New Bonnie owner! - questions...

tbirdsp

Scooter
Thanks - Yellow ones are already gone, just after the pic.

I already have the fly screen ordered, will get the solo seat eventually too. Probably will install new grips, NEP throttle lock, and Battery Tender hookup tomorrow.
I have a really screwed up right shoulder so a throttle lock is almost a must. :hurt:

Last edited:

tbirdsp

Scooter
I've got shoulder probs as well, ever thought about Genmar risers? Huge help here!....

:sidecar:

The stock bars on my Bonnie are actually pretty comfortable for me.

Here's a nasty pic. :eek:Metal stuff is from Dec 2004 (crashed DR-Z400S in the dirt locally, had "hemiarthoplasty" of right shoulder), broken bone around it is from Apr 22, 2010 (crashed KLX250S on single track near Moab, Utah. Broke humerus below/around rod). I got lucky, it's healing pretty well without surgery.
Already sold my KLX250S, have a KDX200 for sale now. Had to buy the Bonnie to make me feel better...;)
Sh1.jpg

Last edited:
The stock bars on my Bonnie are actually pretty comfortable for me.

Here's a nasty pic. :eek:Metal stuff is from Dec 2004 (crashed DR-Z400S in the dirt locally, had "hemiarthoplasty" of right shoulder), broken bone around it is from Apr 22, 2010 (crashed KLX250S on single track near Moab, Utah. Broke humerus below/around rod). I got lucky, it's healing pretty well without surgery.
Already sold my KLX250S, have a KDX200 for sale now. Had to buy the Bonnie to make me feel better...;)
Sh1.jpg

Holy Shi--!

tbirdsp

Scooter
Yes, people think I'm :crazy::nut: for still riding. Especially doctors...
My friends who ride seem to understand though :ride:

tbirdsp

Scooter
Some impressions after putting 600 miles on the Bonnie (no news flashes here though):

Yep - the shocks suck, fork is marginal. Man, every frost heave sends a sharp pain through my bad shoulder. I'm on a budget so I ordered the Ikon 7610's, should be here Wednesday. Eventually I'll do the Intiminators in the forks and install gaiters at the same time.

To me the bike seems to run well all stock.:d Yeah, it's quiet. I did buy an AI removal kit, not sure I'll even mess with it. It really likes to lope along at a GPS-indcated 65 mph or so, but will cruise faster no problem. As we all know, the stupid speedo is ~9 mph off.

I'm 5'9" and the seat/peg distance is a little close. My ankles start to hurt after a while. I think I may go with the solo seat. The one I looked at in the showroom was about 1" thicker. Stock seat is actually fairly comfortable for me though.

I'm kinda worried the fly screen is going to screw up the aerodynamics. That was the case with my TBS, but I liked the looks so I just wore earpligs and lived with it. Currently with no screen my head is in smooth airflow, but if I put my hand down about where the top of the flyscreen will be I get a rumble coming up under my chin.

Still really happy with the bike:woot:

I've got the craftsman jack for light everyday use. However with the weight of it, I'm not too sure I'd be able to lift it and hang it from hooks mounted on the wall. :D

If I'm going to be working on the bike for a while, I built this:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/126239-low-cost-bike-bench.html

I've since added a Harbor Freight front wheel chock to keep the bike from wanting to roll off the front end when cinching down the tie-downs. Also helps to stabilize the bike while up on the bench.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Some impressions after putting 600 miles on the Bonnie (no news flashes here though):

Yep - the shocks suck, fork is marginal. Man, every frost heave sends a sharp pain through my bad shoulder. I'm on a budget so I ordered the Ikon 7610's, should be here Wednesday. Eventually I'll do the Intiminators in the forks and install gaiters at the same time.

To me the bike seems to run well all stock.:d Yeah, it's quiet. I did buy an AI removal kit, not sure I'll even mess with it. It really likes to lope along at a GPS-indcated 65 mph or so, but will cruise faster no problem. As we all know, the stupid speedo is ~9 mph off.

I'm 5'9" and the seat/peg distance is a little close. My ankles start to hurt after a while. I think I may go with the solo seat. The one I looked at in the showroom was about 1" thicker. Stock seat is actually fairly comfortable for me though.

I'm kinda worried the fly screen is going to screw up the aerodynamics. That was the case with my TBS, but I liked the looks so I just wore earpligs and lived with it. Currently with no screen my head is in smooth airflow, but if I put my hand down about where the top of the flyscreen will be I get a rumble coming up under my chin.

Still really happy with the bike:woot:
The alloy wheel bonny rides different tban the wire wheeled EFI bike. You would be well served to change the shocks and go with 1/2" more travel as with the T100. I haven't touched the suspension on my '09 T100 as I feel for a stock bike it is excellent but the alloy wheel bike doesn't ride the same. Also consider running lower tire pressures. The seat which you say you like puts a bit more pressure on your feet as has a lower profile than the T100 seat..so consider changing or adding padding...or go with rearsets which are popular as well. Removing the AI off an EFI makes the throttle response smoother. The fueling on the EFI can be improved with a different map and some tuning. The stock exhaust suck and most agree there.
These are great bikes for sensible riding on the street. With a bit of tuning they put out excellent power and torque and lots of smiles per mile.
You don't have to explain to us why you still ride after your accident. We get it. Mend up and in time I hope you ride pain free.

tbirdsp

Scooter
Thanks Chris. I already ordered the shocks in stock length, so they will have to do. Got to be better than the OEMs.
I did some comparison in the showroom and did indeed see that the T100 seat has about 1" more padding. I'm probably going to go with the Triumph Solo seat. It was the same thickness as the T100 seat.
I'm a fan of EFI but it kinda sucks having to depend on a dealer for tuning or fork out the $$$ for a Power Commander or Tuneboy. My dealer already told me you "couldn't" remove the AI from an EFI bike (I don't buy it). It's still under warranty so I don't really want to turn around and do what he told me not to. I wish there was a way to get the air injectors out without breaking them off so a deep well socket will fit.

DIRK

750cc
nice work space, so is the sand for those who follow to far back to see you throw it about?

phil

Street Tracker
nice bike, I've got 2500k on 2010 bonnie se and not a lick of problem. Its good on gas and its plenty zippy for around the city and on the highway.

tbirdsp

Scooter
So - after a little research over on T-rat, I did a AI *disable* rather than a removal:p Basically you just stick something (I used some 3/8" ID copper plumbing plugs) into the rubber tubes just upstream of the AI injectors, effectively blocking the system. I didn't really note any smoother throttle response - but I never thought it was a problem anyway. However - even with the quiet stock mufflers I could hear and feel the popping when I was off-throttle with the AI enabled. Now it seems to be almost gone. Once I get free flowing mufflers and a remap and the bike is out of warranty I'll do a proper AI removal.
Also installed the Ikon 7610 shocks. They are a definite improvement over stock, not earth-shattering though. About what I expected from $300 shocks. The stock shocks damn near felt like a rigid rear end, now the suspension at least moves some. I also like the black springs on my black Bonnie.

fletcher

Scooter
Hi Mike, I've got a 2010 SE A1. Yes, the stock suspension ain't great. I swapped to Progressive 412s and it's a much nicer ride. I'm thinking about doing the fork springs too. I've noticed popping when rolling off the throttle so might follow your lead and disable the AI too - once I'm out of warranty!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks Chris. I already ordered the shocks in stock length, so they will have to do. Got to be better than the OEMs.
I did some comparison in the showroom and did indeed see that the T100 seat has about 1" more padding. I'm probably going to go with the Triumph Solo seat. It was the same thickness as the T100 seat.
I'm a fan of EFI but it kinda sucks having to depend on a dealer for tuning or fork out the $$$ for a Power Commander or Tuneboy. My dealer already told me you "couldn't" remove the AI from an EFI bike (I don't buy it). It's still under warranty so I don't really want to turn around and do what he told me not to. I wish there was a way to get the air injectors out without breaking them off so a deep well socket will fit.
tbird,
you can get the AI injector tubes off without a deep socket but it is far easier to break them off. A conventional spanner open end wrench won't do it. Not enough clearance. You need an offset spanner. Again it is a lot easier to break them off and then finding some that another member has removed for replacement IF you ever have to reinstate the AI. Your dealer isn't being cool about removing the AI. Some Triumph dealers offer this service on EFI bikes and retain warranty.
Good Luck.

Tbird,

I've got an 09 mag wheel base bonnie. I installed the BC EFI performance package with BC Sleepers, AI elimination and Airbox removal.

I had no problem removing the AI with a Craftsman box end wrench. No scratching or breaking. You can experiment for yourself, you may be surprised as to how easily the AI comes out, or maybe I just got lucky.

I had the dealer program it with the Arrow 2 into2 map. I am very pleased with the performance improvement. No adverse effects at all.

tbirdsp

Scooter
Just to clarify - the dealer I bought this bike from is probably one of the best in the country. They didn't say anything about not honoring the warranty if I removed the AI - just that they heard it shouldn't be done on an EFI bike. When I had my TBS they fixed one thing under warranty and a few for free even when I was out of warranty - and I didn't even buy the bike from them originally.
I'll probably just go with the TOR's, but from the sound clips I've listened to I kinda like the sound quality of the Predators. I don't want it to be too loud though. Exhaust will most likely be by last mod though. I'm going to get the solo seat A9700134 first. Already have a black Renntec rack on order (backorder).

Last edited:

Gretsch

Rocker
I'll probably just go with the TOR's, but from the sound clips I've listened to I kinda like the sound quality of the Predators. I don't want it to be too loud though. Exhaust will most likely be by last mod though. I'm going to get the solo seat A9700134 first. Already have a black Renntec rack on order (backorder).

Get the Predators. You will not regret.