Is Thunderbird a dirty word here??

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
X,
Nice work with the Super Hawk! That brings back a lot of memories but none of them have it cranked over that far. I keep hoping some day I'll find one those in restoreable condition in a barn or somewhere.

Cheers

Oh, the Norton's nice too!
Here's my current Superhawk.
I picked it up a couple months ago:

IMG_0561.JPG

I won't try to recreate the '68 lean angle photo I posted though... :D
No Photoshop used!!!!!

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
For those that enjoy seeing them here are a few more pics of some of my bikes:

6-13-09e.jpg

1969 BSA Lightning - Unrestored with 7,500 original miles. As with all of my bikes I ride it weekly.

03-08-09-5.jpg

1969 Triumph Bonneville - Restored by Randy Baxter in Ia.
Took 1st in class in San Jose earlier this year.

IMG_0435.jpg

6-3-09-b.jpg

1981 Honda CB 900F - Unrestored with 4400 miles.
All stock, even the exhausts!
This bike is lot's of fun and a strong runner!

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
Met Jay Leno once.....man does he know his motorcycles and yes he is a Brit fan and wants to see them come back.

xchopper.....very nice pics....nice lean angle. I had a 69 Bonneville and my uncle had a 305 ......I remember the rubber in those days.....Young and dumb ;-) with that lean. Very nice.....keep the pics and stories coming.

LMT
You're right about being young and dumb!
I crashed that same bike (and others) a couple of times perfecting my techinique! Today's tires make it easy!

D9

Vendor
D9.....great photoshop BUT you need to beef up teh frame to hold onto to that beastie engine.
LMT

LMT... not my photoshop, just grabbed it off thruxton-forum.de

I'd post acknowledgement if I knew who did it. Agreed... probably would need an entirely
custom frame... still, I like that T-bird engine, have since I first saw it... really hope Triumph eventually gets creative with it. :D

Last edited:

biker7

Banned
Grant,
A question to a man that has owned some really fine motorcycles...
Of all the bikes you have owned or still own, what is your favorite to ride?
And no fair to say the one you are on. ;)
Cheers,
George
PS: the proportion of your 69 Bonnie is just perfect. As much as I like the Bonnie remake, I still believe the early bikes are more beautiful. Your 69 Bonny is now my desktop. :)...exceptional.

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
Grant,
A question to a man that has owned some really fine motorcycles...
Of all the bikes you have owned or still own, what is your favorite to ride?
And no fair to say the one you are on. ;)
Cheers,
George
PS: the proportion of your 69 Bonnie is just perfect. As much as I like the Bonnie remake, I still believe the early bikes are more beautiful. Your 69 Bonny is now my desktop. :)...exceptional.
Thanks for the extreme compliment Sir!
Of all my 12 bikes I'd have to say my Norton is the most fun for solo rides through the mountains. It's power is very similar to my '09 Bonnie, maybe a tad more and the sound from the peashooters is nirvana. :D

Here's anothe pic of my T120R for ya:

03-08-09-3.jpg

Last edited:

becket

Two Stroke
The T-Bird bike is big, but proportioned I think; it flows well, though they borrowed at least a bit from the older Road Kings with the beach-type bars and tank I think (just what came to mind anyway). One thing I did notice at the Triumph shop (Arlen Ness Daytona) the other day, was that the head/rocker box/cylinder strangely resemble the Cartoon movie 'Wall-E robot' guy-thing, with those big round bug-eyes and grill-head (no, I just saw the commercials, thank you). Its like its "looking" at me, and I never even did acid waaaaay back when... . Obviously a marketing ploy to tap into weaker minds.

Last edited:

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
One thing I did notice at the Triumph shop (Arlen Ness Daytona) the other day, was that the head/rocker box/cylinder strangely resemble the Cartoon movie 'Wall-E robot' guy-thing,...
Really? Arlen Ness is selling Triumphs in Daytona? I live 25 miles from the Arlen Ness shop in Pleasanton, Ca and Triumph is a dirty word there!

becket

Two Stroke
Yeah, its a Ducati/Triumph/Buell dealership at Rossmeyer's (poor guy, r.i.p.)Destination Daytona, with Arlen's name attatched and he has other stuff around down there. Its REALLY Rossmeyer's daughter Shelly's deal. www.arlennessdaytona.com

Last edited:

Beaman

Two Stroke
Dublin

Really? Arlen Ness is selling Triumphs in Daytona? I live 25 miles from the Arlen Ness shop in Pleasanton, Ca and Triumph is a dirty word there!

I used to live in Dublin and I saw they have a dealer there - things have changed in the last 30 years. Our small ranch that we lived in would go for over a million now. What a farce!

Beaman

Two Stroke
Here's my two cents on this "debate" - there are a lot of different types of women that are all beautiful. We all have our preferences, but that doesn't change that they are still beautiful. Bikes are the same. Like my wife, I feel very loyal to my Bonnie but that doesn't change the fact that others enjoy a different set of ergonomics or function. Cyber-posturing really is obnoxious, isn't it?

Last edited:

biker7

Banned
Thanks for the extreme compliment Sir!
Of all my 12 bikes I'd have to say my Norton is the most fun for solo rides through the mountains. It's power is very similar to my '09 Bonnie, maybe a tad more and the sound from the peashooters is nirvana. :D

Here's anothe pic of my T120R for ya:
Pretty remarkable how power has evolved over the years isn't it Grant? In its day that Norton was considered an absolute fire breather and today the EFI bonny in the motorcycle spectrum is considered relatively sedate and yet the power is close between the two bikes. The other thing I am struck by is of all the bikes you own you obviously still like the handling of the Norton to enjoy riding it so much...a testiment to just how good those bikes were and still are. I have a childhood friend who still owns his Norton.
Cheers,
George

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
Pretty remarkable how power has evolved over the years isn't it Grant? In its day that Norton was considered an absolute fire breather and today the EFI bonny in the motorcycle spectrum is considered relatively sedate and yet the power is close between the two bikes. The other thing I am struck by is of all the bikes you own you obviously still like the handling of the Norton to enjoy riding it so much...a testiment to just how good those bikes were and still are. I have a childhood friend who still owns his Norton.
Cheers,
George
You understand me well George
icon12.gif

Nortons were very impressive in their day and they still are although modern Bonnies handle a bit better.
Too bad Norton didn't continue to evolve as Triumph has.
We can only speculate how cool they would be now...

4-5-2009cc-web.jpg

innominate

Street Tracker
After lookin at a tbird I figured it would prob be better to get a used America or speedmaster. throw in a 904 kit and then customize it how ya like. That'd be cheaper and more personalized than a tbird. Now I just gotta find a used bike.....

strokerlmt

I think the T-BIRD is begging for someone to make it leaner and meaner.
Modified suspension, seating, pegs, bars....pull off some wt and start to work with the handling....this could be a fun project if I had the "dosh" as the Brits say.
LMT

D9

Vendor
I think the T-BIRD is begging for someone to make it leaner and meaner.
Modified suspension, seating, pegs, bars....pull off some wt and start to work with the handling....this could be a fun project if I had the "dosh" as the Brits say.
LMT

+1

When someone leans the bike out... and does it right... could be
very cool indeed.