Metal Fenders

drlapo

Hooligan
weight, cost= lighter and less expensive=better
my 85 BMW has plastic mud guards and they are holdng up fine

Bonafide

NBR founder
My 2006 Bonnie had metal fenders. I cant recall if it was 07 or 08, but they switched to the plastic ones on production.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Shaking? The rear fender? If so, you can find those (metal) on ebay quite often. The fronts rarely show up.

Iceseven

750cc
My 06 Scram has rear metal and front plastic, I like the front plastic because it doesn't sound so bad when rocks hit it from underneath. My 04 Bonnie had metal all around.

MOSES

750cc
My 06 Scram has rear metal and front plastic, I like the front plastic because it doesn't sound so bad when rocks hit it from underneath. My 04 Bonnie had metal all around.

That knock is alot nicer than a loud PING !
They dont dent and crack the paint either. thats nice

six by six

Two Stroke
My 04 Bonnie is all metal. Holy crap the new ones are plastic? Better take better care of mine. I'm sure you can find used metal ones.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
I'm glad mine came with a plastic front fender; sure made bobbing that sucker with a Dremel much easier.

My rear was metal; it's completely gone though.

AndyB

moped
Interesting thing is that the Triumph web site lists no difference to the weight. You'd have thought that with the switch to plastic parts there would have been a reduction. My '02 T100 was metal, and I remember the commotion when the side panels became plastic.

Personally, I'm not worried. Plastics technology has evolved by leaps and bounds over the last few decades. You Americans are very fond of your metal in everything, but I'd say horses for courses.

regards

Andy

BonneBray

Scooter
My '07 had metal front fender and plastic side covers and rear fender. I guess the '08s were the first to have plastic fenders all around.

It's starting to seem like, as Triumphs are becoming more popular, the company is trying to capitalize as much as possible and cut costs in an effort to make as much $ as they can before the trend changes. I'm sure plastic is cheaper to manufacture, but not as durable.

The same thing happened to the NorthFace company back in the day. In an effort to improve profit margins, and lower costs so more people could afford their brand, they lowered the quality standards to the point that now NorthFace jackets are little more than fashion and have little resemblance to the earlier products.

This seems to be happening to Triumph and it's EXTREMELY disappointing. When they first started marketing the new Bonnies a few years ago, I was excited because they were quality bikes with modern engineering but still held onto the "retro" feel. Now I'm afraid they're going too far.

Last edited:

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Fenders

I got an 04 w/ al metal fenders. Plastic on the front woukld seem a benefit to me? No creases or small bends from doing stupid little stuff! I prefer the metal in the RR tho. A personal thing I guess? I cant see the paper thin metal Ft fenders weighing a lot more than plastic? Maybe. The plastic seems a lot more forgiving tho maybe not original?

bonZa

Street Tracker
My '07 had metal front fender and plastic side covers and rear fender. I guess the '08s were the first to have plastic fenders all around.

thats odd. mine has plastic front, metal rear and plastic side covers.

and the chain guard is metal, which I found surprising.

and if I recall correctly my original 1976 T140 all those years ago had plastic two part side covers as well.

BonneBray

Scooter

thats odd. mine has plastic front, metal rear and plastic side covers.

and the chain guard is metal, which I found surprising.

and if I recall correctly my original 1976 T140 all those years ago had plastic two part side covers as well.
Wait...I might be remembering that backwards. Point remains that it bugs me they're starting to skimp on the quality of the bike's components. It's seriously making me reconsider getting another one.

wolfie

Two Stroke
Meh? Plastic doesn't rust or dent. You can beak it, but if you hit your fender hard enough to break the plastic, likely you would have dented a metal one.

It's a "six of one, half dozen of the other" thing as far as I'm concerned.

It doesn't affect the looks or performance one bit. That said, I do notice a definite decrease of quality as the model years progress. ie. black engine cases, urine cup brake reservoir, etc.