NEW Bonnie

Mark

750cc
tumblr_nwwlpaKyUx1rx483xo1_540.jpg

This is the Thruxton R, with a 1200cc engine delivering a stonking 112Nm of torque at at 4950 rpm. (Yes, it’s now liquid cooled.) You also get twin upswept exhausts with reverse-megaphone end cans, three riding modes (Road, Rain and Sport), clip-on bars and a ‘Flip top’ Monza style gas cap. The ‘R’ bit means lots of Brembo hardware: twin floating discs, racing monobloc calipers and a master cylinder. Suspension is fully-adjustable Showa big piston forks and Öhlins shocks.

from bike exif

Motley

750cc
I've been shopping around for a used Thruxton/Bonneville...I think I'm gonna hold off and get a T120 next year. I'm still keeping my '05 Thruxton, but that R spec looks feckin' gorgeous!

Clyde12

Scooter
tumblr_nwwlpaKyUx1rx483xo1_540.jpg

This is the Thruxton R, with a 1200cc engine delivering a stonking 112Nm of torque at at 4950 rpm. (Yes, it’s now liquid cooled.) You also get twin upswept exhausts with reverse-megaphone end cans, three riding modes (Road, Rain and Sport), clip-on bars and a ‘Flip top’ Monza style gas cap. The ‘R’ bit means lots of Brembo hardware: twin floating discs, racing monobloc calipers and a master cylinder. Suspension is fully-adjustable Showa big piston forks and Öhlins shocks.

from bike exif

Wow, I'm usually an "old school" traditionalist, but I really like it. I can even forgive the water cooling.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
I like that Thruxton R too.
I was thinking about keeping my T100, and buying a Tiger 800 for long trips.
Now I don't know what I'm going to do.
Maybe wait and see.

drlapo

Hooligan
I missed the Ducati Sport Classics and don't want to miss this
I probably can't handle the clip ons and rearsets anymore so I'll have to check out the T120

D9

Vendor
Have been studying the new bikes so intensely over the last
few days, my retinas are burning... fallen rather in love with the
upscale Thruxton. Already working on ideas for the new bikes... should
be an interesting winter :D

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Seth,

I've hardly looked at what is out there for photos, but the 2 things I've noticed in my cursory look at pics are:

• The sprocket cover has to go on all the models I've seen...or at least the stocker needs a serious reworking.

• Looking at the clock mount on the Street 900 model, this needs help...the ignition pushes the clock out front so far that it looks odd to my eye. Something that brings this in tighter would help a lot.

My gut feeling on these machines is that the complexity has risen high enough that only well sorted kits for anything other than cosmetics will be within the skills of most riders to implement. The days of ad hoc wiring harness diets, custom clocks (due to CANBUS limitations), brake caliper upgrades, etc. are over....only well engineered solution will work.

It will be interesting to see where tuners take the motor as well...in stock trim, it appears to be mildly tuned and very cruiser-like in its power delivery. My prediction is that aftermarket cam grinds and ignitor upgrades will continue to be popular. Especially for the thruxton model, which riders will expect to make power up top.

I know there is speculation on the forums that 'Triumph beat the custom garages at their own game'. I don't see that because the folks building customs will still deliver products that you can't buy out of the factory. People who buy customs want one-off creations. I see lots of opportunity for the aftermarket with these machines...

Cheers,

--Rich

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I just cant stand the fake monoblocs, the fucking fake points cover. or the fact that the thruxton R starts at 14.5. with the track package and fairing i'd wager closer to 16.5.
Also, yeah that sprocket cover is shit. so is all the electronic crap. Gone are the days of motorcycle simplicity I fear.

D9

Vendor
Rich,
Spot-on observations - you were reading my mind , scary thought even on halloween :eek:
I'm on it.
TX... easy now... not sure if I can deal with everything all at once :D

Mark

750cc
There will always be people who don't like it, I get that. If it goes like it's got more than 100 horse cool because that's one thing my T100 hasn't got, but if it costs as much as an 899, think I'll pass.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
On the power front, the torque curve falls off at 6K and packs it in by 7K rpms...using the available torque data, the 1200 motor makes about 100 crank hp. Which translates into about 87 or 88 RWHP. Nothing exceptional about that.

Which is why I think there will be a line forming for cam and ignitor upgrades. Similar to what can be expected from an out of the box 865 motor, these liquid cooled monsters will probably be able to go an extra 25% or so in the RWHP department simply by opening up the breathing, upping the cam lift/duration, and giving it the rpm potential to unlock HP in the 6,000 to 8,000 rpm interval. How much can be expected from the stock throttle bodies/injectors will probably be the limiting factor...not that boring them out isn't something to explore.

It'll be interesting. For someone else, that is, because I'm probably not going to sign up for that chore any time soon.

Cheers,

--Rich

strokerlmt

Rich....I am with you....My 865 to 988cc 813 cams had over 90 horse power. I loved the power especially on the highway. 1200cc I would have expected more HP and Torque.
LMT