My new Triumph!

JEnfield

Street Tracker
My Dealer put the first one on the floor last week. I dont even want to figure out the shit I would have to hear if I brought another bike home. I tossed the idea of the Tiger around but bought a Speed Triple instead. Congrats on it look forward to the reports and videos to come Bud.

Rhodie

Street Tracker
Nice one Bud - Green with envy.
Triumph appear to have finally brought out a bike that can truly scratch & scramble! :woot:
The boxes however appear from pix to be far from fit for purpose and imo I would be looking at TT.
Very interested in reading your impressions of running this beauty in and your choice of farkling.

irishrider60

Scooter
Just wondering

Did you consider the 1050 Tiger? What made you go with the 800? Just was wondering why you went the way you did?

Bonafide

NBR founder
Did you consider the 1050 Tiger? What made you go with the 800? Just was wondering why you went the way you did?

I'd looked it over - even took a demo out a couple times, but it's look just didnt grab me all the way like this one did and for some reason (it also felt too big of a bike in my hands), AND the insurance company tries to corn-hole me when I own a 1000cc bike. I had visited the BMW dealership more than a few times eye-ballin their F800GS - but the price - wtf? Even used, if you can find one .. too much. Plus, I prefer owning/riding a Triumph.

Here's what happened during my visit to the insurance ageny today. The agent types everything up, pulls the Bonnie off the policy and writes this one in .. we chit-chat a bit, she gives me my ins binder for my tag requirements and I'm about to leave when I ask, 'how much is that gonna cost me?' - so she calls Dairyland - asks me a bunch of questions - blah blah blah ... "They want $1450 a year for that bike". Me, "WHAT THE HELL FOR?!?!" After 30 minutes of negotiating, Dairyland offers $850 a year just for that bike. Did I mention I have 3 other bikes and GF has 2 on their insurance? The Agent tells Dairyland, 'thanks .. we'll call you back' and tells me, 'let me shop around for you'. End of the story, she found a company that combines all our bikes on one policy (Dairyland would only write a max of 3 bikes to one policy), gives us MORE coverage (uninsured motorist +$3500 aftermarket upgrades) for $250 a year for ALL OUR BIKES COMBINED.

.....End of the story, she found a company that combines all our bikes on one policy (Dairyland would only write a max of 3 bikes to one policy), gives us MORE coverage (uninsured motorist +$3500 aftermarket upgrades) for $250 a year for ALL OUR BIKES COMBINED.

and that insurance company is?????

Dairyland did a good deal on my Bonnie and FZ1. I insured both with full coverage for about $400 per year, but sounds like you got a way better deal.

drlapo

Hooligan
unfortunalty many times you must "jump" insurance companies in order to get the best price. many compnaies offer teaser rates for the first year only to increase the rate each year even though the bike is worth less

Bonafide

NBR founder
unfortunalty many times you must "jump" insurance companies in order to get the best price. many compnaies offer teaser rates for the first year only to increase the rate each year even though the bike is worth less

My rate with Dairyland never increased - and I had been with them for many years. It was only here recently that with every new bike acquisition where they tried to screw me. Another example would be the 2007 Ducati SC1000s I bought - they want $900 a yr for it. I rode it for 3 months and sold it because of the ridiculous insurance cost.

I dont know the new is company name yet. Frontier something or other. I'm meeting with my agent this afternoon to sign papers.

ssjones

750cc
Eagerly waiting for a ride report on this one. I'm going to need a replacement for my aging America (40k) and my use needs seem to mimic yours.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
the 800 is more than 100 lbs lighter. I like the 19 inch front wheel. The bike is basically a standard, essentially its the modern equivalent of what a Bonneville was in 1970. If Triumph had modified and updated the Bonny every couple of years from then til now, I bet the result would be very similar to the Tiger 800.

The only thing I am not crazy about on all the new naked bikes is all the little pieces of plastic all over. Its lots and lots of parts...and I wish they spent a little more time cleaning them up, the old bikes look clean, the faired bikes too, the nakeds are a little busy - but thats just me.

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
Yup, my bike is rated at weighing 460-ish. I also like the frontend styling on the 800 MUCH more and the bike has a different stance. looks like more grounf clearance too. To me, the Tiger 1050 is more of a Standard - where the 800 can be much more.

The new insurance is thru FOREMOST INS GROUP.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I was going past Branchville Motors this morning . They are a Triumph/Guzzi/Vespa dealer near me. Saw the Tiger 800 parked outside,(coincidently white) and checked it out and sat on it. I really liked the room and stance. Felt big and tall, much different than the Street Triple which by comparison feels small,tight and leaned way forward. Its not for short people. I am 6'-3' and of course I could flat foot it easy, but I noticed it was pretty high compared to my Bonneville. Immediately I saw the advantages of that. The riding position felt natural. Looked and felt more like a big tall adventure bike than I expected.

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
Just got back from doing my first 100 miles on it - and it still has a half tank of fuel.

Wow.

Someone stuck a sport bike engine in an adventure bike. It's definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. It will power wheelie. That's how much usable TORQUE it has. Passing ability at 55mph in 6th gear - just twist the throttle. I've kept it under 6k rpms. Redline is 10k. It'll lean over as far as you feel comfortable with. Little soft on the suspension, but I figure that's because it's a multi-use bike/platform. Brakes are nice. Mine is a NON-ABS. I figured I've survived 30 yrs without it, why give myself a handicap/false sense of security when I didnt feel like spending the money.

Riding position is very natural. Feels like sitting at a table. Of course, it has all one would expect from a modern bike. I know what gear I'm in, what time it is, a fuel gauge (and rolling avg MPG option), 6 speed trans, etc.

I did notice a bit a more wind buffering/noise than I was expecting. Expect it's the small/stock windscreen. Stand up on the pegs (again very natural feeling) at 70mph and it gets as quiet as a church. I thought that odd.

Low speed maneuverability - AMAZING. Feels like my KLX250 dual sport. Very light and sure footed feel.

In short ... I LOVE THIS BIKE. It's pure utilitarian.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Did another 80 or so miles, on some tight goat-trail road and then 20 miles of riding two up. Didnt even know GF was back there.

Attachments

• first_ride_april2_11.jpg
    first_ride_april2_11.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

Did another 80 or so miles, on some tight goat-trail road and then 20 miles of riding two up. Didnt even know GF was back there.

Congrats....that is a great looking bike. Sounds like she performs as well. Tell us what you find out about the wind noise.
Thx
LMT

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Just got back from doing my first 100 miles on it - and it still has a half tank of fuel.

Wow.

Someone stuck a sport bike engine in an adventure bike. It's definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. It will power wheelie. That's how much usable TORQUE it has. Passing ability at 55mph in 6th gear - just twist the throttle. I've kept it under 6k rpms. Redline is 10k. It'll lean over as far as you feel comfortable with. Little soft on the suspension, but I figure that's because it's a multi-use bike/platform. Brakes are nice. Mine is a NON-ABS. I figured I've survived 30 yrs without it, why give myself a handicap/false sense of security when I didnt feel like spending the money.

Riding position is very natural. Feels like sitting at a table. Of course, it has all one would expect from a modern bike. I know what gear I'm in, what time it is, a fuel gauge (and rolling avg MPG option), 6 speed trans, etc.

I did notice a bit a more wind buffering/noise than I was expecting. Expect it's the small/stock windscreen. Stand up on the pegs (again very natural feeling) at 70mph and it gets as quiet as a church. I thought that odd.

Low speed maneuverability - AMAZING. Feels like my KLX250 dual sport. Very light and sure footed feel.

In short ... I LOVE THIS BIKE. It's pure utilitarian.

Glad you're loving her! I stopped by Freedom last week and she was sitting there with your name on it, then I went over to look at your Bonnie... I forgot to ask what they were asking for her, I'm sure she'll make someone happy. I can't wait to take a ride on one when the Demo truck gets here next week.