neuroboy's bike shopping adventure

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
That is just beautiful. I would jump on that....love the symetrical headlights. I don't know the prices. That seeems to be like $1500 off msrp. Good luck - this coming week is predicted to have temps in the 60's!

neuroboy

750cc
the bike looked good, super-clean. unfortunately, he wanted $7500 for a bike that realistically should be mid-$6000s. i said that i've seen two bikes just like it for $6200 and offered $6500 cash. he came down to $7000 and i thanksed him for his time and asked him to drop me an email if he changed his mind.

too bad, but i'm not willing to spend an extra $500 to just put it in a garage for the winter. bummer to have to walk, but another one will turn up.

strokerlmt

the bike looked good, super-clean. unfortunately, he wanted $7500 for a bike that realistically should be mid-$6000s. i said that i've seen two bikes just like it for $6200 and offered $6500 cash. he came down to $7000 and i thanksed him for his time and asked him to drop me an email if he changed his mind.

too bad, but i'm not willing to spend an extra $500 to just put it in a garage for the winter. bummer to have to walk, but another one will turn up.

IMHO ...good move.....500 is a lot of emotional money.....
He my come back after he sleeps on it.
LMT

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Personally I think when you find the right bike $500 is nothing. Not saying you should or shouldn't but - no one ever sat around in their old age with fond memories of the $500 they saved 30 years ago.

mark66

TT Racer
Good move. If it's not worth another $500 to you don't pay it. This time of year here who knows, he may come down in a while if he doesn't sell it. If not, you've got plenty of time to find another one.

neuroboy

750cc
ah yes, we all knew this wasn't the end of it. . . and we have a new development. he came back and said split the difference at 6750.

i'm emailing him back and saying 6600 firm. . . that's at the medium high end of my range. i'm cool with that.

neuroboy

750cc
6600 it is. I'm now, barring something unforseen, the soon-to-be owner of a black '09 Streetie with 2200 miles.

boom!

neuroboy

750cc
Fuck yeah! Congrats, man! I'm sure you'll tell us all about it.

thanks man. $300ish under blue book and--with the gel seat, rear handrail, belly pan, radiator cowls, and frame sliders--it's pretty well set up, too. maybe i'll find a louder horn and I'll need luggage rails to keep bags off the pipes, but that's pretty much it.

first impression from the tentative down-the-block-and-back
--seating position is ever so slightly more pitched than "sit up and beg" of the stock bonnie. . . but not uncomfortably so. . . foot pegs are halfway between stock bonnie and rear sets
--it feels really *light* and compact (both feet on the ground w/ slightly bent legs)
-- the instrument cluster/headlights feel like they're sitting on the front fender. i'll get used to that.

--only negative could possibly be a wider turning radius so it might require an extra forward-and-back when parking, but, man, it's so light that it doesn't really matter.

mondrian5

Scooter
Congrats neuro! Well handled. And you got a beauty of a bike!
Put up some pics when you get a chance. It will look different, now that it's yours.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I think the Guzzi might be a tasty piece. I wouldn't give up my Bonnie for anything, but those Guzzi owners, of whom I know two, would not give up their Vees for love nor money.

mark66

TT Racer
Good deal man!!! You should still have a few days before the snow flies to put some "learning, getting used to the new girl" miles on her.

strokerlmt

Congrats N boy......very nice purchase. 2200 miles is nuttin. You read the seller correctly. Walk away, not to emotional, he starts to think about the fact that you are a real buyer and back he comes. Great deal.....
LMT

neuroboy

750cc
handed over $500 "good faith" cash. . . the guy even drive up from Quincy to pick it up. . . in his words "you drive down on Sunday. there's no reason for you to do all the driving." Nice guy.

I suspect I'll have the Street3 by next weekend. I'm just hoping I get at least a couple decent, not-uncomfortable rides before I have to put it up for the winter. . . and it ain't getting any warmer 'round these parts.

Today was pretty warm man. In fact, my friend went for a ride on his Ducati monster that he bought 3 months ago.

Be careful. People don't expect bikes to be out this time of year. Evidenced by the fact that a car pulled out in front of him and he's been in the hospital since. Broken leg. Broken bike.

Take it easy out there.