Oil - The official thread

rodburner

Rocker
I use Motul 5100 Ester 15W50. Its imported from France so it's got to be good. And it smells better than any oil on the market.

Thats some funny shit.My FIRST thought after reading that was "isn`t he afraid it will all run out on him when he needs it most?"
Anyway,Amsoil 20/50 and a Wix filter this time around.

loxpump

Rocker
A search on google came up with "ELF Lubricants" -- seems to be some sort of partnership with Total and Fina gas stations -- also seems to be quite Italian. Many of the links on the site (at least the ones I clicked on) were broken.

I could not find anywhere on the site what the ricin stuff was. The oil comes in 3 varieties, a Blue, Green (both semi-synthetic) and Red (full syn). Searching for someone that sells the stuff turned up a few places (google will find 'em for you) but it was $16 a liter (not quart - a liter is a little smaller than a quart). With shipping, it would probably come out to $20 a quart!!

No idea if it is worth it or not -- right now, I get the impression that the selling point is that it comes in a metal can with some cool art work and it has an "ol' timey castor oil smell".

I'd be willing to give it a go.... after someone else goes first and tells us about it!

A liter is actually a little larger than a US quart.

drlapo

Hooligan
ELF= earth liberation front
nature nazis

ELF does a lot of formula 1 stuff and is always at the NYC motorcycle show
i have some of their stickers but never tried the oil
most of today's oils are so good I don't think mortal men could detect a difference

WyoBonnie

Scooter
A liter is actually a little larger than a US quart.

Yeah, I just checked that out -- 1 Liter = 1.0556 Quart. I had always thought it was just a little smaller, my mistake. Don't know if that .0556 makes up for the $16 a can price though....;)

Soulrebel

Street Tracker
The Rotella syn. that I saw at Walmart says for diesel engines. Is this the same stuff?
Been using Mobil 1 4t but I'm broke!

WyoBonnie

Scooter
I'd be willing to give it a go.... after someone else goes first and tells us about it!

After checking the manual to see what API spec is required in my Bonnie, I'd have to change my mind now and say that I would not try it. The Nitron is only API SG and the manual specifies API SH. (most likely, no difference(,) but why risk it?... especially at $16 a liter)

Ricin

Ricin is a poison found naturally in castor beans. It has a very distinctive odor.
The reason it's put in there is to give the oil the fragrance of Castrol R,which is a castor bean oil used by racers back in the old days.

(Castrol=castor oil)

Before synthetics,it was the only thing that would keep a big 4 stroke single,such as a Norton Manx,or BSA Goldstar alive through a 500 mile race.It was also the preferred oil for pre-mix two strokes.

Even on 4 strokes,you could smell the bean oil in the exhaust.

That ELF oil probably works fine,but I wouldn't waste my money on it.If you want the smell of Castrol R,just get a can of it(it's still available),and mix a little in your gas.

By the way,a few pages back I posted that I use Castrol R in my bike.That was a JOKE! Don't put that stuff in your engine.It's a one time use,non detergent oil.After it's heated,it cools down into a sticky congealed mess.It would probably ruin your clutch immediatley,and what it might do to the gearbox,I don't want to think about. I should have been more clear.Sorry.

Ricin is also used in biological weapons.

Cheers!
Bruce

Where the hella Rotella?

Sweat et al,

Where does on get the Rotella? It appears to be a Shell product. WalMart? Costco? Do tell brother man...do tell.

Cheers,

PS

Thanks to John for turning me on to this site.

SK

Castrol

I use Castrol in everything I own that has a motor. My Bonnie Black gets Castrol RSR44TT (full synthetic) 10-50.

Never had a mechanical breakdown since I switched to Castrol oil 40 yrs ago. Put 200k+ trouble free miles on several vehicles I've owned. It works for me , why change??????

Last edited:

Hedge

American Infidel
I use Castrol in everything I own that has a motor. My Bonnie Black gets Castrol VT (full synthetic) 10-40. Will switch to 20-50 when it gets a few more miles on it.

Never had a mechanical breakdown since I switched to Castrol oil 40 yrs ago. Put 200k+ trouble free miles on several vehicles I've owned. It works for me , why change??????
To tell you the truth - I love 20-50 castrol as well and have run it in most of my vehicles as well!!

drlapo

Hooligan
Castrol is a semi synthetic and is not in the same catagory as the full synthetics like Mobil1 Castrol is modified dino oil
that's not to say it is not suitable for use in our bikes

I got my Rotella for 12 bones! It's pretty good stuff and I have no complaints after 3k miles. I also like using the K&N filter because the nut makes it a breeze to install and remove.

normandy

Street Tracker
Castrol is a semi synthetic and is not in the same catagory as the full synthetics like Mobil1 Castrol is modified dino oil
that's not to say it is not suitable for use in our bikes

Castrol also sells a FULL synthetic oil too.

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
Oil for Aussies

Penrite hpr15 semi synthetic - 15w / 60w It is Australian made and owned so it is my choice. No stinkin yankee or frog oil for me :p

- so many of the foreign synthetic oils in Australia are extremely expensive or, once you check out the additives, not suitable for bike engines (clutch using the engine oil) - so take your time to shop around for a good price - i get mine the cheapest from super cheap auto.

Last edited:
I use Amsoil fully synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil and it seems to work great. I get it a Canadian Tire but it is still $13 a litre. I change it every 5 or 6 thousand km. I am switching from the oem filter to a K&N (good filter and it has that nut on the bottom for easy removal).

Kframe

Street Tracker
How come people need the nut on the end of some of these filters?

That's WAAAAY too tight.
I was taught to spin it til it stops, and then hand-tighten another 1/2 turn.
Ride it, let it cool, and snug it up another 1/4 turn.

The rubber o-ring actually performs better when not over-tightened; just right and it still is 'rubbery', too tight and it can get a weird ripple that encourages leaking.

$.02, -K