Is Thunderbird a dirty word here??

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
I think the T-BIRD is begging for someone to make it leaner and meaner.
Modified suspension, seating, pegs, bars....pull off some wt and start to work with the handling....this could be a fun project if I had the "dosh" as the Brits say.
LMT
I just got back from a 40 mile loop through the Altamont hills and back home. It's twisty all the way although there are also lots of 70-80 mph turns as well (draggin' foot pegs). My new Thunderbird with 440 Progressives doesn't need anything else! It's a handling dream, at least as stable as my Bonnevilles. Lowering the center of gravity made it more fun to ride as well as giving it the "look" it needs. I've got lots more I'm gonna do to this one...

8-16-09cw.jpg

Not so keen on screen personally. Would a small one not suffice considering your quite low down anyway?. Otherwise love it and the mods (jeez I love all yr bikes!). Keep up the reports mate.

ivar

TT Racer
I think the T-BIRD is begging for someone to make it leaner and meaner.
Modified suspension, seating, pegs, bars....pull off some wt and start to work with the handling....
From the reports, it sounds like the Triumph engineers hit pretty good with the t-bird in regards to handling.
But a leaner, meaner version would be killer!

When will we see the first T-Bird rat bobber? :lol:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
.." also lots of 70-80 mph turns as well (draggin' foot pegs). My new Thunderbird with 440 Progressives doesn't need anything else! It's a handling dream."

See, to me, dragging foot pegs means I HAVE to do something. But I like to know I can really lean that bitch over. I guess I am a pussy - but I never drag my Bonny foot pegs becuase I shift my weight iside and forward. But put me on a cruiser and I'm draggin'.

strokerlmt

Nice bike but I have to agree about the windscreen. It seems it could be lower since driver is lower.
That vert twin is massive. Really impressive....
Bob front fender.....slight bob on the back....
Powder coat the chrome braces on the rear fender.....
Have some smart ass build you a shorter wider just behind the pipes radiator to make it stand out less.......
Dual lites......move guages forward and tilt bac to be able to read with a D9 special bracket........
Nice clean huge gas tank.......
Perhaps a super responsive pair of shocks on the back.......
Beef up and tune front forks.....

Anyone have an idea about seating and pegs ???

Powder coat some of the chrome bits....
Cut down the pipes........ceramic coat
Some carbon fiber bits to get some wt off....
maybe some alloys to lighten wt.....

Must be mod dreaming.......
Didn't mean to slice and dice your bike.

Nice t-bird

LMT

D9

Vendor
Nice bike but I have to agree about the windscreen. It seems it could be lower since driver is lower.
That vert twin is massive. Really impressive....
Bob front fender.....slight bob on the back....
Powder coat the chrome braces on the rear fender.....
Have some smart ass build you a shorter wider just behind the pipes radiator to make it stand out less.......
Dual lites......move guages forward and tilt bac to be able to read with a D9 special bracket........
Nice clean huge gas tank.......
Perhaps a super responsive pair of shocks on the back.......
Beef up and tune front forks.....

Anyone have an idea about seating and pegs ???

Powder coat some of the chrome bits....
Cut down the pipes........ceramic coat
Some carbon fiber bits to get some wt off....
maybe some alloys to lighten wt.....

Must be mod dreaming.......
Didn't mean to slice and dice your bike.

Nice t-bird

LMT

+1 again... just narrowing the tank, lowering the bars, lose
the screen, change to an old skool smaller headlamp, narrow the
front fender... lotsa possibilities for some customizing... wouldn't
be surprised if there's several shops already working on some serious
T-bird mods!

biker7

Banned
Don't take this wrong Grant but I would much rather have your Norton than the new Tbird. I just came off a bike like the Tbird...the Vegas which I feel is a better bike...at least in style and possibly even the motor...for what it is...much cleaner Ness inspired design. I really don't view Triumph as adept at building cruisers really. I know you have a Rocket and now new Tbird and love each but I would rather have a modded Vegas, Big dog or even a tricked out Harley. No doubt the Tbird is an excellent bike but there are too many things about it I would have to change. I like cruisers but they are about style and they have to be raked out and clean. :)
To me, the Norton, 50th anniv and of course coveted '69 bonnie are the bikes of choice...my favorite being your favorite...the Norton...motorcycle art.
Cheers,
George
PS: Grant, did you add that fairing to the Norton when it was restored?...is that fairing available in the aftermarket?

Worth another look :)
4-5-2009cc-web.jpg

Last edited:

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
TETO, I guess. I prefer my big motors liquid cooled. As for lean and the Bonnie/cruiser, I have both a Bonnie and a R3. I drag the R3 often but by hanging off a bit, and it can be done without much fanfare, I can turn the beast much more sharply if needed.
For those who think a cruiser cannot be hustled around with most other bikes I invite you to attend the next Bennington Bash and watch my bud Jim on his R3 with a car tire hang for 300 miles with the Speed 3, Street 3, and Daytona riders.
It's always the same-bikes, sleds, dirt, whatever. It's the rider. We have a guy around here with a hopped-up 1800 VTX that smokes the Ducati hot-shoes on a regular basis.
Back to Bennington, there are a WHOLE bunch of guys who could NOT believe the R3 stayed with them all day. I'm quick and they lost me, all of them, in 10 miles!
I recall a trail ride on sleds in Mi several winters ago with a pro Ski-Doo racer on a 440 when we all had much bigger iron-at LEAST 20mph on him top end. NOBODY could get within a country mile of this guy after 15 minutes of wooded trails that included some wide open areas where the HP came into play.
Lean angle on the street never seems to slow the really skilled riders I know-the R3 and VTX remind me of that often! I need another track day for sure. Just my own 2 cents.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Ok, but regarding the forward controls; I am asking this seriously because I never had a bike with forward controls. You can't really hang off , can you , with your feet way ahead?

biker7

Banned
I believe you can Sal...at least with the Tbird. The controls aren't way out there. Easier on a mid or rearset bike of course.
I echo the comments of K of F. I surely is about the rider. But have to say...and I place myself in the average sporty rider category...the difference between the ease of riding my Vegas versus Bonny fast is "substantial". The bonny will handle rings around it. I have to believe the Tbird is better handling than the Vegas but no doubt the rider again is the great equalizer.
George

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
Not so keen on screen personally. Would a small one not suffice considering your quite low down anyway?. Otherwise love it and the mods (jeez I love all yr bikes!). Keep up the reports mate.
Thanks!
icon10.gif

Anything smaller is not effective enough to bother with and a Windvest removes quickly when I don't need it.

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
.." also lots of 70-80 mph turns as well (draggin' foot pegs). My new Thunderbird with 440 Progressives doesn't need anything else! It's a handling dream."

See, to me, dragging foot pegs means I HAVE to do something. But I like to know I can really lean that bitch over. I guess I am a pussy - but I never drag my Bonny foot pegs becuase I shift my weight iside and forward. But put me on a cruiser and I'm draggin'.
When I mentioned draggin' foot pegs I didn't mean to imply I was dragging them frequently. I only hit the right one once and never on the left. I ment we were riding quite agressively and I was really getting into cornering hard with the Thunderbird, This bike has a lot more clearence than my Jap cruisers. You are really getting over before it drags!

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
Don't take this wrong Grant but I would much rather have your Norton than the new Tbird. I just came off a bike like the Tbird...the Vegas which I feel is a better bike...
I've ridden a Vegas, 2 Visions and one other Victory motorcycle and although I feel they are superior to harleys I am not inspired by them. They are just too slow. Having ridden many miles on Jap cruisers like the VTX 1800 and Zuki M109 they do not compare. I like the way a Vegas handles better than a VTX but the VTX (1800) is much faster and a M109 flat runs away from a Vegas.
... but I would rather have a modded Vegas, Big dog or even a tricked out Harley.
I've ridden several S&S powered production as well as custom built choppers and their power was not what they claim, ay least when compared with the big Jap cruisers. They claim 140hp but I'd like to know what they were smoking 'cause they don't begin to make that kind of power!
...No doubt the Tbird is an excellent bike but there are too many things about it I would have to change. I like cruisers but they are about style and they have to be raked out and clean. :)
One of the things I'm so impressed about the Triumph Thunderbird is how few areas need attention. I'm working on a new rear fender and raked triple trees for it which should be in production by next spring.
PS: Grant, did you add that fairing to the Norton when it was restored?...is that fairing available in the aftermarket?
The fairing is a vintage BMW R90S with original (working) ammeter and clock. Reproductions have been made over the years but I don't know if they are still in production.

biker7

Banned
I've ridden a Vegas, 2 Visions and one other Victory motorcycle and although I feel they are superior to harleys I am not inspired by them. They are just too slow. Having ridden many miles on Jap cruisers like the VTX 1800 and Zuki M109 they do not compare. I like the way a Vegas handles better than a VTX but the VTX (1800) is much faster and a M109 flat runs away from a Vegas.
I've ridden several S&S powered production as well as custom built choppers and their power was not what they claim, ay least when compared with the big Jap cruisers. They claim 140hp but I'd like to know what they were smoking 'cause they don't begin to make that kind of power!

One of the things I'm so impressed about the Triumph Thunderbird is how few areas need attention. I'm working on a new rear fender and raked triple trees for it which should be in production by next spring.

The fairing is a vintage BMW R90S with original (working) ammeter and clock. Reproductions have been made over the years but I don't know if they are still in production.
Thanks for sharing your perspective Grant as you really know about all different kinds of bikes. Your praise of the Tbird suggests to me it must be a whale of a motorcycle. I sure never felt like the Vegas was slow...mine was stage 1 tune and would turn the quarter at 12.5...certainly faster than our EFI Bonnies. Would really like to know if a Tbird would outrun it but suffice to say both bikes are fast enough or could easily be built to outrun one another. Don't know what S&S bikes you have raced but I do know in the right tune some are wicked fast. A raced such a bike with my Vegas and it wasn't even close....124" S&S. He pulled me like I was riding a moped but then he had about $10K in that motor. :)
Ride safe and thanks again for sharing your perspective,
George
The fairing on your Norton looks like it belongs. In particular, I like how it works with the stock handlebar height.

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
Here's an updated photo showing the new, short TORs I received and installed yesterday. I like them! They are quite a bit louder than stock but still far from obnoxious and they retain the catalytic converter in the stock location. I wanted more sound and a shorter style.

8-24-09cw.jpg

8-24-09aw.jpg