1 15-50 bought at Wal-mart (hey everyone's got a Wal-mart right?). The automotive stuff not the V-Twin oil. No clutch slippage to speak of and no problems. Not much to compare it to though.

The_Dog33

Scooter
Have to be careful with auto oils, they have friction modifiers in some of them and that is bad for bikes. Oil designed for cars also doesn't have the resistance to shear needed for the transmission in bikes in many cases.

T

tattooedcouple

MOBIL 1 full synthetic from Walmart is what i always used..my brother has 22,000 on his thunderbird and that is all he ever used...we both run the dog shit out of our bikes...Never a problem

drlapo

Hooligan
Mobil 1 15-50 does not have a high enough level of friction modifiers to worry about, its not an energy conserving oil, the 5-20 and 5-30s have the most friction modifiers so far the WalMart Mobil1 is working fine in our Thruxton, Speed Triple, Daytona 675 , Street Triple, Monster 620 and Ninja 500

MattRat

TT Racer
There was a list of compatible oil filters somewhere...anyone got it?
here is what I could find:

Purolator 14612 (cheap here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H81CDO/ref=nosim/?tag=fatwalletcom&linkCode=as1)
Buy 3 2-packs and get free shipping - Hedge and I are splitting that so we're averaging $3/filter for the next 3 oil changes.

the rebate on that offer is only good for 2 filters, but order 3 2-packs and you'll get free shipping, so factoring that all in, we're looking at about $3.50 per filter, and from my reading this is one of the better filters around for this application. (Not that I know jack shit about oil filters)

drlapo

Hooligan
be carefull with 0w-40 from Mobil 1 I understand it shears very quickly in the gearbox and breaks down in 1000 +/- miles
the 10w 40 is fine
see "Bob is the oil guy.com" for details

WyoBonnie

Scooter
I keep seeing ads in the classic bike mags about some weird oil called "Nitron with Ricin"

Sounds like a WMD to me, but supposedly it's good stuff for parallel twins.

Anyone heard of this stuff? Any good? Or is it snake oil?
:confused:
-K

A search on google came up with "ELF Lubricants" -- seems to be some sort of partnership with Total and Fina gas stations -- also seems to be quite Italian. Many of the links on the site (at least the ones I clicked on) were broken.

I could not find anywhere on the site what the ricin stuff was. The oil comes in 3 varieties, a Blue, Green (both semi-synthetic) and Red (full syn). Searching for someone that sells the stuff turned up a few places (google will find 'em for you) but it was $16 a liter (not quart - a liter is a little smaller than a quart). With shipping, it would probably come out to $20 a quart!!

No idea if it is worth it or not -- right now, I get the impression that the selling point is that it comes in a metal can with some cool art work and it has an "ol' timey castor oil smell".

I'd be willing to give it a go.... after someone else goes first and tells us about it!

Last edited: