Metal Fenders

BonneBray

Scooter
Metal isn't necessarilly better than plastic.
I don't see modern technology as cheapening the bike.

I think it is. Besides the fact that plastic just LOOKS cheap, it vibrates more, is less durable and breaks easier. Aesthetics is important to me. Don't be fooled by the corp making cost-saving decisions and calling it "improvements". The only thing they're improving is their bottom-line.

Looks like I'm getting closer to making a decision about what bike to get...

BonneBray

Scooter
Wow! I had no idea the newer ones have plastic fenders. I have an '05 with metal front and rear.

In my opinion, the '05 Bonneville Blacks are the best of the "new-school" Bonnies. Congrats!

Wish I could get one that wasn't beat to shit for a decent price.

(edited) It doesn't affect the looks or performance one bit. That said, I do notice a definite decrease of quality as the model years progress. ie. black engine cases, urine cup brake reservoir, etc.

I love the black engine cases as well as the black engine on my Bonneville Black. The purtiest bonnie on the road IMHO! As for the "urine cup" brake reservoir, t'aint seen one in the flesh soooo, no opinion on that.

As far as making changes to the line to improve the "bottom line", Bull pucky. In these days of increasing production costs, Triumph is trying to keep prices down to the customer so that people will continue to be able to afford them and ride them and turn a reasonable profit at the same time. I'd venture a guess that if Triumph had not made these changes to the line, a Bonnie would cost close to or above $10,000 U.S. now.

If the engineers can figure a way to use Yak dung :bug: :eeek: to make a part, not sacrificing reliabiblity and performance and slow down inflationary pressures in the process so much the better for the consumers.

I would like to see Triumph corp make some parts the old fashioned way for those who have unlimited $$$$$ to spend. Then they could make the bike suit themselves, at cost, of course.

BonneBray

Scooter
I'd venture a guess that if Triumph had not made these changes to the line, a Bonnie would cost close to or above $10,000 U.S. now.

...so much the better for the consumers.

I would like to see Triumph corp make some parts the old fashioned way for those who have unlimited $$$$$ to spend. Then they could make the bike suit themselves, at cost, of course.

Out the door my Bonneville Black was about $8500. That's getting pretty close to $10k already. In fact, so close that I briefly considered spending a bit more and getting a Ducati Sport Classic (around $11500). But I preferred the style and look of the Triumph. If they start messing with the cool style for the sake of cost, I'll be really bummed.

I really do wish they would sell "old-fashioned" parts, but they only sell that silly 68 stuff. I, for one, would gladly pay more to be able to easily get great reproduction parts. Maybe most wouldn't. Who knows.

I can't agree with you, however, that producing things more cheaply is automatically better for consumers. Giving consumers quality and value is better for them. Not dumbing them down and forcing feeding them inferior products.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Fenders

My RR fender wobbles a bit @ idle- not a problem tho. The metal ft one is still as the plastic I am sure? I think the plastic on the ft would make it a bit more forgiving in a small bump if they are flexible plastic? I like the metal on the RR tho. Plastic just wouldnt seem rite! As far as the "Best" dont forget the 04!!
I got an 04 BB & put chrome covers & valve cover on it. Looks awesome!!
W/ the black engine casings- it looks like an old original split unit from the late 50's!

bonZa

Street Tracker
must admit I couldnt tell the difference between plastic and metal fenders (we call them mud guards) until I stuck a magnet on them.

the front plastic one doesnt wobble with engine idle, but Im glad the rear is metal.

personally, I prefer metal over plastic, but maybe that because I make a living out of the steel industry

KingBear

Hooligan
Mine are steel. To me it adds an image of quality, but I guess it's probably a false image. Plastic is lighter and won't rust.

T-boy

Rocker
My '07 Bonnie has the plastic front fender, metal rear, plastic side covers. At first I was a little disappointed with the plastic, but then I took the same attitude as KingBear. At least my front fender and side covers won't rust!

BonneBray

Scooter
Metal won't rust either if you take care of it. It's painted, for chrissake. Are you worried about your engine rusting?

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
To each, his own.
It's my experience that plastic fenders don't look any different and plastic parts are definately lighter.
Properly designed plastic parts don't vibrate any more than thin steel and flex rather than bend.
It also tends to crack less when it does vibrate.

I think it's just another thing to get on the "mines better than yours "soap box".

Everyone loves to claim whatever they have is best.

wolfie

Two Stroke
I love the black engine cases as well as the black engine on my Bonneville Black. The purtiest bonnie on the road IMHO!

I like the black engine cases too. Having owned a couple of 25+ year old motorcycles, I like the idea of the durability and ease of maintainence that comes with the powder coating.

Triumph likes the powder coating as well, for an entirely different reason. They don't have the expense involved in brushing the aluminum, nor being forced to discard cases due to cosmetic flaws. Hence my opinion that Triumph is cheapening the Bonneville.

Again, to be fair, I can't blame them. The Bonneville is an entry level bike. It is positioned at a specific price point to draw customers to the Triumph brand. Keeping the price low is necessary for the Bonneville to remain successful.

Carnation

Street Tracker
I like the black engine cases too. Having owned a couple of 25+ year old motorcycles, I like the idea of the durability and ease of maintainence that comes with the powder coating.

Triumph likes the powder coating as well, for an entirely different reason. They don't have the expense involved in brushing the aluminum, nor being forced to discard cases due to cosmetic flaws. Hence my opinion that Triumph is cheapening the Bonneville.

Again, to be fair, I can't blame them. The Bonneville is an entry level bike. It is positioned at a specific price point to draw customers to the Triumph brand. Keeping the price low is necessary for the Bonneville to remain successful.

Seems there's a little confusion here.

Not all Bonnies have black casings, only the SE.

The T100 has chrome, and the Bonneville has brushed aluminium.

steamfitter

Two Stroke
hi all. to add a little insight to the original question. my 08 t100 had plastic fenders. due to a newbie collision with a curb, i was forced to replace the front fender. if you all look at yours, you will notice there is a seperate metal brace between the forks that the plastic fender mounts to. when i ordered a new fender from the dealer, i was given a METAL fender that was in the factory green color and the metal brace has been spot welded to the fender making it a one piece deal. don't know but you might try ordering one of these fenders. mine is considerably better than the stock plastic deal. forgot to mention that the brace was factory green also. way cool! -keith

steamfitter

Two Stroke
forgot to mention that when i recieved the metal fender from the dealer we looked at all of the other t100's he had in stock. all of them had the metal fenders. i bought mine with plastic fenders, probably a month or so before. not sure of why there had been a change, but it seemed to both of us, that maybe triumph had made a production change mid year. -keith