Oil - The official thread

MattRat

TT Racer
May as well nip this one right now. All Oil questions should be directed here.
Begin your inane discussion of why the full synthetic isn't right and you're gonna use Dino because you know better than the guy who built the bike...

Last edited:

NewOldSchool

Two Stroke
I'm with sweat on that. I use the same and all that I could find online about it says its a pretty good quality oil as well. I could tell no difference when I switched from M1 to Rotella execpt in my mod fund.

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
I use rotella synthetic also. Thier dino is great stuff too, it really keeps it visco under the heat and pressure. Either one and you can't go wrong.

Greg

TeeBee

scooter
I use whatever the nice chap in the Triumph dealership wants to sell me. :D

And what is more, I'll change it every 5.000 kms, just for peace of mind.

Hedge

American Infidel
I got the 500 mile Mobile 1 expensive $200 + service oil in her right now; but I plan on changing my oil petty soon as she approaches 4000k. I'll probably check back and see how this thread is rolling. I got several oil filters that I bought off some guy who bailed out on Bonneville's all together along with many other assorted stuff.

Dawgone

Two Stroke
I use Repsol Full Synthetic 10-50. It's gawd awfull expensive. But after doing the first valve check at 12k I found the cams run in plain aluminum. No Bearings. I don't want that shit wearing.

It's API-SJ which exceeds Triumphs recommendation on both my bikes. Works really well with the Clutch & Tranny in the Thruxton. (I slippage issues after the NARK)

In the end I might pay as much for the oil as I would have for a new head after 100,000 miles, but I sleep really well at night, so there ya go!

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
I used the Mobil 1 once. I noticed in the site window it looked foamed up. Ewe! That was shortly replaced with cheaper stuff.

Retro is better

I use 30W dino oil without additives, about every 12,000 miles. Those new additives are actually detrimental for air-cooled engines, and the oil passes the heat better in the radiator without additives. Synthetics can corrode your aluminum and will start leaking from the resultant hairline cracks in your engine case. :D

And vinyl records sound better than CDs.

Seriously, I use Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil once a year, with a Purolator Pure One 14612 filter, whether it needs it or not.

KingBear

Hooligan
I used Mobil 1 and OEM filters for both oil changes (I only have 4,800 miles on my bike) but I'm open to the possibility of using Amsoil. I haven't read of anyone who used it and didn't like it. I'm sure I will now, though. :p

husk01

moped
I use Motul 5100 Ester 15W50. Its imported from France so it's got to be good. And it smells better than any oil on the market.

Kframe

Street Tracker
I keep seeing ads in the classic bike mags about some weird oil called "Nitron with Ricin"

Sounds like a WMD to me, but supposedly it's good stuff for parallel twins.

Anyone heard of this stuff? Any good? Or is it snake oil?
:confused:
-K