New Bonnie owner! - questions...

TXRider60

Scooter
Congratulations (to both of us, I guess): I got my 2009 new from the dealer last week, so your first trip input is helpful! Mine seems identical to yours-- I even moved the "Givi knock-off case" (looks like the one in your photos) from my old BMW to the Bonnie-- but repainted it first, since it didn't seem "black enough". I did opt for the MC Enterprises rack, but it was easy to install and seems to work well. I envy your living in an area which is a few degrees cooler... We did a ride in the Big Bend area of TX, last month, and a thermometer on a friend's ST1300 said "107" when we stopped to gas up in Terlingua.

tbirdsp

Scooter
I envy your living in an area which is a few degrees cooler...

Sure 'bout that?:)

Chistmas_09_013.jpg

tbirdsp

Scooter
Sorry I haven't replied/posted for a while. Right after the Bonnie trip we went up to Wisconsin for my in-law's 50th anniversary. Rented 2 cabins near Hayward.

Finally got around to washing the Bonnie. Also put it back in solo mode and installed the new fly screen. Haven't test ridden it with the screen yet. Hopefully it doesn't screw up the airflow too bad.
I gotta say that chain maintenance is a PITA on this thing. I cut a piece of cardboard to use as a shield so I don't get lube all over the place. It sucks only having access to the tiny area on the bottom run above the muffler though.
Speed3Chris - except for I-80 to Des Moines, we took backroads. We've done this informal ride off and on for the past 13 years or so. The roads are OK, but we mainly came up with the route so it could be done in a weekend without taking any time off of work. My bike did fine, although the heat and pain in my bad shoulder kinda wore me out.
I'm not real big on swapping bikes - heard too many stories of guys wrecking their friend's bikes. Not that I don't trust these other guys, but you never know what might happen (other idiots on the road, deer, etc). Scott's R1200RT was only 5 days old.:)

I have another trip planned to the good roads in the Ozarks of SW MO/NW AR in September. I was planning on riding the ST1100 down, but I may trailer the Bonnie to Joplin MO and ride from there. Mainly because 5 hours of slab on the Bonnie will suck with my bad shoulder.

DSCF1110.jpg

Sorry I haven't replied/posted for a while. Right after the Bonnie trip we went up to Wisconsin for my in-law's 50th anniversary. Rented 2 cabins near Hayward.

Finally got around to washing the Bonnie. Also put it back in solo mode and installed the new fly screen. Haven't test ridden it with the screen yet. Hopefully it doesn't screw up the airflow too bad.
I gotta say that chain maintenance is a PITA on this thing. I cut a piece of cardboard to use as a shield so I don't get lube all over the place. It sucks only having access to the tiny area on the bottom run above the muffler though.
Speed3Chris - except for I-80 to Des Moines, we took backroads. We've done this informal ride off and on for the past 13 years or so. The roads are OK, but we mainly came up with the route so it could be done in a weekend without taking any time off of work. My bike did fine, although the heat and pain in my bad shoulder kinda wore me out.
I'm not real big on swapping bikes - heard too many stories of guys wrecking their friend's bikes. Not that I don't trust these other guys, but you never know what might happen (other idiots on the road, deer, etc). Scott's R1200RT was only 5 days old.:)

I have another trip planned to the good roads in the Ozarks of SW MO/NW AR in September. I was planning on riding the ST1100 down, but I may trailer the Bonnie to Joplin MO and ride from there. Mainly because 5 hours of slab on the Bonnie will suck with my bad shoulder.

DSCF1110.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtKydtoLucc :D