neuroboy's bike shopping adventure

Can't wait to see the bike. Post pictures. I never get sick of looking at the Trips.

I'm really considering selling my Honda when I finish it and getting a Trip.

I'm sure you probably know this (?) but Rizoma makes the absolute best aftermarket parts for these bikes.

Mirrors, sprocket covers, directionals, fenders, valve covers, levers, bars, risers, grips.

Check out their site. They make the absolute best shit.

neuroboy

750cc
Mirrors, sprocket covers, directionals, fenders, valve covers, levers, bars, risers, grips.

oh man, i'm really hoping that a modern bike like this allows for a little backing off of the fever. Even just looking at British Customs it's clear that there's only a fraction of the custom aprts compared to the bonnie. I've looked at a bunch of pics over on triumphrat and there's not much i think i want to do to it other than find some CRG knock-off on ebay, knee pads for the tank, and these rails to use my sport saddlebags. . . possibly a flyscreen.

Bea-u-ti-ful! I'll bet you can't wait to see her parked in your garage.

or at least parked on the street. . . though the rub is that it will be holed up in my folks' garage 30 minutes away starting sometime around t'giving.

neuroboy

750cc
the ride report for the Streetie, as it stands. all i can say is this is a lot of bike in a little package. i had to pick the bike up early this morning because the seller had to be somewhere else all day. it's in the 30s and i was on the back of my buddy's fizzer down to Quincy 30 minutes-ish away. handed him the cash, he signed the title over. done.

i hopped on the Streetie with four layers on and long underwear under my jeans. One block from the riding away, first intersection, took a right and just as the bike was leaning over i rolled over a crosswalk as i rolled on a wee bit of throttle. . . aaand the bike spins out from under me. Damn you, crosswalks!

facepalm.jpg

no real harm done to the bike other than a busted right turn signal, a little rash on a few bolt on parts (end of front brake lever, mirror etc), and i need a new foot brake lever. no harm to me other than my pride and the lamentation that I won't really have a chance to get any real time in the saddle until the Spring. At least I won't have to be waiting for that first drop ;)

A cup of coffee and 20 or 30 minutes to calm down and we were headed back to Boston. From what little time I've had with it I'll say that it's a lot of bike in a wee little package. My only complaint is that it's a bit twitchy on the throttle--magnified by smaller diameter throttle grip (note to self: get larger diameter grips), but that's also me coming from a carb'd twin. Man, this thing is gonna be a blast to ride when I get the hang of it, and for longer trips it's gonna be able to chew up miles without breaking a sweat. Speed-to-rpm it was right in line with my friend's FZ6 but with more grunt in reserve at speed.

Man, I'd really like to have a couple of weeks to ride the bike around and get comfy on the bike, but that's not gonna happen. Come Spring it's going to be like being a new rider all over again (but, of course, wiser than a true newbie). With this little hiccup--plus the incident that had me out getting a new bike in the first place--I've lost a smidge of confidence, but I'll be back in the Spring excited to go through the paces with a new sled.

edit: three hours of relaxation, warming up, watching Premiership matches, and i went and bonded with the new girl. . . removed the right indicator, adjusted the controls to a more comfy postion, and basically gave her pat on the butt and said "i know baby, it wasn't your fault."

Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
Happy for you dude! Sounds like a sweet ride. And I agree, they are great machines, they don't need much more "out of the box" as far as mods go.

neuroboy

750cc
Dumped on day 1? Yeesh! That sucks! Sorry man.

yeah, stinks, but i took it for a spin today i'm still every bit as excited and none the worse for wear. . . just a *very* different bike. i'll end up a *much* smoother rider for it. Case in point, it's amazing how much different and easier to feather the frone brake was with something as simple as using just one finger instead of two. THat's something I would've been scared to do with the single disk of the bonnie, but on the Streetie it's exactly what the doctor ordered.

Also, when it hits about 5500rpm under acceleration it lets out this amazing growl. Not as earsplitting as the bonnie's roar when it really winds up (with D&Ds on). . . maybe more of a snarl but amazing to hear nonetheless. I also kinda like that it doesn't make as much of a racket as the bonnie. I'll say this, too, having had it one day now I'll say that there've already been a few "hey, nice bike, man" comments of guys walking by when I was fiddling with it. it's definitely an eyecatcher.

I'll be dreaming of riding this bike all winter.

Last edited:

neuroboy

750cc
so a couple days after that day 1 dump i noticed the tiniest bit of oil on the ground. re-inspection turned up a wee chip in the clutch cover where the cable enters. the part was back-ordered from triumph. doesn't anyone carry inventory these days?

i found one on ebay and I'm waiting for it to show up. theoretically, i suppose i *could* be riding it, but even though it's a pinhole sized leak i don't really want to. it's killing me to have this weather and no bike.