Metal Fenders

wolfie

Two Stroke
Hey Steamfitter. Sounds like your mishap turned out to be a happy little accident in the end.

Incidentally, why do you like the metal better?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious. Is it more rigid, durable, apearance, etc.?

To be honest, I was initially cheesed at the plastic bits on my Bonnie. I had been drooling on them since 05, and finally got the scratch together to buy mine in 07. The 05's I looked at had metal side covers and fenders. My 07 has metal rear fender, and plastic front and side covers.

I liked the idea of metal side covers at the time, because I had just broken the sidecover on my old Suzuki. At present, after some time to get over it, I don't mind the plastic.

+1 for the metal argument: Durability.

wolfie

Two Stroke
Metal won't rust either if you take care of it. It's painted, for chrissake. Are you worried about your engine rusting?

Pull the metal front fender off of any old bike. The underside is rusting.

Taking care of it would involve painting the underside and repairing the rock chips periodically. Or one could powder coat them. They would still chip, but not near as often.

Again, I apologize if I'm coming off as argumentative. I really don't see that one or the other is superior. Like I said 6 of 1...

Both metal and plastic have pros and cons.

P.S. It just occured to me that we get concerned about this crap in the winter because we're not out riding and we need something to occupy our time. :) Spring can't get here fast enough.

Last edited:

BonneBray

Scooter
Pull the metal front fender off of any old bike. The underside is rusting.

Taking care of it would involve painting the underside and repairing the rock chips periodically. Or one could powder coat them. They would still chip, but not near as often.

Again, I apologize if I'm coming off as argumentative. I really don't see that one or the other is superior. Like I said 6 of 1...

Both metal and plastic have pros and cons.

P.S. It just occured to me that we get concerned about this crap in the winter because we're not out riding and we need something to occupy our time. :) Spring can't get here fast enough.
I guess I'm just too concerned with looks. Maybe I've been in Hollyweird too long. Ha! Ha!

steamfitter

Two Stroke
wolfie. yes, in a way, that accident did have a side benefit. although, i would much more have prefered to not have it! anyway, the reason i like the metal fender is that i believed it is keeping with the nostalgic part of the bonnies. yes, i know they can rust. yes, they can get dented easy, but i personally don't like all the plastic on what is supposed to be a retro bike. i don't have any particular reason for replacing the plastic. in fact, if i hadn't wrecked the bike, it would still have the plastic fenders. i do, however, like its looks after giving it some mcguires polish and liquid gold wax! now, if triumph would ditch the plastic instrument covers and the plastic side covers for something more appropriate i would really be happy! if the side covers were metal and came in forest green, i would be downright giddy! -keith

bonZa

Street Tracker
anyway, the reason i like the metal fender is that i believed it is keeping with the nostalgic part of the bonnies. yes, i know they can rust. yes, they can get dented easy, but i personally don't like all the plastic on what is supposed to be a retro bike. i don't have any particular reason for replacing the plastic. in fact, if i hadn't wrecked the bike, it would still have the plastic fenders. i do, however, like its looks after giving it some mcguires polish and liquid gold wax! now, if triumph would ditch the plastic instrument covers and the plastic side covers for something more appropriate i would really be happy! if the side covers were metal and came in forest green, i would be downright giddy! -keith

good words

hbj74

Scooter
I had to replase my front fender on my 09 anniv. bike ( some meat head backed into me ), i took it to the body repairs place, because it was plastic they could not do anything with it, so i ended up paying around $400 for a new one, Thats one of the only downfalls of a limited edition bike, you pay more because of the colour scheem.
Cheers Haydn

Hedge

American Infidel
My '07 Bonnie has the plastic front fender, metal rear, plastic side covers. At first I was a little disappointed with the plastic, but then I took the same attitude as KingBear. At least my front fender and side covers won't rust!
Strange - my 07 Black has metal front and rear and plastic side covers. I wonder why your front was plastic? Of course, now that I have changed over to bobbed they are both plastic and the metal ones are in inventory for my buddy Jimmy should he decide to take his Green to the Dark Side. :D

koifarm

Hooligan
My 07 bonnie, goodwood green,plastic front and rear fenders.
Does the VIN number have a manufacturing date embedded?

Oxblood

750cc
Strange - my 07 Black has metal front and rear and plastic side covers. I wonder why your front was plastic? Of course, now that I have changed over to bobbed they are both plastic and the metal ones are in inventory for my buddy Jimmy should he decide to take his Green to the Dark Side. :D

07 plastic front metal back here. I hated the plastic so much I took it off!:up:
P1010409.JPG

Just kidding! I figure it's not an old bike no matter how much you squint and pretend it is so if plastics the ticket then I'm A-OK with that.

--Oxblood

CJSouza

moped
My metal rear fender on my 2001 shakes around like crazy. I'm going to build some inner fender stiffener strutts.
Chris