NEW Bonnie

strokerlmt

My 03 Blue and White T100 sold new in January 04 was $7800 out the door delievered to me 3.5 hrs South of the dealer.
LMT

Mark

750cc
This is what they wrote after the release:

The compression increase and a freer-flowing airbox produce a high and very smooth torque curve, one that Triumph claims peaks at 80 pound-feet at 5,000 rpm, a huge jump from the previous model. More impressive was the breadth of the curve that was briefly flashed on screen at the press launch, with torque staying within 10 percent of peak from 3,000 rpm almost to the 7,000-rpm redline. If that holds for production, the stock Thruxtons will approach the 100-hp level.

Motley

750cc
This is what they wrote after the release:

The compression increase and a freer-flowing airbox produce a high and very smooth torque curve, one that Triumph claims peaks at 80 pound-feet at 5,000 rpm, a huge jump from the previous model. More impressive was the breadth of the curve that was briefly flashed on screen at the press launch, with torque staying within 10 percent of peak from 3,000 rpm almost to the 7,000-rpm redline. If that holds for production, the stock Thruxtons will approach the 100-hp level.

100hp out of a 1200cc mill isn't much to write home about though, is it?

Mark

750cc
100hp out of a 1200cc mill isn't much to write home about though, is it?

No it isn't, the 675 has more, but that isn't the purpose of the design. They wanted to bring the Bonnie forward, meet new emissions regs and up grade the whole package. If 80 lb ft of torque doesn't get your attention better brakes and suspension plus a proper tire should. At 1200 cc's I would say that motor is waaay under stressed.

innominate

Street Tracker
It's similar torque numbers to what the r nine t produces. So I would hope the hp numbers would be similar too.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
More impressive was the breadth of the curve that was briefly flashed on screen at the press launch, with torque staying within 10 percent of peak from 3,000 rpm almost to the 7,000-rpm redline. If that holds for production, the stock Thruxtons will approach the 100-hp level.

The calcs I did using the 93 N-M torque value at 7,000 rpms - the implied redline /torque value read off of the curves at the link I posted earlier in this thread - results in a about 92 HP...at the crank. Going down to 6,000 rpms, the torque is maybe 109 N-M and the HP again sits at about 92. So the overall feeling of building power up top won't be there and the motor is basically done by 6K rpms.

To give this machine the ability to bounce off the limiter with authority, new cams and a way to adequately feed it up top will need to be developed. In the meantime, it will be a polite, nicely mannered machine...<yawn>...

Regards,

--Rich

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Well, the specs for the Street Twin are here:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...neville-pricing-and-specs-revealed/30573.html

The good news is that it's down on weight by nearly 20 lbs., has 59 ft. lbs. of torque, and it has ABS.

The bad news is that it is only sporting 54 HP at the crank and comes with the same, sad suspension.

So for the same basic $$s as the air cooled bikes, you get significantly less get up and go, the same need for suspension upgrades, and ABS. I think I'm keeping my Thruxton. Forever.

Regards,

--Rich

drlapo

Hooligan
a bit heavier than a Guzzi V7 and a few more HP
the Guzzi has horrible rear shocks and basic forks
the weight reduction is worthwhile
so not all that exciting but a bit of progress

Mark

750cc
The street twin is an entry level/girls bike, which Triumph also needs. I like the new Thruxton way better than the old one....on paper.

Motley

750cc
The street twin is an entry level/girls bike, which Triumph also needs. I like the new Thruxton way better than the old one....on paper.

"Girls bike"? Jeezus Mark go look at the girls on this forum (Babes on Bikes) and on the ADV forum, the vast majority of 'em are on Bonnevilles and Thruxtons (NTTAWWT). We're all riding girls bikes. :poke:

The new Thruxtons are the dog's bollocks though.

Last edited:

Mark

750cc
I guess you missed the reference, the conversation was about the street twin. I stand by the statement that its entry level.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Not that I am dissing anyone here that will be going for a new T-120 or Thruxton, but I personally don't want a parallel twin with 1200 cc motor. I like a light & nimble chassis fitted with a motor that will give decent torque and readily spins up/bounce off the limiter with authority.

I don't see any reason why one can't pull that off with the 900 cc mill, once it is opened up a bit and properly tuned. The wheelbase on the Street Twin is shorter than our current air cooled machines and it should handle as good or better than a mag wheel bonnie. If some creative tuning is successful in extracting decent RWHP (upper 70's or 80 ponies) from the Street Twin, I definitely see it as a possible candidate for a coveted spot in my stable....girls bike or not.

My disappointment in how this model was positioned (i.e. basically a cruiser in retro drag) is certainly tempered by optimism on where it can be taken by the rider...

Cheers,

--Rich